WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are some must haves for someone who just got a smoker

Deven45

Banned
Reaction score
I am picking up my new smoker tomorrow and would like to know if there is any must have items for a newbie I know I am going to need some pellets I am picking up a pit boss vertical smoker

what brand of pellets do you guys use and any flavored pellets that I must get also any grill accessories such as a better thermometer then what comes with it and also any must have rubs and any other tips you can recommend to someone who has never smoked before but has cooked a lot with gas grills

wallnutz

Reaction score
Been using the Camp Chef pellets, good flavor and seem to go through less of them per cook compared to other brands.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The best thing I did when I started was, start a journal. I write down all my recipes, times, wood type, heat and how the outcome was. Smoking is a hobby that takes time to master. I laugh when I look back at my Salmon recipes and how I did it. Now I poach brine it with salt, sugar and brown sugar, let sit over night in frig. Then flood the smoke on it for a good bark. Bag for 24hrs.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Big, big quality tongs.
Big, big quality spatulas.
Those heat proof - burn proof gloves.

Wireless meat thermometer.

RodnJen

Reaction score
A music source and a nearby beer fridge.

Depending on the size of your grates, something to clean/degrease them. The rest you’ll figure out along the way.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
A couple cooking mats so small items don't fall thru grills. If it doesn't come with searing grilles( if it goes hot enough). I usually keep one side grill and one side searing, but it's a good size grill by rec tec and will heat to 500+.
As said large tin foil so you can put a few layers on drip pan and remove 1 at a time as they get dirty without having to clean all the time.
There's good places to buy pellets like the store in Simi Valley, but for cheap Pellets with good reviews the Pit Boss at Home Depot usually around $15 for 40lbs is hard to beat.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I also have a Pit Boss vertical. I use their competition blend pellets. Sold at Lowe’s in 40lb bags. I invested in the igrill Bluetooth thermometer, and it has been great

Reactions: TPC

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Quality meat thermometers digital or otherwise.
Lots of foil.
Lots of different rubs.

It’s beneficial to make notes on rubs, temps, times etc as you experiment!

Almost everything I smoke/ cook is a modified version of book recipe.
I just have a Traeger, not an upright, so a lot of my starting points have been from the extensive Traeger specific recipe book and seemingly endless online recipes.
It’s been like 10 years now so I kind of know what rubs and stuff I like on what.
But I still go online all the time to see different time and temp strategies.

Time and temp, that’s what it’s all about!
Enjoy!

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
AD0D3BDC-B006-4387-97B1-27954D5B6A70.jpeg

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Thermoworks Thermapen mk4
Thermoworks Smoke wireless thermometer
Lumberjack pellets - they have a bunch of flavors, but after trying their "Char Hickory" that's pretty much all I use (unless I'm cooking bread or rolls)

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Lumberjack pellets
wireless thermometer
meat injector kit
heat resistant gloves
grill mats
tin foil large
butcher paper pink
chart for temps and times of different meats
disposable aluminum pans
cheap small cooler for resting the meat
wood grill scraper

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If you like somewhat spicy, I use Tony C's creole seasoning as a dry rub with some black pepper, minced garlic, and coarse grain salt. There has not been a single thing I cooked that I didnt like with that rub. You absolutely want to experiment!
20191103_083639.jpg

bocco

Reaction score

EBT531

Reaction score
Thermoworks Smoke wireless thermometer
Lumberjack pellets - they have a bunch of flavors, but after trying their "Char Hickory" that's pretty much all I use (unless I'm cooking bread or rolls)

All of the above. For the pellets, hit the rectec forum on FB and get in on a group buy. Brings the cost down. Or if you arent against Dicks, wait for the 20-25% off sale with free shipping or try the local store and ask them to price match "rural king" (google it) they have bags for like $7.50

sintax

Reaction score

fireboard.com monitor / controller

bocco

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to cook at slightly higher temps such as 240 instead of 225. I have talked to a couple of different guys that do competitions and catering and they both cook at higher temps. Most pork butts and briskets will stall around 160 degrees the higher temps will reduce the stall time. When it does stall, don't fuck with the temps just wait it out.

Also neither guy uses the 3-2-1 method for ribs. Ribs should not fall off of the bone. You should see a nice bite when you bite in to it.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
If you're going to be cooking briskets, (and you should) :D get some peach colored butcher paper, wrap your brisket tightly with it when it hits 160. It will help it through the stall and gives great bark

sintax

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to cook at slightly higher temps such as 240 instead of 225. I have talked to a couple of different guys that do competitions and catering and they both cook at higher temps. Most pork butts and briskets will stall around 160 degrees the higher temps will reduce the stall time. When it does stall, don't fuck with the temps just wait it out.

Also neither guy uses the 3-2-1 method for ribs. Ribs should not fall off of the bone. You should see a nice bite when you bite in to it.

