WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
...Grace Potter lives in Topanga Canyon and this artists playing from their homes thing is reminding me of how it pretty much was in the 60s in Topanga...Lot of the 60s music that became legendary started out this way in somebody’s living room in Topanga Canyon or Laurel Canyon👍...

I'm a big grace potter fan. Her stuff with the nocturnals is great. I came upon this one today.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Yup. A few of my favs:

Alright, on Jools and not MTV, but the same unplugged deal. Is this a situation where she's so ugly she's hot?

One of our all-time favs ever (mine, wifey and daughter)

Jools is another great show. Patty Smith will always be hot in my mind lol. The microphone with a good voice turns every 6 into an 8.

C-2

Reaction score
...Grace Potter lives in Topanga Canyon and this artists playing from their homes thing is reminding me of how it pretty much was in the 60s in Topanga...Lot of the 60s music that became legendary started out this way in somebody’s living room in Topanga Canyon or Laurel Canyon👍...

Topanga Canyon is awesome, that whole area.

Also, that drive on Las Virgenes from the 101 to PCH - the view is breathtaking, there's no other view like it.

Man, you must of had some good times up there!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Topanga Canyon is awesome, that whole area.

Also, that drive on Las Virgenes from the 101 to PCH - the view is breathtaking, there's no other view like it.

Man, you must of had some good times up there!
...Good times up there is a mild understatement...
...To this day if I want to think deeply for something I’m going to write...The Malibu Hills is where my brain somewhat clears up..
... From my home in North Hollywood I can’t think worth a shit🙀...lol...

TrollerDave

Reaction score
That was awesome. Never heard of them before. Added them to the list and will be going down the Stone Broken rabbit hole...

Awesome to see the gals playing in front of that massive crowd. By far the best rock/blues group to come out in years.

I also checked out Stone Broken because of AZMIDLYF and this thread. Been listening to them on Spotify. Same thing with Larkin Poe.
This is a great thread to help discover music that you might never know anything about.

The Stone Broken radio played this song. I dig the riff

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I just subscribed to Grace Potter‘s YouTube channel as it looks like this is how we’re going to see a lot of today’s music performed for awhile...On her next Monday’s u tube podcast that may be when she devulges what famous rock band used to be in the Topanga house that she is in...I know it’s not Linda Ronstadts house because of the view out over the patio ...I’m kind of thinking it may have been Neil Young’s house because of the view then again it could be Spirit definitely not the Bears house from the Canned Heat... Maybe a Little Feet house... I have no clue where Black Oak Arkansas lived...Just grasping at straws here ...In others words I have no clue...😱

C-2

Reaction score
I heard this one while typing up some crap and forgot how great it was. Man, the memories of floating down from Parker Dam on our newly built Hallett 210, chillin' and listening to SocialD without any cares in the world.

....and then I decided to have a kid lol lol lol

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
27C35540-D91A-4ED6-B937-B90EFCC9AD96.png

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
This is one of best documentaries on the early years in LA sound. Definitely worth the watch

Great flick, enjoyed it a lot. Informative, some great stories and of course, the music was outstanding. It's amazing how much Jake Dylan looks and sounds like his dad, in a good way.

The documentary is put together well, it progresses nicely instead of the same crap over and over again as seen in most VH1 Behind the Music type documentaries.

That story about Stephen Stills bailing from his bathroom windows while Clapton went to jail...you can tell he was like damn, why ya wanna bring up old shit, lol

I love that area, Sunset Plaza and all of the canyon roads into the valley. So many fucktards on this site cap on LA/Hollywood, but every time I'm in that area, it's always exciting. One day I'll share my story about HDH/Motown and my trip back to Detroit.

Thanks for putting it up!

C-2

Reaction score
Speaking of Clapton...

Yesterday on GetTV I stumbled on re-runs of the Johnny Cash Show. I ended up watching several of them. As a young boy, I remember my pops watching them, but I did not remember any of the content.

Watching the reruns I was surprised to see how Johnny told so many stories about Americana, and then tied the short stories to songs. Way cool.

Anyhow, back to Clapton, Cash had some great guests, including Derek and the Dominos.

Later, Carl Perkins, Clapton and Cash played some rockabilly songs together, and they sounded great. Trippy to see Clapton with sandy blonde, long hair:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...The Typewriter Tape ...Janis Joplin singing Jorma Kaukonen on guitar (Jefferson Airplane) ...and for some strange reason Jorma Kaukonen’s wife is in the background typing???...therefore the name...TypewriterTape...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Speaking of Clapton...

Yesterday on GetTV I stumbled on re-runs of the Johnny Cash Show. I ended up watching several of them. As a young boy, I remember my pops watching them, but I did not remember any of the content.

Watching the reruns I was surprised to see how Johnny told so many stories about Americana, and then tied the short stories to songs. Way cool.

Anyhow, back to Clapton, Cash had some great guests, including Derek and the Dominos.

Later, Carl Perkins, Clapton and Cash played some rockabilly songs together, and they sounded great. Trippy to see Clapton with sandy blonde, long hair:

... Looks like Bobby Whitlock on keyboards...Carl Radel on bass and my old acquaintance Jim Gordon on drums... were backing Carl Perkins and Clapton???...

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
... Looks like Bobby Whitlock on keyboards...Carl Radel on bass and my old acquaintance Jim Gordon on drums... were backing Carl Perkins and Clapton???...

Yup, spot on! Cash introduced them at the start of their other set.

Cash was always backed by The Tennessee Three, Statler Bros and The Carter Sisters (with Anita Carter, who was married to Bob Wooten, Cash's long-time guitar player/Tennessee Three).

Cash had one ginormous family!

Anita Carter when she was young, seen here in one of only a few recorded clips (ever) of Hank Sr.:

Nordie

Reaction score

Sitting on the patio listening to this one now, it was kind of our wedding song, but more of a song that reminded me of my wife and our friendship. She had a plaque made of the lyrics to this song that stays over my desk. Kind of nice having a simple life with simple shit like that.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Saw Shinedown about 2 years ago...my ears are still ringing from that concert. They rip live.