WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What could go wrong? 18 year old semi truck drivers…

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Almost like there's a trucker shortage or something hmmmm

I drive I10 between AZ and TX a lot...not to mention I90 and I15. The amount of foreign visa drivers is unreal...good luck finding anything but subway and Indian food at a truck stop in west texas and much of the western us.

IDK if its a great idea but a lot of rural kids have been heavy hauling under farm licenses since they could get behind the wheel..the experience is probably there especially in the midwest.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I drive I10 between AZ and TX a lot...not to mention I90 and I15. The amount of foreign visa drivers is unreal...good luck finding anything but subway and Indian food at a truck stop in west texas and much of the western us.

IDK if its a great idea but a lot of rural kids have been heavy hauling under farm licenses since they could get behind the wheel..the experience is probably there especially in the midwest.

Those kids aren’t looking to be mile makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dspracing

Reaction score
Does trucking not pay well enough to attract drivers or has the industry expanded beyond our domestic ability to fill the jobs?

4Waters

Reaction score
Does trucking not pay well enough to attract drivers or has the industry expanded beyond our domestic ability to fill the jobs?
People don't want to do Over the Road anymore. I had one company call me and they said they had the best at home time of any company, 3 weeks (21days) on the road 5 days straight at home. Pass.

rrrr

Reaction score
When I was sixteen, I was wheeling my Dad's cabover Kenworth and a 48' flatbed with stake sides around Albuquerque, and occasionally taking it to Los Alamos and White Sands Missile Range to deliver ductwork for projects. I had first started driving just the tractor when I was fourteen, with Dad or one of his employees coaching me.

But today's eighteen years olds driving a full up 80,000 lb 53' or doubles? Uh, no.

rrrr

Reaction score
OTR trucking is horrible for one's health. Long hours in a seat, snatching sleep in four or five hour blocks in a sleeper parked in a loud and busy Love's, eating high calorie food loaded with fats, smoking one cigarette after another, and gaining weight until your joints can't support the 150 pounds you've gained since taking the job seven years ago.

Show up at an Amazon distribution center at 3 AM for your 8 AM appointment, and discover there are already forty trucks stretching out a quarter mile from the facility's docks. When you get back to the yard, the dispatcher assigns you to #4288, a clapped out piece of shit that fights you every minute. Your wife calls and tells you she got in a wreck, the insurance deductible is $750, and they want it before they'll start repairing the car.

It's a hard MF'er.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The way we keep getting jerked around by the gooberment, I wonder why.

I lost 462 bucks a week due to one of the new laws about perdiem. Now a portion of my miles driven is non taxable and is considered my perdiem. When before it was 62 bucks a day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
So a little back ground

my company GovPlanet sells mil surplus to the Public on behalf of the DoD

I am the area manager for all of AZ, but I also have a CDL class A and drive a class 8 tractor with a 53’ when needed for special projects and some runs from tucson to Vegas and back

We deal with trucks on a daily basis coming to our yards to remove customer bought items.

The worst truckers are

Russian decent, and by Russian I mean the -Stan countries

arabs are the next worst

I just kicked out a Russian driver last week after he told me to “ go fuck myself and suck his dick” after I told him to leave and come back with the printed paperwork for our item as required. I had to threaten to call the authorities 2 times on him to get him out of the yard

letting 18 years is not a bad thing in itself. Id rather have a 18 year old kid that wants a career then these Russians that damn near crime syndicates.

WYRD

Reaction score
OTR trucking is horrible for one's health. Long hours in a seat, snatching sleep in four or five hour blocks in a sleeper parked in a loud and busy Love's, eating high calorie food loaded with fats, smoking one cigarette after another, and gaining weight until your joints can't support the 150 pounds you've gained since taking the job seven years ago.

Show up at an Amazon distribution center at 3 AM for your 8 AM appointment, and discover there are already forty trucks stretching out a quarter mile from the facility's docks. When you get back to the yard, the dispatcher assigns you to #4288, a clapped out piece of shit that fights you every minute. Your wife calls and tells you she got in a wreck, the insurance deductible is $750, and they want it before they'll start repairing the car.

