WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What brings people into your business?

dirtyduner

Reaction score
I work for a very successful Toyhauler dealership in the Phoenix area doing sales and marketing. I have been blessed to do a ton of different things with the company. The company has 4 locations, 3 in phoenix, 1 in flagstaff with the Mesa and West Phoenix location being the busiest locations. Last week I found out that I was being moved to our North Phoenix location . The North Phoenix location is no slouch, but compared to the other busier locations it falls short. I was given the task to go work up there for a while with a goal of bringing more traffic to that lot, and an end goal of getting that location to the point where they need more than 3 employees.

The location itself is kind of in a weird place, It sits on a corner of a busy street and a residential neighborhood. Up until this point the guys that have worked their have always bitched that they don't sell a bunch of trailers up there because they have less inventory and the lot is too small. These are all excuses to me. Guys that have gone there in the past have looked at it as being demoted, I look at it as a huge opportunity to prove my worth to my boss even more than I already have. My question for the RDP braintrust would be...

What are some ways to bring more customers onto this lot and in the end help me "shine" in this new role that I am taking?

I have a few things on my side, I run Social media and the website for the company. I get a lot of freedom with that, but social media only goes so far but I do sell 3-4 trailers a month just from social media. I also have the advantage that I know some ins and outs of Marketing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Advertise that location on rdp and other equitable sites where members would have an interest in the products.

if inventory is smaller do it like the car lots where you can market all the trailers online and bring one up to the lot from the others if needed.

Being you are online quite a bit , I would imagine it’s your biggest tool. As for the rest of the sales guys there... even if they are the best they can’t compete with online.

They have a book of repeat customers, and they have whoever walks in the lot.

You just started a thread and - 100+k people a month go through here. If you have a good message a quality product, and sales skills pretty hard to beat the “world wide” web, compared to the corner of such and such street.

What brings people to my biz? Google and my unbelievably bubbly personality and charm. :D

BONER

Reaction score
Cold Call, knock on doors, hand out information. Get your name out there.

I transitioned from the Car Biz, to Outside Sales 2 years ago. I've never seen a more powerful prospecting Tool than cold calling. It takes time, but only opportunity happens over night.....

Knowing what I know now, if I had to transition back to the Car Biz, I'd still cold call.

Icky

Reaction score
I think pricing and service after the fact come into play when purchasing a toyhauler

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'd make buddies with your local powersports dealers and try and buy the customer list from them of anyone who's buying toys, then call them.

Last edited:

dirtyduner

Reaction score
I think pricing and service after the fact come into play when purchasing a toyhauler
I completely agree. this location doesn't have a service department. (not enough room) but our other locations kick ass on the service side. do you think not having a service department at this location hurts it? there are 2 others for our dealership in the valley.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
I'd make buddies with your local powersports dealers and get customer try and buy the customer list from them of anyone who's buying toys, then call them.
just so I understand, have the Powersports dealer gather names of their customers who are buying from them and give the info to us? lol is that legal?

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Cold Call, knock on doors, hand out information. Get your name out there.

I transitioned from the Car Biz, to Outside Sales 2 years ago. I've never seen a more powerful prospecting Tool than cold calling. It takes time, but only opportunity happens over night.....

Knowing what I know now, if I had to transition back to the Car Biz, I'd still cold call.
I am an avid believer in cold calling, even if a potential customer says to respond with an email through a lead or something of that sort I still call them if their phone number is included. Another thought I had, was doing a monthly email similar to what RD does here. We get emails from events, signings, but never really put them to work.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Advertise that location on rdp and other equitable sites where members would have an interest in the products.

if inventory is smaller do it like the car lots where you can market all the trailers online and bring one up to the lot from the others if needed.

Being you are online quite a bit , I would imagine it’s your biggest tool. As for the rest of the sales guys there... even if they are the best they can’t compete with online.

They have a book of repeat customers, and they have whoever walks in the lot.

You just started a thread and - 100+k people a month go through here. If you have a good message a quality product, and sales skills pretty hard to beat the “world wide” web, compared to the corner of such and such street.

What brings people to my biz? Google and my unbelievably bubbly personality and charm. :D
That is really what we do right now, because this lot doesn't have a huge inventory we have to send customers to other lots if we don't have it here. That works sometimes.

