WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What boat is this?

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
My buddy has this boat and says it's a a Cobra, my other buddy says it's a Kachina. I told them to look for numbers but can't find any. Anyone know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 50

Riley1

Reaction score
To my knowledge, Cobra was not a manufacturer until the late 90's/early 00's. And even then, they were just "Ultra" boats.

I dont know much about Kachina, other than their colors :eek. Too plain and normal to be a Kachina.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Trim tabs on a jet bote??

rush1

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it wasn't a shuster Tahitti

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
There was another boat company in SoCal in the mid 1970's to 80's that used the name Cobra .

As I recall they did not have any 'in house designs', but used molds from other brands .

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I bet with a warmed over olds that would be a 100mph boat.

You got that right! In my lifetime two of my friends who both knew I was pretty boat savvy bought Tahiti jet boats without asking me for any advice or having me look at the boat. Both of them had Oldsmobile engines.

One was running, and we brought it to Parker for a weekend,, darn thing was all worn out, honestly ran about 35 mph, and we told him he had to rebuild the engine and pump. Somehow, he seriously thought the boat was fast (and cool???).

Other one was more recently,, a kid who builds hotrods thought he was getting a deal on a non-running one, same combination. He spent $600 getting the heads done, but when he cleaned the block surface to put it back together, realized the block was cracked. so he drove to Lake Mead to find a "running" 455 Olds. He got that in the boat, we went to Puddingstone, and I tuned it with the vacuum advance disconnected, ran OK. He makes a trip to Mojave, decided he need to re-connect vacuum advance, even though I had explained that he should not, and the engine lasted 10 minutes before he put a hole in the piston.

Moral of the stories: Had either of my friends asked me, I would have explained that there was no way they wanted a Tahiti with an Olds!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like a 16 Tahiti. Schuster came out with this model around 1963 (had one with twin V-4 75hp Johnson outboards) then went Berkeley jet/427 Chevy with the same model in 1965. A really outstanding hull, raced the Catalina Ski Race in 1966 with the jet and got second in Women's Open class. Held the NDBA jet class record (for about a month) at 80.81 mph. Won the first ever jet sprint boat championship at Long Beach Marine Stadium in 1968.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Definitely looks like a 16 Tahiti. Schuster came out with this model around 1963 (had one with twin V-4 75hp Johnson outboards) then went Berkeley jet/427 Chevy with the same model in 1965. A really outstanding hull, raced the Catalina Ski Race in 1966 with the jet and got second in Women's Open class. Held the NDBA jet class record (for about a month) at 80.81 mph. Won the first ever jet sprint boat championship at Long Beach Marine Stadium in 1968.

Apparently it had a 454 or 427 in it before my buddy decided to buy it. It has a 350 now but does have a Berkeley jet on it. It sure seems to be a Tahiti but looks bigger than a 16. Although I haven't seen it.