WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I’ve been listening to the whiskey throttle show on Pandora. If your a fan of supercross or motorcross this is an excellent podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I am listening to a CD that was done in 2010 by an old friend Douglas Fontaine Brown...from back in the 60s and beyond...The entire album is on U-U-Tube... but was never released... and there is some really good stuff on it...pretty sure this was done for the sheer joy of doing it... Bob Seger played keyboards for him in the early ‘60’s in Detroit when it was Doug Brown and the Omens... I think they lived a block or two apart???..,
...I had an acetate that contained a different version of Fence Line...that was done in the ‘60’s ...another spectacular album that was never released..,may have had something to do with angel dust...anybody know what that is???...lol...

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
This guy has a great YT channel...

You gotta watch Dream Police - they let this fan/young chick join them

C-2

Reaction score
Knew this guy would have some close-up George playing some Hank Sr. on his channel...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Saw Robin Trower twice I believe???..:eek:nce at the Shrine Auditorium when he was with Procol Harum ...Procol Harum played first... Love played second and Chicago played third ...one week before the release of Chicago’s first album...
..,Saw Procol Harum again at the Whisky A GoGo...a bit later on...
...Pretty sure Robin Trower is still playing???...lotta people think that Robin Trower did the vocals when he had the Robin Trower Band....not the case...the vocals were done by James Dewar...The bass player singing in this video...

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
1981 Santa Monica. I’m sure someone here was there. 😁

Poof! Here one day, gone the next. I never understood what happened to him.

Not there, but saw him in 83' at Irvine Meadows.

What a weekend that was...

I was a JR in HS, bought my first stash of "Red Hair," and on Friday evening we saw Sammy Hagar and Night Ranger at the Orange Pavilion in SB. For the Sammy show I made it down to "the pit" and it was like a sauna down there, and I walked out hard of hearing and with a couple of cig burns on the arms.

The next night we saw Squire and Def Leppard at Irvine Meadows. On our way down it started to rain and I thought surely they would reschedule the show. Remembering my sauna experience form the evening before, all I wore was a concert t-shirt.. We get there and RAIN OR SHINE! And it poured like a mutha fucker the entire show.

As you can tell - it made for a memorable weekend, I still remember all the nuances and little details. But, I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, lo.l.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
A song about two friends (Sam Colt the gun and Henry the rifle). The kid’s around 25, but sounds older than dirt, and sings old school C&W about old school shit:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score

It was this video:

Billy Squier spent the early '80s on a hot streak, releasing two multi-platinum Top 5 albums (1981's Don't Say No and 1982's Emotions in Motion) in a two-year span. For a brief while, it looked like he'd end up being one of the biggest rock acts of the '80s — and then, in the summer of 1984, it all came crashing down when he released one of the worst videos ever made.
Anyway, that's the story that's been built up around Squier's short-lived ascent to the top of the sales heap, and on the surface, it seems to make sense. Don't Say No and Emotions in Motion sold a combined five million copies, and initially, it looked like his 1984 follow-up, Signs of Life, might be an even bigger success; the record's lead-off single, "Rock Me Tonite," gave him a No. 1 rock hit and peaked at No. 15 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Unfortunately for Squier, like most singles of the day, "Rock Me Tonite" came with a video — and this particular video proved so hilariously awful that it's generally credited with sinking his entire career. Helmed by choreographer and future film director Kenny Ortega — working, according to Squier, from a concept he developed that was inspired by the visual aesthetic Paul Schrader used in Richard Gere's American Gigolo — it depicts Squier flailing effeminately around a pastel-lit bedroom and writhing on satin sheets.
According to conventional wisdom, the clip was so outrageously out of step with what rock fans were willing to tolerate that it stalled the single, derailed his 1984 tour and permanently cooled his momentum as a recording artist.