I am to the point where I will pay out of my own pocket to advertise with you. The company has never done any outside advertising and I don't think ever really needed it. At this point it would just take it to the next level. The problem with me paying out of my own is then I would want the referrals to come directly to me, but that is hard when I am representing a company.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know much about sales or business models in general (even less about the interweb) Here is kind of what works for me, and would probably work in other scenarios. Offer something to people others don't, or like others above said, hit the adjoining markets. The toy crowd usually has it all, or wants it. Don't ever think a potential client isn't worth your time. Blue collar money and white collar money is all green! Get the name and products in people's sight.

...and it would appear Coors Light and pain meds help personality. Liquor up the salesmen!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd make buddies with your local powersports dealers and get customer try and buy the customer list from them of anyone who's buying toys, then call them.

Good idea, and learn the meaning gratitude.

Icky

Reaction score
I completely agree. this location doesn't have a service department. (not enough room) but our other locations kick ass on the service side. do you think not having a service department at this location hurts it? there are 2 others for our dealership in the valley.
Ive known several people that made the drive to victorville to buy from major RV instead of giant rv because the price was that different. A friend of mine was going to fly back east to buy a new dodge when his own dealership he worked at couldn't give him the pricing that other dealership offered.

There is a company and it may be yours (haven't paid much attention) that advertises on glamisdunes that seems to get a decent amount of sales

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
just so I understand, have the Powersports dealer gather names of their customers who are buying from them and give the info to us? lol is that legal?

No.. backwards, after they complete their sale they should be handing them your business card with the paperwork and telling them that you are the guy that’s going to take care of them.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is really what we do right now, because this lot doesn't have a huge inventory we have to send customers to other lots if we don't have it here. That works sometimes.

I am to the point where I will pay out of my own pocket to advertise with you. The company has never done any outside advertising and I don't think ever really needed it. At this point it would just take it to the next level. The problem with me paying out of my own is then I would want the referrals to come directly to me, but that is hard when I am representing a company.

Easier than ya think.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I am a Rowley White customer. I have had nothing but good experiences with your dealership on both the sales and service side of things, and will be a repeat customer when the time comes to upgrade in a few years.

I think not having a service department is a bit of a downside, I purchased from your McDowell location simply because it was closer and that’s where I found the model I was looking for in your inventory. I like the fact that when I return for parts or service I generally see the same faces and deal with the same people. I would not hesitate to visit your N PHX location- but I would say that finding a location with room for service would help with sales in the Peoria and north PHX area.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
No.. backwards, after they complete their sale they should be handing them your business card with the paperwork and telling them that you are the guy that’s going to take care of them.

RD

We have a similar program where we can give car dealerships some money for insurance referrals, I'd imagine the powersports guys would do it too as long as they don't also sell trailers. I didn't realize you worked for Rowley White, need to send you a PM.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We are a small hardware store and Stihl dealership in a rural community, stuff breaks and the weeks keep growing.

grumpy88

Reaction score
As a toy hauler owner I would never buy from a dealer that was not close to where I live and definitely must have a service department . I'm willing to pay more for convenience and excellent service time . Sounds like this location needs to expand with a very nearby service department . Shut down and focus on the other locations or hire a bunch of hot chicks scantly dressed ! Just my opinion

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have a similar program where we can give car dealerships some money for insurance referrals, I'd imagine the powersports guys would do it too as long as they don't also sell trailers. I didn't realize you worked for Rowley White, need to send you a PM.

See that Jake? Already happenin! Lol

lbhsbz

Reaction score

How do you think the telemarketers get your data?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
This might go a bit off point, but whatever...

I've never been in sales mostly because I have morals and feel that a quality product will sell itself, and only requires someone to punch the buttons and sort out the paperwork to make it happen. I've never been influenced by a sales person in my life. If I want or need something, I do my research, find what I want, then find where to buy it that involves the least amount of headache. That last part is key.

I've been involved in manufacturing for the last 16 years...both in house and overseas, and we never advertised or really did much to sell our product. We had a team of national reps that basically went around going "who are you sourcing from now and what sort of success or problems are you having with product from those vendors...we might be able to fix that for you"...and we did. In sort of a commodity market, we were able to illustrate why our product was of better quality, and while at a higher cost, would result in a better value.

"Value" is an insteresting word and concept. When most people hear the word "value", they hear "cheap", or process it as lower end of the spectrum. Value means bang for your buck. If you can buy product A that will last you 3 years for $9, or product B that will last you 6 years for $16....product B, while being more expensive, is a better value.

