WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you listening to, right now?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
.., Had never heard of these sisters until recently..,They are callled Haim…Which is their last name… now they are super famous because one of the sisters… I think it’s the one with the drumsticks… recently became a pretty famous actress…Alana Haim plays Alana Kane in the recently released film… Licorice Pizza…
… Way too long of a story to get into right now… but later on I will have a bunch to say about the movie and the making of it…

mobldj

Reaction score
good fucking morning.seen these guys last year in oc.shes hot and they sound better than the original

C-2

Reaction score
There was this place in Costa Mesa called the Cuckoo's Nest where all the punk bands of the day used to play. My cousin's band The Crowd played there all the time. I was pretty young but I went to a gig or two and ran the lights for their set from the 2nd story "band room" loft area. The Cuckoo's Nest shared a parking lot with a country western bar and grill named Zubie's. You would have a ton of people from the Nest hanging out in the parking lot nightly. There were always fights between the punks and cowboys. The Vandals wrote this song about the scene at the time.

My BIL is punk and lived a few blocks away.

Love this song. Maybe it's not a good thing, but we played it a lot and my (now) 18-year daughter used to sing along lol.

This one too, a nicely family tune before sending daughter off to the pricey Christian school

C-2

Reaction score
===== Best punk/river CD ever ========

I need to buy another, and Discogs is the place to buy it.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 213317.png

C-2

Reaction score

Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Robbie Robertson Director: Martin Scorsese

Filmed on November 25 1976 (Thanksgiving) at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. Shot on 35mm film, the Farewell concert for "The Band"

"The Last Waltz" Greatest Music Documentary of all time.
Right on, I always thought it was a Joan Baez song. Never knew that.

C-2

Reaction score
I like that one too.

Remember back in the day, EVERYBODY liked Journey. Maybe that's because there was no rap and country wasn't mainstream, and pop was well, pop.

Plenty of hook-ups because of them. It was so simple..."so you into the new Journey song?"

C-2

Reaction score
Hey HTTP, you sound like you're from the OC, did you see these guys at the Pacific? Blind Melon, Social D, and Neil Young? Had to be about 93' or so.

I almost fell out of my seat when I saw my prim and proper English accented MIL take the biggest hit off a joint as it was passed down the entire row of seats, lol. She's the biggest stoner. Her and her other little old lady friend from England, lol.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
My BIL is punk and lived a few blocks away.

Love this song. Maybe it's not a good thing, but we played it a lot and my (now) 18-year daughter used to sing along lol.

This one too, a nicely family tune before sending daughter off to the pricey Christian school

LOL. My 23 year old daughter and 22 year old nephew are both fans of this one.

Reactions: C-2

HTTP404

Reaction score
Hey HTTP, you sound like you're from the OC, did you see these guys at the Pacific? Blind Melon, Social D, and Neil Young? Had to be about 93' or so.

I almost fell out of my seat when I saw my prim and proper English accented MIL take the biggest hit off a joint as it was passed down the entire row of seats, lol. She's the biggest stoner. Her and her other little old lady friend from England, lol.

That is great!

I'm born in Newport and raised in Norco.

C-2

Reaction score
This was kind of cool, 1964 concert movie filmed at the Santa Monica Civic, and brought to you by E-L-E-C-T-R-O-V-S-I-O-N

Highlights - Jan & Dean sang their famous songs, as did the Beach Boys from the surf era, they could have gave Chuck Berry more time, Marvin Gaye was young and had not yet been given his hit songs, Smokey Robinson was MEH, Diana Ross/Supremes, wow, awesome but only two songs, a young James Brown danced like a mutha fucca and stole the show, Rolling Stones had Brian Jones with them and sang their cover "It's All Over Now."

And, Toni Basil (the song "Mickey) was an assistant dance coordinator....dang, she was old when Mickey came out, geesh.

And oh yeah, one of those dancers must finished the show with black eyes.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 225853.png

C-2

Reaction score
LOL. My 23 year old daughter and 22 year old nephew are both fans of this one.
Funny, after I played your link that one popped up and I was like, dang, that's a great song.