C-2

Reaction score
It was this video:

Billy Squier spent the early '80s on a hot streak, releasing two multi-platinum Top 5 albums (1981's Don't Say No and 1982's Emotions in Motion) in a two-year span. For a brief while, it looked like he'd end up being one of the biggest rock acts of the '80s — and then, in the summer of 1984, it all came crashing down when he released one of the worst videos ever made.
Anyway, that's the story that's been built up around Squier's short-lived ascent to the top of the sales heap, and on the surface, it seems to make sense. Don't Say No and Emotions in Motion sold a combined five million copies, and initially, it looked like his 1984 follow-up, Signs of Life, might be an even bigger success; the record's lead-off single, "Rock Me Tonite," gave him a No. 1 rock hit and peaked at No. 15 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Unfortunately for Squier, like most singles of the day, "Rock Me Tonite" came with a video — and this particular video proved so hilariously awful that it's generally credited with sinking his entire career. Helmed by choreographer and future film director Kenny Ortega — working, according to Squier, from a concept he developed that was inspired by the visual aesthetic Paul Schrader used in Richard Gere's American Gigolo — it depicts Squier flailing effeminately around a pastel-lit bedroom and writhing on satin sheets.
According to conventional wisdom, the clip was so outrageously out of step with what rock fans were willing to tolerate that it stalled the single, derailed his 1984 tour and permanently cooled his momentum as a recording artist.

Lol, Rob Halford knew not to pull that crap, and Freddie always pushed the envelope, but both kept it under control. That was just gaaaaaaaay

Emotions in Motion was the second record I ever bought to play on a crappy Gerard turntable I found.

707dog

Reaction score
getting my bad company on to start the shift

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

Not there, but saw him in 83' at Irvine Meadows.

What a weekend that was...

I was a JR in HS, bought my first stash of "Red Hair," and on Friday evening we saw Sammy Hagar and Night Ranger at the Orange Pavilion in SB. For the Sammy show I made it down to "the pit" and it was like a sauna down there, and I walked out hard of hearing and with a couple of cig burns on the arms.

The next night we saw Squire and Def Leppard at Irvine Meadows. On our way down it started to rain and I thought surely they would reschedule the show. Remembering my sauna experience form the evening before, all I wore was a concert t-shirt.. We get there and RAIN OR SHINE! And it poured like a mutha fucker the entire show.

As you can tell - it made for a memorable weekend, I still remember all the nuances and little details. But, I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, lo.l.
Great story.
I miss the 80’s. Graduated 82. Yea, I’d probably go back if I could. 🤘

Tank

Reaction score
Always like to start off chill - Puchini radio (opera), Bali Ha'i (soundtrack from South pacific musical) radio, Glenn Miller Radio (40's big band), Girl from Ipanema Radio (chill 50's) or Tumblin Tumble weeds Radio (old country).

Started off this morning with Glenn Miller Radio on Pandora. Always reminds me of walking into my grandmother and grandfather's house as a kid, grandad sitting in a chair smoking non filter palmalls reading a book, grandma laying on the "davenport" as they called it, reading the paper with KFI on in the background playing 20's - 40's music. Good stuff.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
Always like to start off chill - Puchini radio (opera), Bali Ha'i (soundtrack from South pacific musical) radio, Glenn Miller Radio (40's big band), Girl from Ipanema Radio (chill 50's) or Tumblin Tumble weeds Radio (old country).

Started off this morning with Glenn Miller Radio on Pandora. Always reminds me of walking into my grandmother and grandfather's house as a kid, grandad sitting in a chair smoking non filter palmalls reading a book, grandma laying on the "davenport" as they called it, reading the paper with KFI on in the background playing 20's - 40's music. Good stuff.

I grew up playing Trombone, so ya know I still like this stuff. My daughter has been collecting Herb Alpert vinyl, those are great, too. What about Ennio Morricone? The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and My Name is Nobody are great soundtracks to chill with.

C-2

Reaction score
Ua mau, ke ea o ka aina, i ka pono, o Hawai'i

Listening to IZ and his iconic album Facing Future, see ya in an hour

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... A Pink Floyd double album...UmmaGumma...After playing side one that was exclusively Sid Barrett...It’s no wonder that he ended up in a rubber room...😱...Note to the youth of today...watch it with LSD and various other psychedelics...
image.jpg
it’s

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I am listening to a double vinyl album that I have...Don Ellis live at the Fillmore West...I’m on the first song and it is so atonal it’s giving me a headache😳...

...Don Ellis was a jazz musician... oddly enough he would be booked right along and in with the psychedelic bands of the 60s... probably saw his band once or twice but I really couldn’t tell you where???...

...No clue who his drummer was on this album but now the shits getting real..,incredible drum work👍...Hard to say but in the liner notes it credits Don Ellis with trumpet and drums ...but a few other guys get credit for drums...so who knows...I wish I could remember where I saw them???...