This is a difficult concept for many these days, but I feel if you make them understand this and you truly do have a product that offers a better value...the sale will come when you bring that level of understanding to the potential customer.

If you're selling garbage Weekend Warriors that fall apart and rot in 10 years and will cost near their purchase price to repair...the only way to sell anything is to shower them in bullshit. If you're selling quality rigs and providing good support...make the customers understand the value in that and the product will sell itself from your location.

You are selling relatively high dollar items...the customer needs to feel comfortable and secure in dropping that kind of coin. Limit the upsell pressure, limit the snake oil, and your reputation as an honest supportive dealer will do the rest.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I think you need to take the product to where the potential customers are. Take one or two of your popular toy hauler models down to the local power sports dealer and see if they will let you display them in the parking lot. Maybe even see if the dealer would let you put a side by side in one of the toyhaulers and dirt bikes and quads in the other. That would let the potential customer visualize what they think they need or want.
An incentive to get the powersports dealer to allow you to do that would be for your dealership to put on a bbq in the parking lot for their customers and potentially your customers. Hot dogs and sodas are cheap and people will stand around and browse longer when there is food and drinks.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Data is king.
Capture everybody that steps foot on that lots data. Phone, email, mailing addy, wife’s/children’s names, what they are looking for, est budget etc.
That is your marketing data mine. Buy into a CRM and set up campaigns to drive that lost traffic back to your site.
I look at buyers in 3 groups
1/3 will buy on the spot if you identify their needs (not always wants).
1/3 will buy in 3-6 months. These are your retargeting campaign buyers.
1/3 of the last 1/3 will buy in 12 months. Keep your name in front of them. Nurture and incubation campaigns drive these buyers. Think simple Happy Birthday emails from the dealership. Or, summer and winter type camping trips emails.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Some random thought from a former 20+ year advertising guy in the auto industry, at the factory and dealer level:

Build your dealership’s brand.
One brand, three locations.

Connect with and become familiar to customers in your area.

Give people reasons to consider purchasing from you.

Learn the purchase funnel.
Consistent, frequent messaging doesn’t click a switch that causes someone to buy an RV.
But it does put you onto their consideration set for when they’re in the market.
From there, you move them through the purchase funnel them BAM! - conversion into sales.

Identify the main profit centers of your dealership.
Make sure you reinforce these while also identifying other places for opportunity to improve.

The Sewell dealership group in DFW is the best in the nation if you want to see a great example.

You don’t buy a Lexus, Audi, BMW or Mercedes.
You buy a Sewell.
Because reasons, the reasons noted above.

Look, you’re gonna dump money to address people at various stages of the purchase funnel.

But having consistent messaging throughout, letting people know how you’re different, letting them feel like they have a relationship with you, is the key to sales.
Treat them well.
Make visits to the dealership something to look forward to.
It will likely require a culture-change, but it will pay dividends.

Oh, and don’t be in a race to the bottom for cheap prices.
Strong brand = permission to charge a price premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dirtyduner

Reaction score
I am a Rowley White customer. I have had nothing but good experiences with your dealership on both the sales and service side of things, and will be a repeat customer when the time comes to upgrade in a few years.

I think not having a service department is a bit of a downside, I purchased from your McDowell location simply because it was closer and that’s where I found the model I was looking for in your inventory. I like the fact that when I return for parts or service I generally see the same faces and deal with the same people. I would not hesitate to visit your N PHX location- but I would say that finding a location with room for service would help with sales in the Peoria and north PHX area.
It is amazing how wide spread RW customers are, What did you buy? I actually called Mcdowell home till about 2 weeks ago and I have been on the shuffle ever since.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Ive known several people that made the drive to victorville to buy from major RV instead of giant rv because the price was that different. A friend of mine was going to fly back east to buy a new dodge when his own dealership he worked at couldn't give him the pricing that other dealership offered.

There is a company and it may be yours (haven't paid much attention) that advertises on glamisdunes that seems to get a decent amount of sales
We get a ton of customers that drive from pretty much every western state to buy from Rowley White, Sometimes we aren't the cheapest, but we strive on customer service. I have personally called other dealerships that carry the same brands we do, fighting for the customer who might need service or warranty work.