It's a hard MF'er.
But you get vip access to the lot lizards👍

4Waters

Reaction score
Walmart starts at 88k a year with weekends off

Independents can make even more. There is still a huge shortage hence why they want to lower the age.
Yeah Walmart pays pretty good, when I worked for a company that sold beds one of the mattress manufacturers drivers that came out of Texas got a job with Walmart, same money but home every night and weekends.

In-N-Out pays really good

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Yeah Walmart pays pretty good, when I worked for a company that sold beds one of the mattress manufacturers drivers that came out of Texas got a job with Walmart, same money but home every night and weekends.

In-N-Out pays really good

The real money is heavy hauls that require special permits and trailers. That is some serious coin

KoolPop

Reaction score

Independents can make even more. There is still a huge shortage hence why they want to lower the age.
I'm retired WM driver, and my SIL still drives for them. No way a new WM driver is making 88k a year (maybe sort of close) and definitely NO weekends off for many years.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Thats been the law in IL. since forever.
I got my "Class D" years before CDL when I was 18, summer of '77 IIRC. I drove and hauled bulldozers and dirt for a concrete co. Following year a crane.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It’s because Chairman Jao knows that his Vaccine Mandate is going to kill the trucking industry. Like what recently happened in Australia when the government mandated vaccines their truckers all went on strike causing nationwide shortages to the point that grocery stores shelves are empty. It’s coming to America soon - Stock Up!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

It's a hard MF'er.

you mean these truck stop Cinnabon’s aren’t good for me?
EB9AA0A3-A86D-4488-B03F-25222CFBFA78.jpeg

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'm seeing positive on this. At 18 years old I didn't have any bad habits from previous work experiences and had the energy and drive to do try my best at whatever I was doing, aka being a little asshole. I'm sure there are many like that today. Train an 18 year old and put them in the seat and I'm sure it will go a lot better than hiring someone from the middle east.

Last edited:

OC Mike

Reaction score
I'm seeing positive on this. At 18 years old I didn't have any bad habits from previous work experiences and had the energy and drive to do try my best at whatever I was doing, aka being a little asshole. I'm sure there are many like that today. Train and 18 year old and put them in the seat and I'm sure it will go a lot better than hiring someone from the middle east.

Makes a lot of sense, providing there is an adequate training period.
However, i know nothing about the trucking industry other than I dislike paying for shipping.
Which I am sure has had a huge effect on the industry as a whole as so much retail has gone on line and every effort has been made to reduce shipping costs. Not sure where the upside in all of this will end.

yard dog

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this , the first three years until they are 21 no Hazmt loads , Flat bed , doubles , and tanker that is a smooth bore . Only a semi with van trailer until they get the general experience of the operation of a semi over the road . In that 3 years they will get the experience of different road conditions, rain , fog , ice , snow , and traffic conditions and how adapt to them . How many 18 olds do feel are going to work 70 hrs and then only have 34 hrs off then back on the road with little contact with friends and all that goes long with life at that age and have that maturity to be out on the road for weeks at a time ?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I'm retired WM driver, and my SIL still drives for them. No way a new WM driver is making 88k a year (maybe sort of close) and definitely NO weekends off for many years.

Yes they are hiring at that rate in AZ for local hauls with your 36 hour reset on the weekends.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’m not totally against it if proper training methods are used. All people have a different level of maturity, I’ve seen some 30 and 40-year-olds that shouldn’t be driving.

There are some aspects I still enjoy about driving but I’m pretty much over it.😂
I tell people I wouldn’t wish this job on my worst enemy 😂 and I actually have a pretty good gig.

People and industries that rely on a lot of shipping had better get used to paying more because that’s the only way I see them solving the driver shortage problem. Nobody wants to work for what is being offered.

