WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

C-2

Reaction score
Damn, learn something every day. I was watching some oldschool rap and WTH, is that Flea?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Damn, learn something every day. I was watching some oldschool rap and WTH, is that Flea?

Cool jam. I actually listened to the whole thing, loud of course.
Sounds a lot like flea but doesn’t look like him to me.

Reactions: C-2

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
This is the school of rock with Orianthi guest appearing on lead guitar
The girl playing 2nd lead next to Orianthi is only 15 years old when they did this vid.
Darla Boux is the pig tailed girl covering Merry Claytons iconic back up vocal sections.
I don’t know how old she is, but of all the big names (Fergie, Gaga etc) that have attempted it, this girl fucking nails it.

Freaking Orianthi...girl is unreal.

Damn Orianthi can shred! They all crushed it. Completely agree with you on Darla, best I have heard by far. Great video. How all those people in the background could just sit there without at least bobbing their heads is crazy. I would have been rocking out but I'm that dad lol.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

From Wikipedia

"Bust a Move" is a song by British-American rapper Young MC. It won the 1990 Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance. It appeared on his album Stone Cold Rhymin' and was his biggest hit, reaching number 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topping the charts in Australia. The song stayed on the Billboard Hot 100 for 39 weeks and 20 weeks in the top 40 alone.

The song is built on a sample of "Found a Child" by the group Ballin' Jack. The drums, produced by a LinnDrum, are sampled from the song "Radio-Activity" by RoyalCash. The breakdown segment contains a combination of beats sampled from the songs "Scorpio" by Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band, and "Daytime Hustler" by Bette Midler. "Bust a Move" also featured guest vocals by Crystal Blake and bass guitar by Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, both of whom also appeared in the video.

Something I found today.

C-2

Reaction score
So I was a party DJ in the mid 80's and we spun freestyle, disco and funk at backyard parties. I still have half my system - I sold my Technic's 1200's back in the day when pitch-controlled CD players came out. Ughh, what a mistake that was. I'm currently looking for a hybrid of an oldschool turntable mixed with new turntable features like a USB port. One thing is certain - the turntable must be direct drive with pitch control (you can adjust the speed the record plays).

...pitch control, which leads to this song.

For years we played "Spin-It" without much thought, other than knowing it always made people dance. To this day it remains an iconic song in the DJ and oldschool fresstyle/disco world. Everybody always wondered what the chick who sang it looked like.

As it turns out, the one-hit wonder was sung by a dude. Two guys recorded it in 1980 in a bedroom studio in Dickinson, TX. They sped his vocal track up to make it sound female. Sounds like a falsetto, but not sung in falsetto like Barry Gibb sang, or more recently, like that catchy tune sung by Portugal The Man. Sadly, the guy died a few years later of MS.

And like most 12" vinvyl songs, there is a bridge at about 5 minutes that allowed a DJ to beat-match the next record in cue to pull off a non-stop, uninterrupted medley of songs mixed together.

Texas, Coors, and Van Halen - the "chick" behind Spin It

groover.JPG

Anyhow, Spin It, properly played with a slight pitch up in speed by the person who uploaded the YT video.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’ve seen AC/DC a dozen times or so. Never with Bon though.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Shitty quality video this version. I think I’ve seen a better one but I’m listening to this one now.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Damn Orianthi can shred! They all crushed it. Completely agree with you on Darla, best I have heard by far. Great video. How all those people in the background could just sit there without at least bobbing their heads is crazy. I would have been rocking out but I'm that dad lol.

Yeah, Orianthi is an easy rabbit hole to fall into.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Pretty sure a repeat but I love me some Corey Taylor. 😊

C-2

Reaction score
Great vid I just found - I never knew Frampton could play! Holds his own against "slowhand."

C-2

Reaction score
Man, look at the kids back in the day. Just awesome. Everybody having fun, enjoying the music. I showed my daughter and said THAT'S WHAT MUSIC AND CONCERTS USED TO BE LIKE! She's kind of hippiesh, and said she missed out. A lot of us did...

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Man, look at the kids back in the day. Just awesome. Everybody having fun, enjoying the music. I showed my daughter and said THAT'S WHAT MUSIC AND CONCERTS USED TO BE LIKE! She's kind of hippiesh, and said she missed out. A lot of us did...

Nice. Love it.
I’m gonna have to check one or the other of these now.

C-2

Reaction score
Best Chili Peppers song ever...a plan based on a band, a band based on a plan

Their style hit harder with Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons

C-2

Reaction score
Speaking of PinkPop in 1988...Sinead in great form, as usual, fearless.

In 89' I was working in LA, driving my crappy Mazda pickup down Wilshire Blvd, listening to KRQO, when they announced a Sinead show at the the Wiltern Theatre. Hellz yes, I was only two blocks away and walked up to the box office and got 4 front row seats.

A couple of months later my brother called the day before the Sinead concert and invited me to the river. I had never been but had seen plenty of tittie photos - so I blew off the Sinead concert and made my first river trip.

On that trip we also saw our first Hallett, and wanted one, which took another 6-years to make happen!

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Speaking of PinkPop in 1988...Sinead in great form, as usual, fearless.

In 89' I was working in LA, driving my crappy Mazda pickup down Wilshire Blvd, listening to KRQO, when they announced a Sinead show at the the Wiltern Theatre. Hellz yes, I was only two blocks away and walked up to the box office and got 4 front row seats.

A couple of months later my brother called the day before the Sinead concert and invited me to the river. I had never been but had seen plenty of tittie photos - so I blew off the Sinead concert and made my first river trip.

On that trip we also saw our first Hallett, and wanted one, which took another 6-years to make happen!

Interesting story.
1989 was when I started my state job.
32 years now. 😳

mobldj

Reaction score
most of you know im a mobile dj,weddings,partys etc.todays music just plain ole sucks balls.i subscribe to dj services and there hasnt been anything thats caught my ear.this song isnt channel music but fucking finally a great song worth playin,at least at dinner music at weddings.let me know what you think of it

C-2

Reaction score
Interesting story.
1989 was when I started my state job.
32 years now. 😳

I started my State career after working 30 years at my first career (started w/State at age 50). I have enough years in the private sector so I am vested in SS, too.

I keep promoting within the State and have been on probation 3 out of my 4 years with the State! :oops:

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa doesn't dissuade me from pushing IT's buttons, though, lol. Items they suggested I leave alone - installing software without admin privilege's, using an Internet radio on their network, and using a mouse jiggler. They caved in today and installed some mouse software, for me 👍

C-2

Reaction score
Been a few months since I’ve shared this one, I think. 😉

He raises a good point. Do you ever look at somebody in disbelief when they say they don't own a single fawking CD or record and they don't listen to music? W-T-F?

Even better, a co-worker told me he didn't listen to/enjoy music and didn't own a single CD, and when I went to his condo I couldn't fix his door knob because he didn't own a single screwdriver, either. :eek:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Another one I haven’t posted in a bit.
I find it very impressive that a hard rocker can be so polished I guess I’d call it.
Great voice, plays multiple instruments.

C-2

Reaction score
I'm guessing WillieB listened to this one a few times...great tune

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I don't get it. PBS put this vid up in 2010 and there's only 500K hits?

I’ve seen this before. Been a while obviously.
Kind of surprised the low view number. I guess search criteria isn’t in the favor? 🤷‍♂️