HTTP404

Reaction score
Funny, after I played your link that one popped up and I was like, dang, that's a great song.
I love that song. The story is killer Pat Brown did try to run the cops down.

From wiki
As tensions mounted within the community regarding the Cuckoo's Nest, the police started to station themselves outside of the club on a nearly nightly basis and started cracking down hard on both the punks and the club itself. Undercover officers, usually posing as cowboys but sometimes as punks, started to be a regular sight in the parking lot. Arrests became commonplace in and around the club, for even the tiniest infraction (jaywalking and littering were popular offenses), and steadily escalated to the point where business started to suffer. There was a very real threat that patrons could be arrested for any number of reasons before they ever even stepped inside the club.

This ultimately led to an incident in the parking lot on the night of January 30, 1981, when an infamous punk and club regular named Pat Brown attempted to run over two police officers with his car.[2] According to an eyewitness account of Casey Royer, Brown was driving through the parking lot with a group of friends while he had a beer in his hand, looking for a place to park. He was stopped by a man dressed as a cowboy, who approached the car, quickly told Pat that he was a cop, and reached inside the car to presumably put it in park. Pat punched the gas and took off, with the undercover officer hanging onto the car. An on-duty officer was catapulted over the hood of the car, who had come to backup the other officer, who some[who?] say Pat intentionally swerved to hit. The undercover officer was dragged several hundred feet before letting go and firing three shots into Brown's car, which had upwards of two passengers in it. He then ripped out of the parking lot and sped up Plancentia Avenue with no headlights on. No one was seriously injured, although both officers were taken to the hospital. Brown was pulled over a few blocks away for his headlights not being on, but was quickly arrested for attempted murder, after he was beaten severely by the police. Soon after the incident, the Costa Mesa city council revoked the entertainment permit for the Cuckoo's Nest, alleging that the clubs patrons were unruly and violent. Roach took the matter to court, claiming that the city had violated the constitutional rights of free speech and liberty for both himself and the punks. In March 1981, an Orange County Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the city, and rejected the allegations that the city had at any point been unjustly fair in its decision. However, less than a month later the California Supreme Court overturned the lower court's ruling, and The Nest was allowed to reinstate live music, much to the disapproval of the city. In total, Roach had been fighting the city for nine months to ensure that the basic freedoms of himself and his customers couldn't be trampled, with no help from anyone.

C-2

Reaction score
That is great!

I'm born in Newport and raised in Norco.
Wifey was from Newps, my FIL was Russell/Russel Surfboards. We were down there today with my MIL.

I was born in Bellflower but moved to Norco in 69', moved to Riverside in 74' and still live at the hill that separates Norco/Riverside...horses and goats too. Uncle still lives in Norco.

C-2

Reaction score
I love that song. The story is killer Pat Brown did try to run the cops down.

From wiki
As tensions mounted within the community regarding the Cuckoo's Nest, the police started to station themselves outside of the club on a nearly nightly basis and started cracking down hard on both the punks and the club itself. Undercover officers, usually posing as cowboys but sometimes as punks, started to be a regular sight in the parking lot. Arrests became commonplace in and around the club, for even the tiniest infraction (jaywalking and littering were popular offenses), and steadily escalated to the point where business started to suffer. There was a very real threat that patrons could be arrested for any number of reasons before they ever even stepped inside the club.