We don't advertise with Glamisdunes, they didn't care for my podcast that I do when I was starting it and honestly its the same people on there day in and day out. But the guy who used to advertise with them left the dealership he used to advertise with and started his own thing.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
As a toy hauler owner I would never buy from a dealer that was not close to where I live and definitely must have a service department . I'm willing to pay more for convenience and excellent service time . Sounds like this location needs to expand with a very nearby service department . Shut down and focus on the other locations or hire a bunch of hot chicks scantly dressed ! Just my opinion
They are working towards moving the location, and the location does well on its own just having sales and parts. honestly service department is a whole other animal and I don't think they are in a rush to open another service center. The Mcdowell location is close enough for a lot of people for service, hitch install, etc

dirtyduner

Reaction score
This might go a bit off point, but whatever...

I've never been in sales mostly because I have morals and feel that a quality product will sell itself, and only requires someone to punch the buttons and sort out the paperwork to make it happen. I've never been influenced by a sales person in my life. If I want or need something, I do my research, find what I want, then find where to buy it that involves the least amount of headache. That last part is key.

I've been involved in manufacturing for the last 16 years...both in house and overseas, and we never advertised or really did much to sell our product. We had a team of national reps that basically went around going "who are you sourcing from now and what sort of success or problems are you having with product from those vendors...we might be able to fix that for you"...and we did. In sort of a commodity market, we were able to illustrate why our product was of better quality, and while at a higher cost, would result in a better value.

"Value" is an insteresting word and concept. When most people hear the word "value", they hear "cheap", or process it as lower end of the spectrum. Value means bang for your buck. If you can buy product A that will last you 3 years for $9, or product B that will last you 6 years for $16....product B, while being more expensive, is a better value.

This is a difficult concept for many these days, but I feel if you make them understand this and you truly do have a product that offers a better value...the sale will come when you bring that level of understanding to the potential customer.

If you're selling garbage Weekend Warriors that fall apart and rot in 10 years and will cost near their purchase price to repair...the only way to sell anything is to shower them in bullshit. If you're selling quality rigs and providing good support...make the customers understand the value in that and the product will sell itself from your location.

You are selling relatively high dollar items...the customer needs to feel comfortable and secure in dropping that kind of coin. Limit the upsell pressure, limit the snake oil, and your reputation as an honest supportive dealer will do the rest.

Yes, and a lot of the points you are making is why I came to work here. In a sense, selling trailers is identical to selling vehicles, Powersports equipment, boats. At the end of the day it is still sales. I sat back and watched the company and its values really closely before I made the decision to come here. I was afraid of coming to work with and for people who were shady people. I had seen this with other dealerships.

As far as value goes, I think (my opinion) buying a trailer from this dealership is the best value. not just because it is cheaper, but also because of the customer service through the whole process, after the process, and on the next one. That creates a lot of value for me, where the dollars saved does not. Now the tricky part of getting others to realize the value of buying from us.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
It is amazing how wide spread RW customers are, What did you buy? I actually called Mcdowell home till about 2 weeks ago and I have been on the shuffle ever since.

I purchased an Eclipse Iconic 1913cb-Le about 3 years ago, would love to upgrade to a Genesis 5th wheel now that I have the truck to pull it, but am going to wait until I have a house with covered RV parking first. The whole purchase was hassle free and we got what I consider to be a good deal. I was pleasantly surprised at your prices on parts and accessories.

This spring I brought it in for a bunch of little odds and ends, and with labor being $100 an hour, I was expecting a heafty bill when I picked it up. To my surprise, I was only billed one hour of labor, and the parts prices were spot on what the quote was.

I’ve also sent a couple of friends to RW who were shopping who ended up making purchases.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Allot of good idea on here, getting emails, working with local venders etc. But with a dealership, location is key, if its a crappy location you will be fighting a uphill battle. Also service dept is also key, I wouldn't buy a car from a dealership that didn't have a service dept.

500bbc

Reaction score
A sap behind the right ear and two Guido's to drag them into my office.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Well, I used to buy targeted mailing lists when I ran my pyramid schemes.
:eek::eek:

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’d work the referral program. It hasn’t popped up in a while but it seems every so often people ask for the “Photoglou of brand x” because they knew he would take care of him and would often drive past many dealerships to get to him or he would drive past many dealerships to deliver. Since you have a small lot maybe consider delivering the trailer to the customers home or business and handling the transaction there, then you could go borrow from your other stores inventory.