BTW has anyone in snow country seen the self driving trucks and cars and how they work? It will be interesting to see because the collision avoidance crap on my semi truck when it gets packed with too many bugs or snow quits working so what does the self driving stuff do?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Trucking companies have been known for years to promise the world and deliver nothing. Not saying Walmarts a bad company I have a friend that works there, but just like anything it’s not all sunshine and puppy dogs, and to make any real money you’ve got to keep the left door shut and keep Rollin.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Trucking companies have been known for years to promise the world and deliver nothing. Not saying Walmarts a bad company I have a friend that works there, but just like anything it’s not all sunshine and puppy dogs, and to make any real money you’ve got to keep the left door shut and keep Rollin.

the reality is companies are paying more then ever right now. We just lost 3 full time drivers to other companies in the past quarter in the western region to companies paying better then us. We pay 25-32 an hour vs miles

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
the reality is companies are paying more then ever right now. We just lost 3 full time drivers to other companies in the past quarter in the western region to companies paying better then us. We pay 25-32 an hour vs miles
Did you do exit interviews? Just curious if the money was the only reason they were leaving, sometimes guys leave thinking they’re going to be in a better situation? That was the deal with my buddy that went to Walmart.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Walmart wants more years then I got. So can you get any special deals on an m932a2?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
It’s because Chairman Jao knows that his Vaccine Mandate is going to kill the trucking industry. Like what recently happened in Australia when the government mandated vaccines their truckers all went on strike causing nationwide shortages to the point that grocery stores shelves are empty. It’s coming to America soon - Stock Up!
Yep. All the old timers and some of the new guys will not get it. Lots of people gonna be fired. Me included.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
That first sentence. Absolutely true.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Lol no. 99% of drivers are independent

Groper

Reaction score
Well yeah they keep driving off the side of the I40, yesterday WB simi crash site cleanup detail.

Every trip too and from Havasu there's some sort of aftermath carnage to guard rails, asphalt burn spots or serious rubber left on the HWY with a quick exit to the desert.

Saw several drivers on the phone, eating while on the phone with a few almost loosing it off the side and correcting or saving it.

ASSHOLES 🤬

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Owner operator and thus sub 100 employees per OSHA
Well, seeing those are statistics from OSHA I won’t agree with it, but true owner operators are maybe 10 to 15%. A good majority of so-called independent’s are leased on to companies and basically buying a job. I don’t know, I guess it’s not worth arguing about. If you were referring to unionized drivers I think that number is somewhere around 2% maybe 3% of all drivers.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Well yeah they keep driving off the side of the I40, yesterday WB simi crash site cleanup detail.

Every trip too and from Havasu there's some sort of aftermath carnage to guard rails, asphalt burn spots or serious rubber left on the HWY with a quick exit to the desert.

Saw several drivers on the phone, eating while on the phone with a few almost loosing it off the side and correcting or saving it.

ASSHOLES 🤬
It takes years and years of experience to learn how to drive with your feet while making a sandwich watching Oprah on TV. That’s why we need more training.😂😂😂

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I was sixteen, I was wheeling my Dad's cabover Kenworth and a 48' flatbed with stake sides around Albuquerque, and occasionally taking it to Los Alamos and White Sands Missile Range to deliver ductwork for projects. I had first started driving just the tractor when I was fourteen, with Dad or one of his employees coaching me.

But today's eighteen years olds driving a full up 80,000 lb 53' or doubles? Uh, no.

Interesting post..

Do you think the sixteen year olds of today are the way are because they lack the first portion of the post?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
It takes years and years of experience to learn how to drive with your feet while making a sandwich watching Oprah on TV. That’s why we need more training.😂😂😂

I’m talking about 1099 people.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’m talking about 1099 people.
If you’re talking about 99% independents I guarantee you that 99% is not the number for 1099 er’s, although it seems every company small and large just trying to make it that way.😊

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If you’re talking about 99% independents I guarantee you that 99% is not the number for 1099 er’s, although it seems every company small and large just trying to make it that way.😊

The point is the majority of the industry is 1099 ans thus not going to be directed to get a jab.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The point is the majority of the industry is 1099 ans thus not going to be directed to get a jab.
Will have to agree to disagree, however I am a company driver and I’m not getting no damn jab. Most likely just retire soon. I’ll wait and let them battle it out in the courts.

arch stanton

Reaction score
My insurance cost goes way up if I hire anybody under 25, maybe a big company that is self insured can do it but there is no way I can afford to hire anybody under 25, once I hire a driver that they don't approve of and he gets in an accident that is his fault my insurance will go up again for at least 3 years even if he has been let go.

DaveH

Reaction score
interesting subject. but to put some things in perspective......a 16 year old can legally operate an aircraft.