WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

what boat is this

paul76

Reaction score
can someone tell me what boat this is all I know is a 1989 eliminator. im picking up here in next week or two hopefully
Resized_20180715_104522.jpg
20180715_1045401.jpg
20180715_1046041.jpg

gqchris

Reaction score
Wow, prepare for some work! She looks like she needs quite a bit of love. Just stored outside to rot?

paul76

Reaction score
yeah she does but I think she's worth it. I had worse before and price is right
price is right for sure. I had a wriest stinger jet before that was way worse had to replace both stringers. floor. bow was all cracked to shit. redid it all my self got it ready for paint then divorce. and wife got the boat. so new life new project

paul76

Reaction score
Are you gonna run it on the boat or update to something else.
gonna try it in the boat I know new outboards r not cheap at all. can't afford a new motor. don't have the boat yet either so waiting till its in my shop then I can clean it out get going on it

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I had the same motor on my boat I liked it till I lost a cylinder. Those 2.4s are getting harder to find. And harder to find people willing to rebuild them.

paul76

Reaction score
I had the same motor on my boat I liked it till I lost a cylinder. Those 2.4s are getting harder to find. And harder to find people willing to rebuild them.
good to know we will play with it see what we can do we at work dabble in everything machinist by day. did aircraft mechanic for a bit. race cars for a bit now we rebuilding some continental for a race plane

Nielmcque

Reaction score
That's cool stuff. The oil injection is a common failure in the motors.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's cool stuff. The oil injection is a common failure in the motors.

I vote remove the injection and switch to premix. You can always count on yourself to oil the engine, you can't always count on the engine to oil the engine tho!

Then again, I'm an OMC guy so my view might be slightly skewed.

I've owned a tower of power, several Johnson/evinrudes, and an old Johnson designed yamaha. Premixed all of them.

Death to 4strokes!

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I vote remove the injection and switch to premix. You can always count on yourself to oil the engine, you can't always count on the engine to oil the engine tho!

Then again, I'm an OMC guy so my view might be slightly skewed.

I've owned a tower of power, several Johnson/evinrudes, and an old Johnson designed yamaha. Premixed all of them.

Death to 4strokes!

The little plastic gear that drives the oil pump on the merc wears out and the pump quits. Premix is safer. Even if you run the oil I injection promising the gas at like 100 to 1 is still cheap insurance.

Water Romper

Reaction score
The little plastic gear that drives the oil pump on the merc wears out and the pump quits. Premix is safer. Even if you run the oil I injection promising the gas at like 100 to 1 is still cheap insurance.
Just looking at old threads out of boredom, saw this post from you regarding premix vs oil injected, am i reading your response correct that you add oil to the gas AND run the oil injector? I have a 1992 250 Blk Max 2 stroke (2.5) and cant risk frying the motor, your thoughts? Thanks

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just looking at old threads out of boredom, saw this post from you regarding premix vs oil injected, am i reading your response correct that you add oil to the gas AND run the oil injector? I have a 1992 250 Blk Max 2 stroke (2.5) and cant risk frying the motor, your thoughts? Thanks
I wouldnt worry about oil injection issues on yours. Its really just the OG carbed 2.4's that had the majority of the oil injection issues.

Its not a bad idea for cheap insurance, but I do not believe that it is a large problem in engines like yours.

hallett21

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about oil injection issues on yours. Its really just the OG carbed 2.4's that had the majority of the oil injection issues.

Its not a bad idea for cheap insurance, but I do not believe that it is a large problem in engines like yours.

We smoked a 1991 2.5 200 due to the oil injection system failing. Blew a hole through the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We smoked a 1991 2.5 200 due to the oil injection system failing. Blew a hole through the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't doubt it. I wasn't saying it can't happen, just saying the 2.5's don't fail at a rate anywhere near like the 2.4's so I wouldn't really worry about it too much myself.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HST4ME

Reaction score
ANY Mercury V6 with the nylon gear oil injection is a time bomb. I can't tell you how many powerheads I have rebuilt/replaced over the years due to gear failure, 2.0/2.4/2.5 it didn't matter. It is a death sentence for an otherwise damn good motor and I do not warranty any motor I service that the customer requests it is left intact.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Should the nylon gear be replace regularly (like an impeller) or is this not feasible? does having to much oil (pre mix and injected) within reason hurt anything other than maybe fouled plugs?

HST4ME

Reaction score
It is basically a complete tear down to replace the gear.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
A 2stroke outboard can safely run at higher RPMs at a 100:1 oiling ratio. The problem at a 100:1 was the engine wouldn't store well and damage would result from extended periods of non use. This was at least the premise and idea behind OMCs VRO (variable rate oiling) system which would mix your fuel at a rate of 40:1 at idle and closer to 100:1 at higher rpms. It was an early attempt at 2stroke emissions and increased upper end performance.
The idea failed miserably btw, the VRO pumps had a high failure rate. All new replacement "VRO" pumps mix oil at a flat 40:1 across the board.

What I think Niel and Lavey are saying and I agree with the sentiment, is that you can mix your fuel tank at 100:1 which will protect your engine against catastrophic failure should the oil pump give out and continue to allow the oil injection to operate as normal. This will bump your final oiling ration from 50:1 to about 35:1 which will smoke a little bit more and foul plugs slightly more often but is ok for the engine.

Personally, if it were my boat, I would derig the oil injection and just go straight to premix. If your going through the slightly added headache of premixing your gas anyway, you might was just do it all the way.