WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

C-2

Reaction score
How many Zep songs do you know, but don't know what the name of the song is? lol Here's one for me:

Screenshot 2022-02-04 130351.png

C-2

Reaction score
Not a huge Cypress Hill fan, but Stoned Raiders is an awesome CD, play it all the time.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
90's had a few good ones.

Save Ferris was awesome, we wore this CD out floating in Parker, great CD:

One hit wonders:

Haven’t seen this one in quite a while.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
90's funny story.

Back in the day, process serving was part of my gig. We got paid by the hour to serve subjects avoiding service. So we did a lot of "stakeout" serves.

Also back in the 90's I used a scanner to listen in on cordless phone conversations. I always had it running on a stakeout serve.

One early morning by LAX I was trying to serve somebody in a condo building, it was right off of La Tijera.

I was sitting there at about 6:00 a.m. and a phone conversation popped up. I heard this douchey sounding guy talking all suave/gangster to his lady, telling her how bomb his trip was, but he was glad to be back home to see her, yadda yadda yadda.

Then he said he was surprised he didn't get mobbed when they called his name at LAX and told him to return to the ticket counter.

He said "Yeah baby, when they said "Montel Jordan" over the intercom, I thought fo sure ladies would mob me".

Puhhhlease, I thought, and laughed to myself....who the fawk is Montel Jordan, anyways, lol?

A week later, BOOM

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
90's funny story.

Back in the day, process serving was part of my gig. We got paid by the hour to serve subjects avoiding service. So we did a lot of "stakeout" serves.

Also back in the 90's I used a scanner to listen in on cordless phone conversations. I always had it running on a stakeout serve.

One early morning by LAX I was trying to serve somebody in a condo building, it was right off of La Tijera.

I was sitting there at about 6:00 a.m. and a phone conversation popped up. I heard this douchey sounding guy talking all suave/gangster to his lady, telling her how bomb his trip was, but he was glad to be back home to see her, yadda yadda yadda.

Then he said he was surprised he didn't get mobbed when they called his name at LAX and told him to return to the ticket counter.

He said "Yeah baby, when they said "Montel Jordan" over the intercom, I thought fo sure ladies would mob me".

Puhhhlease, I thought, and laughed to myself....who the fawk is Montel Jordan, anyways, lol?

A week later, BOOM

Cool story but was he legit or did you bust him? 🤷‍♂️
😁😁

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…I’m listening to a noisy little electric fan in my garage… I can’t believe it still works… I think that’s how I kept warm in the snow… when I was playing mountain man in my camper in the back woods up in Mammoth… That would’ve been 1972… Wish I still had the truck that the camper was on… 1955 Studebaker😎👍..,

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
Cool story but was he legit or did you bust him? 🤷‍♂️
😁😁
He wasn't my target, I just overhead his phone call and thought it was funny.

It was comical listening in on cordless calls, good times. There wasn't that many cordless frequencies.

Cell frequencies are different, the FCC(?) made it illegal to eavesdrop on cells, so when you bought a Bearcat scanner you had to mod it by cutting a capacitor in half with an Xacto knife. But still, there was like 833 frequencies so it took a scanner a while to scan thru them.

One day I'll write out my Motown, Fat Bastard fingers story. I got to meet Berry Gordy after that one...it's a cool story.

C-2

Reaction score
My 18-year daughter loves Cream and most other similar psychedelic style bands.

She also took her 9' Russell out this morning. Loaded it onto the Jeep and went surfing by herself. Granted, we live in Riverside. She's fearless, scares the crap outta me.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
90's funny story.

A week later, BOOM

… Did you ever do any work for CCG…Continental Commercial Group???…Glendale Ca… an old friend …now dearly departed …was half owner of CCG… he always had very interesting stories about collecting millions of dollars…

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
For you, Willie!

… Well thank you very much… A bit of irony here as I have been in contact quite a bit lately with moons old girlfriend… Who now …she and her husband are the business end of the movie Livorice Pizza… Her husband is the uncle of Paul Thomas Anderdon…the writer cinematographer and about everything else of the movie.., hopefully I will be receiving a DVD of the movie in the mail… As I don’t think I want to go back to the theater… The entire midnight shift of the Burbank police department raided the AMC 16… Not to sure what that was all about but they scared the shit out of me😱

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
90's funny story.

A week later, BOOM

So funny!
I may have heard a conversation or two of my neighbors on my scanner when I was younger.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
For you, Willie!

