WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you Paying / What should we be paying to get our taxes done?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Straight forward: my W2, Wifes W2 one kid still at home, house paid off. Not much in deduction no payout or cash outs/draws from investments.
What should long form cost us?

caribbean20

Reaction score
Straight forward: my W2, Wifes W2 one kid still at home, house paid off. Not much in deduction no payout or cash outs/draws from investments.
What should long form cost us?
Give TurboTax or another tax software program a try. $0 for federal and $30 for CA. You just answer questions and the software does the rest. It really is that simple.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have a lot going on, 4 companies, 3 are run at a loss to offset the profitable one. Runs me $10,000 to do the returns, alot yes, but all said and done I ended up around a 7 percent tax rate last year so I have no problem paying his fee.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I was paying 200-300 depending what was needing to be filed for basic w-2. I was getting more back going to a cpa vs turbo tax. So I didn’t care what it cost to get it done.

Reactions: TPC

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My dad has been helping me with my taxes for years.
We got home today from my dads doing our taxes.
Our return this year wasn’t great but wasn’t terrible either.

fmo24

Reaction score
We were paying 350 for two of us. Married file jointly. Now I’m retired no deductions just my pension and 401 draw so I do TurboTax. Think it’s 60 bucks for electronic filing. Florida so no state income tax

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I used to pay a CPA $800 to do my taxes. Then I used her return as a template and now use Turbo Tax Home and Business.

Having her return was a good start to make sure all the forms she had used were also used in the Turbo Tax return.

I'm still carrying forward a "loss" from the business I sold in 2006, Turbo tax handles it with ease.

This will be my 8th year, Super easy. I buy it at Costco $65.00

boatpi

Reaction score
Where is bad as one a day;
To S corporations, two LLCs, and one government pension

it’s insanity to figure it out but thank God I left California I’m not paying them 13%.

Bear Down

Reaction score
I pay $240.. and I feel a bit cheated..

Married Joint filimg but single income household..
I'm in sales with some sales deductions.. long form I think...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have been using H&R block tax cut for years. Getting all the docs together is the hardest part which you have to do either way, so I just do my own.

77hallett

Reaction score
I use TurboTax. My W2, the wife’s, and two kids. Then a rental property in Arkansas. I pay the extra couple bucks for the audit defense just for the warm fuzzy at the end of the day. Haven’t had any issues and handle all of my additional pays like CZTE, out of state, CA state, then the wife’s being CA resident but paying state tax in another state. Sounds like a mess but they make it really simple.

WYRD

Reaction score
I have a lot going on, 4 companies, 3 are run at a loss to offset the profitable one. Runs me $10,000 to do the returns, alot yes, but all said and done I ended up around a 7 percent tax rate last year so I have no problem paying his fee.
I need your guys number..one company and it costs me three times your amount and my taxes are 4x your %

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Still need to call them...

its been a whirlwind and for the best. Have learned a lot and we should be on the right track now on.

as for one a day. Pretty sure he’s not the norm. We are 2.5x that amount plus filing as well. We now also pay 13k for our R&D tax credits.

10k is a steal.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
My wife and I paid about 350.00 last year to have our taxes done. It was complicated though, both of us changed jobs, had a loan from my 401K then switched employer, bought a home, wife had some income from CA, 2K a month for me in alimony, and I am a union member etc.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was doing turbo tax for years. I did use a CPA's previous tax prep as template for a few years. That CPA incorrectly handled our capital gains I later learned. Had to file an amendment. H&R Block didn't even allow to deduct Calif vehicle registrations so we figured if they are that remiss, what else? I called them and they fixed that BTW.
But then it got complicated.

Every now and then on some years we get an inheritance and gifts in several different forms. Savings bonds dating back to the first series, cash gifts, early inheritance, property, after death inheritance, all kinds of streams flowing in so we like to keep a CPA close by. They've been helpful at times.

Maynard gets his $40.000 a year tuition picked up by the wifes work. Is that taxable? Can we still claim him? Questions like that ya gotta get right and put down right. What about the dorm and meals? Believe it or not that's tricky and complicated.

We're usually charged $660 but this year, straight forward taxes they hit us for $420 and the wife wanted to balk. She felt it was still too high.
RD talked us out of the Northstar option on a boat we bought once, what do I owe RD? Is that beer and cigarette I gave Dave as thanks taxable? Questions????

Thanks for the takes.

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Single income filing jointly with just mortgage interest. Pay my local tax man $130 and have been with him for years.

Icky

Reaction score
My gf used to use turbo tax, said it was crazy spending $300 getting my taxes done. They did her taxes once and now she's a believer. Last year I paid 350 and she paid 250.
We make our appointment a year in advance

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Married with 2 W2 and. One LLC (which loses every year) runs right around $1,000. I pay a book keeper year round to keep the LLC straight. So tax prep is straightforward.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I think we pay about $1k per business. We have 5 separate businesses. Wrap all that work up and hand off to our personal account who charges about 500. Shes independent so a little savings compared to an actual accounting firm.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
$420 seem high for what is basically a short form. If it was a mail in it would be $200-225 and an office appointment $250-75ish. Company returns are $800-1200 and more if a lot of closing work is needed. It entertaining for me to read what people will pay on these

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I pay 200 bucks but this will be the last year I use her and I’m going to get someone I know really knows the business and doesn’t just do it part time. I’m really considering have @shintoooo look at my stuff. As long as he promises not to tell you ass clowns how loaded I really am 😂😂🤑🤑

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve used the same guy for years, he doesn’t see things black and white, he’s finds lots of grey for me. I think he’s about $600 or so.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I pay 100 bucks, single filer. Going to use shintooo next year, ready for a change.