WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

C-2

Reaction score
Me and Mrs. Http404 saw them at Pacific Amphitheater on this tour. Opened for Guns & Roses and blew them away.

About 88 or 89? We were there too!

About 15-years ago we also saw Sebastian Bach play "Jesus" in Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Jesus Christ Superstar" at the La Mirada Theater. I thought he did great and added some pep to that show, but he was fired a few shows later.

C-2

Reaction score
And now I have the revamped Onkyo stack pushing 2 amps for a total of 600-watts! Not bad for a 33-year old system (sans the Event monitors/speakers, which are 22-years old)

Sounding pretty crisp and loud, still need to fully integrate the digital, Raspberry Pi streamer into the mix.

...and always on the hunt for oldschool 70's and 80's gear.

IMG-6504.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Me and Mrs. Http404 saw them at Pacific Amphitheater on this tour. Opened for Guns & Roses and blew them away.

I wouldn't doubt this for a minute. Believe it or not....one of the craziest shows I've ever been to. Slave to the Grind Tour....Hollywood Palladium. That pit was going off. One of the best live performances I've ever been to. 👍

C-2

Reaction score
Check this out, 30 minute blocks of old radio stations/DJ's

KMET, KLOS, KROQ, Pirate...pretty cool

WillieB - Paraquat Kelley on KMET just announced a Kansas and Alvin Lee show, hurry if you want to get tickets!

Screenshot 2022-01-17 122228.png

C-2

Reaction score
Crap, Zeppelin just announced they are breaking up due to the recent death of John Bonham. Say it isn't so :(

And Double Fantasy is on sale at MusicLand for $5.99 👍

C-2

Reaction score
Awesome Cars concert, 1984. Played a lot of their oddball songs like Take it on the Run, Moving in Stereo, Cruiser and Benn Orr on Drive...this one is a right-click save.

Reminds me of those Skynard videos in Oakland - just a bunch of kids rockin out, having fun.

C-2

Reaction score
Iggster looking good but it's his two leads that steal the song starting at 4:00

mobldj

Reaction score
rip,my favorite by him out of many great songs

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
I just watched them (and Sheryl Crow) from Kaaboo in Del Mar in 2019. Damn those Kaaboo concerts were great, I feel like such a knuckled for missing them.

Slash gets into a great solo during Rocket Queen at 36:00

C-2

Reaction score
So my latest score is a pair of 200 watt Mission 765 floor speakers from 1989. They are made in England and are in pristine condition; it's like time stood still with this pair.

They are a 4-ohm, 200 watt speaker. The lower the Ohms, the more signal passes to the speaker and it allows your amp to run more efficiently. Most consumer s[eakers these days are 8-ohm.

Retailed in 89 for $1200, I got them for $85 woot woot.

Pretty nice sound, I wish they had more bass response, but they are an 8" speaker. Still, my Event 20/20 passive 8" 4 ohm monitors sound better, I swear they are the most kick ass speaker I've seen/had thus far. The 8" Rogersound Labs will be shelfed; they are a nice speaker too, but they can't keep up with the 4-ohm pairs.

00b27cfd961841239b581467786632c7.jpg

C-2

Reaction score
Whistle Test 1986, one of my fav U2 song's - In God's Country

C-2

Reaction score
Today I heard a song that brought back some memories, but I did a double take after seeing it was Blue Oyster Cult.

Wait huh, I always thought it was an Aldo Nova song....for good reason, BOC provided the lyrics, Nova provided the familiar guitar riffs.

C-2

Reaction score
Remember when Cars by Gary Numan came out? It was pretty far out there, as a rocker it was hard to embrace the synthesizer dependent sound.

Huge Trent Reznor/NIN fan, probably one of the best musicians to emerge within the past 30-years.

C-2

Reaction score
Well that didn't last long.

For shits and giggles, and I'm not really sure how it happened, but somehow this morning I found myself on eBay, staring at the same set of Event 20/20 monitors that I saw for sale shortly before Xmas w/local pick up only.

...and the auction was ending in 4 hours, and there was no bidders, and I wanted them.