… another bit of irony here …that little blurb I just posted about the electric heater while camping out in the snow in Mammoth… Well after the camper was off the truck and on the ground John Martin came up to Mammoth and burrowed himself inside my camper …we didn’t see him for two weeks or so… He wrote Bad case of loving you… Cadillac walk… Hot night in Dallas… And a few others… The girls would come around and say where is John and I would tell them I don’t know …he wanted to write in secrecy… I sure miss him… I wish he wouldnt have passed on… but we’ve all got to go sometime… I wonder if he used this little heater…Too late to ask him now…

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
My 18-year daughter loves Cream and most other similar psychedelic style bands.

She also took her 9' Russell out this morning. Loaded it onto the Jeep and went surfing by herself. Granted, we live in Riverside. She's fearless, scares the crap outta me.
when i was that age i was "discovering" those bands and what drew me to them was the nice change from the fact that most of the stuff on the radio that i liked before that was over produced crap mixed with markeing instead of raw talent and merit. there where many exceptions of course but for the most part that was the rule. In my opinion it is more so now than ever, lol.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Daughter turned me onto Velvet Underground - good stuff.

Listen to this tune TWICE and you'll be hooked...

"discovered" that in '86. my dad laughed and gave me his old record collection.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
he was a good sport
… If I remember correctly John Baluchi had no idea that Joe Cocker …I guess he had Tourette’s or something… John Baluchi didn’t know and he felt terrible after doing this skit…
… I can’t remember what song Joe Cocker was doing the vocals on…but a few of us sauntered into his studio at A&M down in Hollywood… Joe Cocker didn’t even flinch… I wish I could remember what song it was???… it may have been dear landlord… But I’m not too sure???

C-2

Reaction score
… Did you ever do any work for CCG…Continental Commercial Group???…Glendale Ca… an old friend …now dearly departed …was half owner of CCG… he always had very interesting stories about collecting millions of dollars…
I've heard that name before, but no, never worked for them. I bet he had some great stories! I mostly worked for City Attorney offices, title companies and banks. I had a cool niche of adult use cases - I got paid to go into strip clubs and adult shops to see how the lighting was, what body parts dancers were touching, patron contact, sounds cool but it was work. It wasn't fun being torn apart on the witness stand by a defense attorney. No private clients. But I worked in collections too, I hated that type of work. For the State I somewhat still work in collections, but at a lower level.

C-2

Reaction score
… another bit of irony here …that little blurb I just posted about the electric heater while camping out in the snow in Mammoth… Well after the camper was off the truck and on the ground John Martin came up to Mammoth and burrowed himself inside my camper …we didn’t see him for two weeks or so… He wrote Bad case of loving you… Cadillac walk… Hot night in Dallas… And a few others… The girls would come around and say where is John and I would tell them I don’t know …he wanted to write in secrecy… I sure miss him… I wish he wouldnt have passed on… but we’ve all got to go sometime… I wonder if he used this little heater…Too late to ask him now…
Bitchen story 👍 I remember watching him on "Midnight Special", or maybe Don Kirschner's show?

You guys remember that? TV Guide came in the mail, family members called dibs and highlighted the TV shows they wanted to watch. I remember getting pissed when the TV guide said a certain band would be on that episode, and then you stay awake and somebody else was on, lol.

C-2

Reaction score
when i was that age i was "discovering" those bands and what drew me to them was the nice change from the fact that most of the stuff on the radio that i liked before that was over produced crap mixed with markeing instead of raw talent and merit. there where many exceptions of course but for the most part that was the rule. In my opinion it is more so now than ever, lol.
I was into hard rock and the "New Wave" stuff was hard to like because of all the synthesizers.

But honestly, I wasn't getting much action from the rocker chicks, so my sister took me down to a clothing place at the mall and I walked out in the GQ look, and the rest was history. New Wave all the way!

I think music sucks so badly these days that people tolerate country. It's not "country, " but it's still better than most things out there.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Bitchen story 👍 I remember watching him on "Midnight Special", or maybe Don Kirschner's show?

You guys remember that? TV Guide came in the mail, family members called dibs and highlighted the TV shows they wanted to watch. I remember getting pissed when the TV guide said a certain band would be on that episode, and then you stay awake and somebody else was on, lol.
… My mother would underline every show she was going to watch she didn’t buy the TV guide she userd the TV section from the LA Times… Think she did that up in to her 90s…

mobldj

Reaction score
lead singer looks like he would own a wake board boat

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I’ve got my CD player on random so who knows what’s gonna pop up…
Currently it is Little Feat… Voices on the wind…

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife gets home from an all nighter and sleeps to music like this:

But tonight I'm listening to: