WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
In my 55-years, I never listened to Velvet Underground until my daughter turned me onto them....and damn, glad she did! No wonder Lou Reed had so many fans.

View attachment 1044694
… I hear you on the velvet underground… I bought a 6.3 Mercedes maybe 25 or 30 years ago and I kept fiddling with the Becker Mexico radio which had a marine band on it ..,I was sitting in my driveway and it sounded to me like I heard the clanging or whatever you call those buoy thingies out the ocean so the ships don’t hit them???…
…Then as I switched it from Marine band to FM what came on the radio but this song… Sister Ray… It’s like 15 minutes about shooting up heroin… I started thinking to myself …I wonder what other stories this car has to tell???..,,(it is now sitting in a museum in Denmark).., May have been the best barhopping car I’ve ever owned???..,

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
.., had a girlfriend who lived just below Sunset Boulevard… I forget the name of the street but just below gill turner liquor…Anyway her apartment was like a four plex and across the hall was this band…the Berlin Bratz… Let me just say that the tension level between that band and myself was a little extreme…bazaar bunch of young punk rockers…

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
.., had a girlfriend who lived just below Sunset Boulevard… I forget the name of the street but just below gill turner liquor…Anyway her apartment was like a four plex and across the hall was this band…the Berlin Bratz… Let me just say that the tension level between that band and myself was a little extreme…bazaar bunch of young punk rockers…

The Berlin Brats release or test pressed a 45. It is one of the holy grails as far as colectabillity in the punk rock world.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
The Berlin Brats release or test pressed a 45. It is one of the holy grails as far as colectabillity in the punk rock world.
…Really… never heard them play… never heard them practice but there was always a war of words down in the parking lot and somebody was going to kick somebody’s ass …I don’t think it ever happened …I think it was just alcohol talking… not sure if my girlfriend actually knew them…If her brother ever came around they probably recognized him because he had just finished a five year stint with the Rolling Stones…

C-2

Reaction score
After watching the vid Willie put up, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, a really cool looking documentary about a famous sound stage in the Valley came up, I need to finish watching it, Dave Grohl narrates it.

Willie, did you know this place, Sound City?

C-2

Reaction score
Hell yez! Happy 30th anniversary to us! My choice was Kiss, wifey's was Alanis Morisette and Garbage. I'm down with Garbage, too.

Thursday night at the new Irvine Meadows.

KISS_ROTR_WebBanner_V1c.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
After watching the vid Willie put up, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, a really cool looking documentary about a famous sound stage in the Valley came up, I need to finish watching it, Dave Grohl narrates it.

Willie, did you know this place, Sound City?

…Yes I knew of it… Actually went with my friends in the Southwind and we gave it the once over.., … But the place was so funky I think we moved on to Village Recorders???..,

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
Best daughter ever, she knows how to pick em'

IMG-5796 (1).jpg

C-2

Reaction score
So KISS was pretty bad ass. The Five Points Amphitheater is awesome - we had seats at the last row and they were still great. It was loud but sounded blown out, not sure what happened.

Gene and Paul were fine, this was the first show after Gene caught the vid 10-days ago.

Paul's voice is not what it used to be, and it reflected on I Was Made for Loving You, which he sang from a podium in the middle of the audience.

Overall, the show itself was great, it's supposed to be their last tour ever - Gene is 72! Thus marks an an end to an era, I believe that was my fourth show. Best show ever was Psycho Circus on Halloween 1998 at Dodger Stadium, Smashing Pumpkins opened for them. That show had all the original members.

Throughout the night you could see lightning and it kept creeping closer. Towards the end of the show Gene did his bass solo, which was lame, but it led into God of Thunder, and no sooner than he finished, it was apparent the storm had arrived and the lightning strikes and thunder were close. Paul made an announcement about the lightning and they didn't break between their encore, they went straight into Beth. Eric Singer, man, he nailed it but we decided to bail. Good thing because it started raining buckets.

