WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are your Christmas hacks?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Just spent the day with the family picking out the tree and decorating this weekend. Once all finished the wife asked me did i install the filler tube. So I went down the the tool shed and pulled out my trusty water level and a funnel. 5 minutes later we were done filling the tree. I leave the hose and just pull the funnel until water needs to be added. What have you all done in the past?

FAB5A48E-2153-4327-AEDA-31C018F7D6AC.jpeg

119E2472-C622-4CD8-B638-D935A1249044.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
haha i do a similar thing with a transmission funnel

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Got a fake one last year. I was against it but I must admit way easier that the real one. Plus got a 3 year warranty. I'm sure it will break before that it up. ;)

mobldj

Reaction score
we got the big fake fkr from costco.easy peasy in 5 sections.almost to tall.lol

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Xmas trees at CostCo are $35. Easily 7'. You don't get to look at them un-string wrapped. A Covid thing I think. I'll let you know if I wasted $35 when the wife gets home...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Damn..... what a bunch of scrooges in here. Real tree or no tree for me. My grandma had a plastic one. I HATED it. I've only seen a couple that look ok but they are pretty darn expensive, plus the smell of a Christmas tree is Christmas itself.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Lights are done tree shopping

Attachments

• 6484DC60-CBCF-4AA4-B6DB-CE4166E22AA3.jpeg
    6484DC60-CBCF-4AA4-B6DB-CE4166E22AA3.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 0DEFBBB9-84AF-4CF3-ABFA-69CC55B094BF.jpeg
    0DEFBBB9-84AF-4CF3-ABFA-69CC55B094BF.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 610D19CD-7706-492E-AA4C-98087D533DAA.jpeg
    610D19CD-7706-492E-AA4C-98087D533DAA.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 106

Bear Down

Reaction score
I save a 2 litter Bottle and use that to refill our tree. Fills it up to the top every time and no blowback when pouring.. easy..

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Xmas trees at CostCo are $35. Easily 7'. You don't get to look at them un-string wrapped. A Covid thing I think. I'll let you know if I wasted $35 when the wife gets home...

Costco is my place too.. They get truck loads of fresh trees all the time. I don't even unwrap it to check it out, just load it up and go.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I water with an IV. Tree will take about 2 gallons a day. I've had trees start growing buds on the ends of the branches inside the warm house.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My hack is my neighbor/ off road buddy is high up at a major Xmas tree importer: 13’ fresh tree gets delivered, set up and taken down , away by his crew every year. One less holiday chore is nice

SHEP

Reaction score

My family has had this as a tradition for 15+ years. We'd go get the tree from a lot, Home Depot, Costco, etc. and not unwrap it. The only thing that was determined was the height and health of the tree. Once we got up we'd unwrap it and whatever it looked like we dealt with. Some good ones and some bad ones over the years but sure makes tree shopping easy which is why I think my Dad started it.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
screw in hooks under the fascia boards for lights...First year sucked but after that makes hanging and removing a breeze.

We have a pretty good program and the wife and i can go pretty griswald in a short time inside/out.

First year with a fake tree and I think the wife is sold...lol

RaceTec

Reaction score
No family = No Tree, No Decorating... I offered to go out to my mom's shop to help her decorate but she said not to worry about it, she has it covered. One year she had an old digger chassis on the roof with Santa driving, she goes crazy!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Not done with it yet, I let the grandkids go nuts decorating it. Doesn't have that Christmas smell but the wife has candles for that. View attachment 947995
[/QUOTE]

That is awesome!!! I hope that you have an Elf on the Shelf up there some where.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My family has had this as a tradition for 15+ years. We'd go get the tree from a lot, Home Depot, Costco, etc. and not unwrap it. The only thing that was determined was the height and health of the tree. Once we got up we'd unwrap it and whatever it looked like we dealt with. Some good ones and some bad ones over the years but sure makes tree shopping easy which is why I think my Dad started it.
I worked at a tree lot for a few years in high school and learned pretty well how to read the shape and fullness of a wrapped tree without ever undoing it. Still got a pretty good knack for it too.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Damn..... what a bunch of scrooges in here. Real tree or no tree for me. My grandma had a plastic one. I HATED it. I've only seen a couple that look ok but they are pretty darn expensive, plus the smell of a Christmas tree is Christmas itself.

They make candles for that lol

LowRiver2

Reaction score

My buddy the Xmas tree biz guy says based on their intel, over half the customers in so cal that buy fake trees switch back to real ones in four year His company doesn’t supply Costco as people can return trees after Xmas and his co. Takes a hit on the return. I’d be first to roll eyes at anyone returning a tree but not surprised.
He said the competition (various) will take on the Costco contract then realize it’s not worth it in the end with the return loss.

They do supply Home Depot.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My buddy the Xmas tree biz guy says based on their intel, over half the customers in so cal that buy fake trees switch back to real ones in four year His company doesn’t supply Costco as people can return trees after Xmas and his co. Takes a hit on the return. I’d be first to roll eyes at anyone returning a tree but not surprised.
He said the competition (various) will take on the Costco contract then realize it’s not worth it in the end with the return loss.

They do supply Home Depot.
We would always get our tree from Home Depot when we lived in California. Always good trees, good prices, and the one in Atascadero had a pretty nice little set-up with stuff for the kids and everything.

calkid

Reaction score
Not done with it yet, I let the grandkids go nuts decorating it. Doesn't have that Christmas smell but the wife has candles for that. View attachment 947995
"Tree" progress. We never know what the grandkids are going to do. The wife is going to take them shopping for stuff that they want for it. I just sit back and watch with a cocktail and enjoy their enthusiasm. We'll see how carried away they get.
20201206_101400.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Fake trees are for assholes.. yeah I said it.

kinda dissatisfied that go fly has some way of watering via an IV treatment. That was gonna be my invention this year. Lol. (Seriously his is different though)

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Christmas hack? Hmmm.
Getting a live tree.
Not a fucking cut down tree.
Planting it in the yard in January.
First one was planted in '10 or '11, about 20' tall this year. 5 in the ground. One didn't make it.
Shade for years to come.

Dan'l

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I worked at a tree lot for a few years in high school and learned pretty well how to read the shape and fullness of a wrapped tree without ever undoing it. Still got a pretty good knack for it too.

Please share. I have to unwrapped a decent amount until the wife finds just the right one! Sometimes this can be a painstaking process.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My best Christmas hack is to Sous Vide the prime rib first the day before, one less thing to worry about for christmas dinner prep. Do the long cook day before, ice bath to rapidly chill, then on the day of the meal, set oven to 450+ for an hour at most, get the sear and texture on the outside and done. Better than baby sitting it all day while chasing nephews around or putting shit together or arguing with my parents, etc, etc.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Please share. I have to unwrapped a decent amount until the wife finds just the right one! Sometimes this can be a painstaking process.
Its more of a feel type of thing but look for the smoothest shape vertically. The wavier the sides are, the more bare spots there will be in the tree. Then obviously the bushier wide the wrap is the bushier they are. Also, squeeze the tree a little bit all the way up. Sometime there can be 1 or 2 branches that are larger that will hide a barespot from creating that wave like pattern that indicates a hole.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Its more of a feel type of thing but look for the smoothest shape vertically. The wavier the sides are, the more bare spots there will be in the tree. Then obviously the bushier wide the wrap is the bushier they are. Also, squeeze the tree a little bit all the way up. Sometime there can be 1 or 2 branches that are larger that will hide a barespot from creating that wave like pattern that indicates a hole.

Thanks, I'll remember this and give it a try.