This ultimately led to an incident in the parking lot on the night of January 30, 1981, when an infamous punk and club regular named Pat Brown attempted to run over two police officers with his car.[2] According to an eyewitness account of Casey Royer, Brown was driving through the parking lot with a group of friends while he had a beer in his hand, looking for a place to park. He was stopped by a man dressed as a cowboy, who approached the car, quickly told Pat that he was a cop, and reached inside the car to presumably put it in park. Pat punched the gas and took off, with the undercover officer hanging onto the car. An on-duty officer was catapulted over the hood of the car, who had come to backup the other officer, who some[who?] say Pat intentionally swerved to hit. The undercover officer was dragged several hundred feet before letting go and firing three shots into Brown's car, which had upwards of two passengers in it. He then ripped out of the parking lot and sped up Plancentia Avenue with no headlights on. No one was seriously injured, although both officers were taken to the hospital. Brown was pulled over a few blocks away for his headlights not being on, but was quickly arrested for attempted murder, after he was beaten severely by the police. Soon after the incident, the Costa Mesa city council revoked the entertainment permit for the Cuckoo's Nest, alleging that the clubs patrons were unruly and violent. Roach took the matter to court, claiming that the city had violated the constitutional rights of free speech and liberty for both himself and the punks. In March 1981, an Orange County Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the city, and rejected the allegations that the city had at any point been unjustly fair in its decision. However, less than a month later the California Supreme Court overturned the lower court's ruling, and The Nest was allowed to reinstate live music, much to the disapproval of the city. In total, Roach had been fighting the city for nine months to ensure that the basic freedoms of himself and his customers couldn't be trampled, with no help from anyone.
Thanks, never knew that. Isn't there a YT vid about the Cuckoo's nest? Russell had a glass shop right there at Placentia/17th(? been a few years). Wasn't Zubies also on the corner of Placentia?

HTTP404

Reaction score
Thanks, never knew that. Isn't there a YT vid about the Cuckoo's nest? Russell had a glass shop right there at Placentia/17th(? been a few years). Wasn't Zubies also on the corner of Placentia?

This one covers it and the OC punk scene in general.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I caant hear anything.. just got home from a shinedown concert. Damn it was good

C-2

Reaction score
Austin City Limites did a live streaming event the weekend before last with Duran Duran. they still sound great.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… it is entirely possible that all of this or some of these guitar jams were done at the Brass Ring the second night of their three night stand…with the Wally Haider trucks out at the curb recording all three nights… First night was with horns… Second night mostly instrumentals… w/Jim Price on second keyboard…Third night Derek and the Dominos did a lot of blues tunes with vocals…no second keyboard… But Duane Allman was there all three nights…
… Lived with Jim Price’s sister three different times… never told him that I might be the reason the horns were gone… I had made a suggestion to somebody that had influence???…woops…
… Might have been the three most memorable nights in music I have ever experienced…
… I don’t know why my memory would be a little foggy on this… I mean after all it was only 51 years ago???…

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I know I’ve posted this plenty of times but it’s kind of a soothing before bed time tune to me.

C-2

Reaction score
Saw these guys when they opened for Sammy...yeah he had his hands full that night. If it was anybody else other than Sammy, they would have stolen the show.

Brad Gillis ripped for Ozzy, I must have played Speak of the Devil many, many hundreds of times.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Wifey was from Newps, my FIL was Russell/Russel Surfboards. We were down there today with my MIL.

I was born in Bellflower but moved to Norco in 69', moved to Riverside in 74' and still live at the hill that separates Norco/Riverside...horses and goats too. Uncle still lives in Norco.
small world. i used to ride Jeff Timpone's (Mr brown taught jeff to shape)boards. earlier you mentioned hawaii in the 90's... how'bout this-

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
i thought that was wave tools/ lance and richie collins but there were a few glass shops around there and i dont know if i remember right. ZUBIES!!! miss that place. beer sawdust and pizza was always a good time.

C-2

Reaction score
i thought that was wave tools/ lance and richie collins but there were a few glass shops around there and i dont know if i remember right. ZUBIES!!! miss that place. beer sawdust and pizza was always a good time.
16th and Placentia, Roger Baltierra shared the shop for years.

But yeah, Timpone and Stussy. We were in Kauai a few months back , digging around an old shack and saw an old ass "Shaped by Stussy" Russell board.

Main shop at the pier, "No Quarter" by Zeppelin

C-2

Reaction score
small world. i used to ride Jeff Timpone's (Mr brown taught jeff to shape)boards. earlier you mentioned hawaii in the 90's... how'bout this-
How did you find those guys? Never knew they had Ska in HI, awesome.

HTTP404

Reaction score
OK, don't laugh at me. I like these guys. They take me back to Windows 95.