Luckily we caught a ride on a golf cart back to the section where the car was parked. Wwe ran between the rear bumpers and front bumpers of parked cars, and wifey yelled HITCH! I saw it, and did a Ninja spin to avoid hitting it, but I slipped on the wet surface and did a full-on Pete Rose face first slide onto the asphalt. It hurts a little today, lol.

kiss.png

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have never really been a Metallica fan, and certainly never been even mildly interested in Miley. But damn, this version just hits me hard in some real deep places. I recently heard Dennis Prager say that he felt that Music is one of the proofs that God exists. It is a gift from Him to us. Watch the backstory videos here and learn what went into putting this together, how it affected so many people so powerfully, and bring a hankie.

https://consequence.net/2021/09/elton-john-james-hetfield-tears-metallica/

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Turn it up.
This one loud and hard in the headphones is over the top. 🤘🤘🤘

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Whiskey barrel blues. Blues lounge. 12 hour YouTube feed.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have never really been a Metallica fan, and certainly never been even mildly interested in Miley. But damn, this version just hits me hard in some real deep places. I recently heard Dennis Prager say that he felt that Music is one of the proofs that God exists. It is a gift from Him to us. Watch the backstory videos here and learn what went into putting this together, how it affected so many people so powerfully, and bring a hankie.

https://consequence.net/2021/09/elton-john-james-hetfield-tears-metallica/
40 years ago I was listening to Def Leppard.
I to this day wonder how people were able to find Metallica etc. what with was played over the air waves then.

C-2

Reaction score
Sometimes there are records that just sound great...this is one of them.

I wondered what happened to UB40 and was surprised to learn they did not write any songs on the record! Doh!

Screenshot 2021-09-15 084919.png

C-2

Reaction score
I was never a big Police fan, but damn this records sounds great...

Screenshot 2021-09-15 113635.png

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Love Shinedown.
Pretty sure I’ve shared this one more than once.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I watched the Clint Eastwood movie Cry Macho and the song Sabor A Mi by Edie Gorme and Trio Los Panchos was played and I really liked it. So I looked it up on YouTube and found the English translation - it’s a pretty erotic song. Check it out.

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
I haven't been posting much on here, but I've been fully immersed in listening to vinyl, and learning (in detail) about audio. For example, we know records have grooves and a stylus glides over them, but how does that turn into sound? And who/what makes the grooves onto the master recording? Questions like that create roadblocks before I can move on, so I research the crap out of the question until I'm satisfied I have a grasp on the answer. I'll make a post about it soon.

Also researching how to build a RaspberryPi music streamer to stream music in high quality, near CD like sound. Streamers, even entry level models, start at $500, but homey ain't got time for that (okay, home ain't go the money for that), lol, and I will build one for about $75-$150.

Until then...Jimi!

IMG-5951.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I flipped on my CD player while I was in my garage and started to listen to the CDs that were already loaded… Then I got a phone call from Chicago from Baby Jack Weimer the original upolstery guy from full custom garage…So that killed about an hour and a half …so in truth I have no idea what I listened to???…Oh and i’m trying to finish the last forty pages of a biography by one of the Grateful Dead‘s original managers… Horry Fucc… I mean drug experimentation was rampant in the rock ‘n’ roll business in the 60s but these guys took it way over the top… so tomorrow night I think I’m going to pull out the grateful dead‘s Mars hotel… Which in truth I’m not 100% sure I have a copy… if it turns out that I don’t …I will get one,..One of their better albums…

C-2

Reaction score
I watched the Clint Eastwood movie Cry Macho and the song Sabor A Mi by Edie Gorme and Trio Los Panchos was played and I really liked it. So I looked it up on YouTube and found the English translation - it’s a pretty erotic song. Check it out.

Cool tune, I imagine it was "out there" when they recorded it way back when.

How was the movie?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Cool tune, I imagine it was "out there" when they recorded it way back when.

How was the movie?
It’s a pretty good movie, not great. I watched it again last night and liked it more. I got HBO Max for a month to watch it - it’s still cheaper than going to the movies and there’s no mask police. 😁

C-2

Reaction score
It’s a pretty good movie, not great. I watched it again last night and liked it more. I got HBO Max for a month to watch it - it’s still cheaper than going to the movies and there’s no mask police. 😁

I'm a huge Eastwood fan, but the move kind of looks like a rinse and repeat of all the other movies he's directed. I mean, how many times is he gonna punch somebody in the face, lol. Will check it out though.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm a huge Eastwood fan, but the move kind of looks like a rinse and repeat of all the other movies he's directed. I mean, how many times is he gonna punch somebody in the face, lol. Will check it out though.
In this movie he's an old guy on a road trip with a teenager, they bond and he finds love along the way.