WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What causes a ceiling to sag ?

Hammer

Reaction score
My kitchen ceiling is sagging pretty good. i can push it up with my hand. What causes this ? How can I fix this ?

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
First find out if it is only the sheet rock or it it is the ceiling structure that is sagging with it. If it's only the dry-wall, it probably wasn't properly fastened and might need to be replaced. Also, it could be a moisture content issue that is pulling it away over time.

If it is your trusses/framing overhead that is sagging, you're gonna need to get a professional to properly shore it up.

Hammer

Reaction score
First find out if it is only the sheet rock or it it is the ceiling structure that is sagging with it. If it's only the dry-wall, it probably wasn't properly fastened and might need to be replaced. Also, it could be a moisture content issue that is pulling it away over time.

If it is your trusses/framing overhead that is sagging, you're gonna need to get a professional to properly shore it up.

Moisture sounds like it could be the issue, It's hard for me to imagine someone wouldn't not fasten drywall properly. I'll crawl the attic this afternoon:grumble:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I second Doc's answer. Sometimes they put up ceiling sheetrock with nails, rather than screws, which can pull out over time. Or if exposed to water or moisture, the screw heads can pull out of the rock. In those cases, you can just find the cross studs/joists, re-screw and patch over the heads.

If you push up and the ceiling goes to level, then stops firm, then it's probably nails. if it pushes past level and seems spongy beyond level, then you've got structure (ceiling joist or truss) issues.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Also, if someone put the screws too far in and past the paper, it will work its way down quicker.
Be careful crawling the attic if your ceiling is sagging. If the structure is loose, you will find out the hard way. ;)

sent from a van at the waters edge

Hammer

Reaction score
Also, if someone put the screws too far in and past the paper, it will work its way down quicker.
Be careful crawling the attic if your ceiling is sagging. If the structure is loose, you will find out the hard way. ;)

sent from a van at the waters edge

I pulled some cat 5 cable already and the ceiling joists were stable in that area. I'd hate to find out the hard way :D here's a quick pic I took , notice the a/c register sloping ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331928560.819276.jpg

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
If it turns out to be a drywall/water issue (which is what I suspect) where the drywall is separating from the framing, locate the rafters/trusses, and use 2x4x8's and three inch screws to draw it back up. Then, screw the drywall to the rafters. If you try going one screw at a time, you'll blow through the paper, and the drywall will break through under it's own weight without the support of the 2x4's.

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
a fat Honeybadger :D

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drnkfr

teded

Reaction score
Upstairs jacuzzi

Sent from space somehow

Hammer

Reaction score
If it turns out to be a drywall/water issue (which is what I suspect) where the drywall is separating from the framing, locate the rafters/trusses, and use 2x4x8's and three inch screws to draw it back up. Then, screw the drywall to the rafters. If you try going one screw at a time, you'll blow through the paper, and the drywall will break through under it's own weight without the support of the 2x4's.

Sweet ! Great idea ! There's no way in hell I'm re dry walling the ceiling ! It's a rental, the landlord pays me to do repairs if needed. Not only that, it has blow in insulation.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
Sweet ! Great idea ! There's no way in hell I'm re dry walling the ceiling ! It's a rental, the landlord pays me to do repairs if needed. Not only that, it has blow in insulation.

Works like a charm;)

But, I'd still crawl through the attic to see if it is a water issue, otherwise it will become a larger problem...