Advertise with Dave and have the add list your cell phone number so all the referrals go right to you. Aside from RDP, maybe consider Race-Dezert, and maybe even some Facebook groups. Also, one of the higher volume dealerships in my area, has at least 1 SxS in a trailer and cross promote with the power sports dealers like mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
Maybe stop putting so much stock in sales people's opinion and listen to those who actually buy the product you sell !

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I can tell you what brought me in dunno if it would apply to you.
It's all reputation, then price IMHO.
Call around for service at dealers and if you didn't buy it there, they won't give you service. Ya wanna take it back where you bought it. That is a BFD IMHO.

I drove all the up to Nipomo to buy our Toy Hauler because of the Service depts reputation in online reviews. And especially solid positive takes from RDP members.
No one came close to their OTD price.

What mattered the most:
Giant and Thompson's sales dept and especially service dept have dismal reputations online and anyone we talk to says they'd never go back. That includes a few famous celebs we know that have been treated like crap. Glamis Dunes.com and other motorsports site were full of customer horror stories. Those stories seem to vanish if it tee's up a forums advertiser. RD doesn't play that game BTW.

A good, no haggle price not presented like take it or leave it and a 5 star service dept goes a long way in the long run.

Good price but more importantly outstanding customer service.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
All the shops I use, the biggest thing that keeps me coming back is honestly and transparency. Once those are broken, I move on. My boat goes from Havasu to Carlsbad annually for service and repairs due to these 2 reasons! Can’t see myself using anyone else for boat repairs besides WOT Marine.

Since your new location does not have service, I think the best thing you can do is have valet service between those shops that do. Let customers drop it off, write up issue and then move to location with service. Once fixed, transport back to your location for pickup.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Its been a while since I started this thread. I wanted to share a few things that have worked, some things that havent, some things I havent been able to implement, etc.

First off, since being at this lot. Sales have doubled! But not because of me. I definetely had an effect on it because of the way I think, and I think that transferred into the other Manager here. In the last 6 months, I would say that 90% of the people I have sold too or even just worked with came from Facebook or Instagram. As a result, the lot Manager has realized that we shouldn't just rely on Foot Traffic and People to come to us.

I have only been able to start working with one powersports guy, and he hasn't been much help. I have sent him 10+ people which a good percentage of them have actually bought. He has sent me 1, and they didn't buy. I don't think he is the right guy. i think i am going to go straight to sales managers at the dealerships in this area.

There was a suggestion above about selling Vacations! I have really implemented that one and also shared my experiences and pictures with potential customers. i have learned that this is one of the fastest ways to knock down that wall that a lot of people have walking into any kind of dealership.

I have learned it is hard selling to friends, but waaaaay more rewarding when they do put there trust in you! With friends, the referral program has been amazing. Over new years we went camping with friends and 7 of the 10 trailers in our group had bought from me. That was really humbling!

Definitely not where I want to be, but I feel like we have made some good changes to this lot since I have been here! Thank you all for the many suggestions months back, I wrote a lot of them down and look at them often!

fishing fool

Reaction score
In todays world location is not much. People are lazy and will shop for what they want on the internet before they step out the door. By the time they make it to your lot they have already made up their mind and the price is the only thing left.

My daughter recently bought a car and 99% of the work was done on line. All she had to do was go down with her trade in for them to make the deal.

Ps... I did not read all this thread because I am lazy and just wanted to add my $0.02 to it.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
we have recently dove into facebook ads with retargeting. It is amazing feedback. The amount of money we are pouring into ads and retargeting is doubling our sales for products. If you have a solid website that also tracks visitors and what they do and what they look at this could be huge for you as well. It took us about 3-4 months to really figure it out...we didnt want to pay some firm to do it....but wow is it paying off. If your ad is solid at attracting people to visit your website and lot, then the retargeting ads could be a gamechanger. I strongly suggest anyone who is selling a product to look into it. Nobody has the reach of Facebook. We are getting into google ads next.

zhandfull

Reaction score
In todays world location is not much. People are lazy and will shop for what they want on the internet before they step out the door. By the time they make it to your lot they have already made up their mind and the price is the only thing left.

My daughter recently bought a car and 99% of the work was done on line. All she had to do was go down with her trade in for them to make the deal.

Ps... I did not read all this thread because I am lazy and just wanted to add my $0.02 to it.
Agree with this post 100%. Nearly all my purchases start online.