I've never had good luck with the 321 ribs, things just never quite worked out well for me. My ribs method is just smoke them until they start getting the color i want, wrap em till they're ready for sauce, and let em rest.

best advice I can give is take your time, and prepare to make some mistakes. Shit happens, but each pit cooks a bit differently, same applies to different meats. Also, start with pork butts, they are the absolute cheapest cuts, the most forgiving to cook, and even when you goof them, they're still delicious.

Hes right about the higher temps, aint a damn thing wrong with 240, hell i'll often do turkeys 280+ since I like that crispy skin.

dave29

Reaction score
#1.............Aaron Franklins book.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve increased my temps 20* across the board EXCEPT for my patented wings.
I only use “smoke” setting for ringing pork loins now.
Min 180-200 for smoke on anything else as long as the temp is behaving.

I also prefer a different rib method other than 321, although I’ve modified the 321 to include a foil and towel rest that was a game changer when coupled with fluid and time reduction during the foil wrap.
Was sort of by accident. My buddy wanted a rack to take home from Havi to Phoenix so I cut it short and towel wrapped it and he finished it off at home on his grill.
Shit was correct!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
haha oh you pellet guys.... (extra smoke!!)
What's an amazing tube?

I have plenty of smoke from my vertical pit boss.

Stay away from tragger brand pellets. They are pine pellets with "essence" added. Their grills are OK ( not great but OK) but their pellets are the worst.

lf2

Reaction score
What's an amazing tube?

I have plenty of smoke from my vertical pit boss.

Stay away from tragger brand pellets. They are pine pellets with "essence" added. Their grills are OK ( not great but OK) but their pellets are the worst.

Most of the cheaper pellets use fillers or flavor oils with cheap wood pine, alder, oak, etc. I prefer brands like cookinpellets.com That use no fillers in there pellets 100% flavor wood, Lumberjack is also good. The pitboss brand stuff is like 30% of the actual flavor wood and the other 70% is cheap filler wood.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Stay away from tragger brand pellets. Their grills are OK ( not great but OK) but their pellets are the worst.
You're VERY generous giving their grills an "OK" rating :D

bocco

Reaction score
Most of the cheaper pellets use fillers or flavor oils with cheap wood pine, alder, oak, etc. I prefer brands like cookinpellets.com That use no fillers in there pellets 100% flavor wood, Lumberjack is also good. The pitboss brand stuff is like 30% of the actual flavor wood and the other 70% is cheap filler wood.

I'm not a pellet guy at all. I love my Pit Barrel with charcoal. But this is interesting info about pellets.

sintax

Reaction score
You're VERY generous giving their grills an "OK" rating :D

hes being kind in my opinion.... paper thin chinese steel, questionable electronics (my dad almost burnt his house down after his ran away with the pellets)

Reactions: TBI

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Weber igrill 4 port with an ambient temp probe. “225” on a built in spring thermometer is more like a guesstimate. Knowing smoker temp and meat temp is crucial.

Grill foil. It’s thicker and wider for crutching properly. Gotta wrap it tight and norm foil won’t cut it.

some little claw things if you’re gonna be pulled pork. Makes shredding easy.

kevin1988

Reaction score
I've had a Traeger for about 2 years now. Will be upgrading to a Pitts and Spits at some time. Also want a stick burner, but that will come later.

My absolute favorite thing has been a Fireboard thermometer. It uses blue tooth and wifi. I can see my temps while at work 20 miles away and have the girlfriend make adjustments if needed. You can program it to text you at certain temps. I use this mostly for the ambient temp in the smoker. If it drops, I'm most likely outta pellets and a quick phone call to the girlfriend saves the brisket.

Besides that I've spent a lot of money of rubs and seasonings. Killer hogs "The BBQ rub" is fantastic.

Check out www.howtobbqright.com Tons of recipes and everything has a video to show you how to do it.

Deven45

Banned
Reaction score
Well guys last night I broke in the new smoker and I smoked these pork chops I will say I think I did pretty good for never smoking before next will be some pull pork and tri tip

Attachments

• 22C899CC-B21A-4B52-9541-8B3741621B57.jpeg
    22C899CC-B21A-4B52-9541-8B3741621B57.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 51

McKay

Reaction score
FireBoard is great stuff. Comes built into yoders now. Igrill is great too. I’ve mean playing with a couple Meaters too lately. Very cool as each wireless probe gives you the meat temp and on the end gives you ambient.

WildWilly

Reaction score
FireBoard is great stuff. Comes built into yoders now. Igrill is great too. I’ve mean playing with a couple Meaters too lately. Very cool as each wireless probe gives you the meat temp and on the end gives you ambient.

I've been using the Meaters as well for almost a year and pretty happy with them

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I never knew there was sooo much needed to burn carcasses.

I have some wood.
And an ax.
A big spatula.
Wooden cutting board.
And a sharp knife.

Dan'l