WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What can a Firestick do?????

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

78Southwind

Reaction score
If you are not going in the locast direction then you might want to check the ABC app. Last night I got a notification for an update and it looks like all the programs are available now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

78Southwind

Reaction score
I received an email from Sling saying the Super Bowl was going to be free on the Fox Sports app and Fox Now app. So it looks they are providing some free content as well.

78Southwind

Reaction score
So I went to check out the Fox and ABC app today and it looks like they were only free for a day. lol What the hell, maybe they were only good for Super Bowl Sunday.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Go back to post 7 and reread it. The last paragraph is the only way that I know of to receive free/donation local channels. I think Phoenix will probably be the most local channel that locast offers for Lake Havasu. If you want all the cable type channels then follow the video instructions that I posted in post 7. However, who knows how long that one will last. You might need a VPN I don't really watch it since I am currently using Sling.

If you're interested in locast check out the following video.

@fishing fool - FYI I just downloaded Locast last night and it has all of the local LA channels including the local news- KTLA.

Check it out, the only thing I realized is if you do use locast and you are looking for local news/channels you need to disconnect from the VPN if you are using one. Otherwise the app recognizes your location from the VPN which could be anywhere. For example I am in Newbury Park but the VPN says I am located in San Jose so when I go to choose my location on Locast it says that the LA channels arent available in my location. Once I disconnect from the VPN everything was good.

fishing fool

Reaction score
what is a “VPN”???

@fishing fool - FYI I just downloaded Locast last night and it has all of the local LA channels including the local news- KTLA.

Check it out, the only thing I realized is if you do use locast and you are looking for local news/channels you need to disconnect from the VPN if you are using one. Otherwise the app recognizes your location from the VPN which could be anywhere. For example I am in Newbury Park but the VPN says I am located in San Jose so when I go to choose my location on Locast it says that the LA channels arent available in my location. Once I disconnect from the VPN everything was good.

Meaney77

Reaction score
what is a “VPN”???
Its a Virtual Private Network that you have to pay for. Its supposed to prevent hacking and also traceability when you are streaming movies you dont pay for. I paid for it this year, not sure if it really does anything or if they are just taking my money.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Its a Virtual Private Network that you have to pay for. Its supposed to prevent hacking and also traceability when you are streaming movies you dont pay for. I paid for it this year, not sure if it really does anything or if they are just taking my money.

What VPN do you have and how much is it? Is it a one time cost?

78Southwind

Reaction score
My Chick wanted to watch the Oscars this last weekend so I went to my Suddenlink website (we have Suddenlink for cable at the our river vacation house which allows you to stream some channels when you're away) so I could stream it via the ABC app and for some reason it wasn't available to stream (weird deal), though I could get other content later that night. So we fired up the free version of the Locast and it worked ok (kind of a pain with them knocking you out of the channel every 15 minutes). I think we will just end up paying the $5 a month for the Locast.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
My Firestik can only do CB comms. Oh wait, different Firestick...

Firestik - 1.jpeg

fishing fool

Reaction score
Now that I have my firestick I need to hide the wires. What are you all doing for power? Anyone using one of these power cords????

Meaney77

Reaction score
Now that I have my firestick I need to hide the wires. What are you all doing for power? Anyone using one of these power cords????

I plug mine into the wall outlet.

Initially I plugged the power cord into the extra USB on the TV but kept getting an error message saying that it wasn't adequate power and would turn the firestick off.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Doesn’t really need a special USB cable, just buy a short one and plug it into your TV’s USB jack.

That’s what we do.
Works for Roku also.

Edit:
Yeah if you get an error message then you’ll have to go to the wall.
Try all of the USB outlets on your TV...I get the error message on one outlet on one tv only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fishing fool

Reaction score
After reading the reviews, some people said it would not work. That you need the wall power. I just did not want to waste my time is it was not going to work.
Thanks

I plug mine into the wall outlet.

Initially I plugged the power cord into the extra USB on the TV but kept getting an error message saying that it wasn't adequate power and would turn the firestick off.

Doesn’t really need a special USB cable, just buy a short one and plug it into your TV’s USB jack.

That’s what we do.
Works for Roku also.

Edit:
Yeah if you get an error message then you’ll have to go to the wall.
Try all of the USB outlets on your TV...I get the error message on one outlet on one tv only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I read the first page of this thread and watched one of those videos and my eyes glazed over..

This is why I just pay the 180 bucks or 250 for the magic boxes and call it a day..

Meaney77

Reaction score
I read the first page of this thread and watched one of those videos and my eyes glazed over..

This is why I just pay the 180 bucks or 250 for the magic boxes and call it a day..
Shamless plug?? :)

Honestly once its set up these things work fine. There are tons of Apps for these things, you just need to spend some time to determine what you need.

Also with your "magic box" dont you need the ability to plug into a modem at each TV? I dont have that luxury throughout my house so these seem to work for me.

fishing fool

Reaction score
You are correct Dave..... I am more confused then ever. I don't have deep pockets like you do to afford the fancy boxes. But your day does not stop there after you get the "magic box".... You have to switch them out when the signal gets scrambled or move one from one tv to another.

Shamless plug?? :)

Honestly once its set up these things work fine. There are tons of Apps for these things, you just need to spend some time to determine what you need.

Also with your "magic box" dont you need the ability to plug into a modem at each TV? I dont have that luxury throughout my house so these seem to work for me.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Well, I finally broke down and got HuLu for the firestick. I have to say for $6 a month there is a lot on there to watch. We are going to give it a try but I am thinking we will upgrade to $12 commercial free.
I also got a second one for the bedroom. Being locked down when not at work won't be that bad now.