Boom, here I am 8 hours later listening to them!

Turns out I was the fourth buyer. They all tried to get the seller to ship them, but he wouldn't. Local pick up only, woot woot.

They fit much better in my tiny office. The Mission 765's are beautiful but bulky, and the Event 20/20's sound better.

I can't wait until morning and everybody leaves the house so I can work on my Tinnitus 😃 👍

C-2

Reaction score
I remember coming back from Hawaii in 94' and trying to chase down IZ's CD. I worked all over LA and popped in at countless record stores looking for it, and I finally found a copy at a small record shop on Olympic just west of the 405.

I read he recorded the track in under 15-minutes in 1988 - first take, that was it, done. Amazing. At 6'2 and over 500lbs, finding him a seat he could safely sit on was the toughest part of the recording session.

Great CD.....no vinyl available...White Sandy Beach and Hawaii 78'....which, if you listen to it, kinda spells out the Hawaiian's plight.

Recently we were at Hawaiian court and watched a Hawaiian trying to defend an ownership claim, citing ancestral rights to the Kingdom. Everybody knew he was right, but at court, it's what you can prove that wins cases. So he lost. And had to be ejected from the courtroom by the Hawaiian Judge, and his Hawaiian bailiffs. It was shocking and sad, I've testified over 300 times and I've never seen anything like it.

C-2

Reaction score
That is rad! I met Mike Ness a few times right around that time period.
That's awesome! I'm pretty sure we went thru 3-4 copies of every Social D CD there was, the river was tough on them.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I remember coming back from Hawaii in 94' and trying to chase down IZ's CD. I worked all over LA and popped in at countless record stores looking for it, and I finally found a copy at a small record shop on Olympic just west of the 405.

I read he recorded the track in under 15-minutes in 1988 - first take, that was it, done. Amazing. At 6'2 and over 500lbs, finding him a seat he could safely sit on was the toughest part of the recording session.

Great CD.....no vinyl available...White Sandy Beach and Hawaii 78'....which, if you listen to it, kinda spells out the Hawaiian's plight.

Recently we were at Hawaiian court and watched a Hawaiian trying to defend an ownership claim, citing ancestral rights to the Kingdom. Everybody knew he was right, but at court, it's what you can prove that wins cases. So he lost. And had to be ejected from the courtroom by the Hawaiian Judge, and his Hawaiian bailiffs. It was shocking and sad, I've testified over 300 times and I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks for that one. I never knew of this artist. Know the song but never seen the performer.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
There was this place in Costa Mesa called the Cuckoo's Nest where all the punk bands of the day used to play. My cousin's band The Crowd played there all the time. I was pretty young but I went to a gig or two and ran the lights for their set from the 2nd story "band room" loft area. The Cuckoo's Nest shared a parking lot with a country western bar and grill named Zubie's. You would have a ton of people from the Nest hanging out in the parking lot nightly. There were always fights between the punks and cowboys. The Vandals wrote this song about the scene at the time.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Robbie Robertson Director: Martin Scorsese

Filmed on November 25 1976 (Thanksgiving) at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. Shot on 35mm film, the Farewell concert for "The Band"

"The Last Waltz" Greatest Music Documentary of all time.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
This guy just overtook Sturgill as my younger old school country guy. Joe Rogan called him to be on his podcast a few months back, and Colter’s rep told Rogan “he’s working on the range and he’ll get back to you.”

What 26 year old writes a song like this:

Edit: Can’t load the video: Colter Wall “Rocky Mountain Rangers.”

Reactions: C-2

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… lately I have stumbled across quite a bit of Derek and the Dominos live… on U-tube…The musicianship ihas been excellent… I keep waiting for Derek and the Dominoes… live stuff from the Brass Ring to pop up… Where I saw them play about a week after they formed… Duane Allman was with them …The first night was with horns …Jim Price on trumpet…Bobby Keys on sax… And possibly also Jim Horn???… I am sure that the tapes are around somewhere with the horns???… But in truth they were way better without horns…

Last edited: