WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Did I Break? Electrical Help

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Got a bug up my ass and bought an Advanced EV 48V 4 seater golf cart. Live in a community where everyone's got one. Easy transportation to the pool, pond, liqour store, parks etc. Crazy deal on a brand new one as there is stiff competition here in North Houston. Anyways, got it home, putted around and plugged it in. Immediately all the power went out in the garage. Frdge, garage door opener, and battery chargers with no power. Unplugged everything, went to the breakers and nothing tripped. Started at what was labeled as Garage and reset 15 amp breaker with no GFCI (garage outlets have stickers on them stating GFCI but no reset on the actuall outlets). 15 amp breaker labeled Garage does not have a GFCI reset on the breaker but a bunch of them do. Ended up resetting every GFCI and breaker for nothing and then reset all power by flipping the main breaker. Still no power to the garage. Any thoughts? Pics of panel and piece of shit that started this mess.
20200525_202431.jpg
20200525_202421.jpg
20200525_202447.jpg
20200525_202440.jpg
20200525_202337.jpg
20200525_202322.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20200525_202447.jpg
    20200525_202447.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 50

blown32

Reaction score
Got a bug up my ass and bought an Advanced EV 48V 4 seater golf cart. Live in a community where everyone's got one. Easy transportation to the pool, pond, liqour store, parks etc. Crazy deal on a brand new one as there is stiff competition here in North Houston. Anyways, got it home, putted around and plugged it in. Immediately all the power went out in the garage. Frdge, garage door opener, and battery chargers with no power. Unplugged everything, went to the breakers and nothing tripped. Started at what was labeled as Garage and reset 15 amp breaker with no GFCI (garage outlets have stickers on them stating GFCI but no reset on the actuall outlets). 15 amp breaker labeled Garage does not have a GFCI reset on the breaker but a bunch of them do. Ended up resetting every GFCI and breaker for nothing and then reset all power by flipping the main breaker. Still no power to the garage. Any thoughts? Pics of panel and piece of shit that started this mess.
View attachment 880826 View attachment 880827 View attachment 880828 View attachment 880830 View attachment 880831 View attachment 880832

Sent from my SM-G950U

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like a "hidden" GFI - when you find it you'll likely be able to reset

Turnup

Reaction score
What's a crazy deal? Lol..oddly enough however is there a spa tub above the garage by any chance? Check above..

X Hoser

Reaction score
Check to make sure power is coming out of the breaker. Is it is, has to be a hidden GFI or a sub-panel somewhere.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
As all the outlets are daisy chained from the panel, you may have a bad connection in the last working outlet or the first non working outlet in the chain. Good luck and don’t hurt yourself.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
The power of RDP gets it done again. Very hidden outlet in the garage behind the Christmas decorations. Thanks to everyone. Now how do I charge this thing without this happening again? Surge protector, unplug other stuff?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Before doing anything else, I'd try a different outlet first, then an extension cord and an outlet on a different circuit.

EDIT: What is the circuit requirement called out on the charger data tag?

Edit2: If a builder put all the outlets in my garage on a shared 15A circuit with other rooms in the house I would kick him in the nuts.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The power of RDP gets it done again. Very hidden outlet in the garage behind the Christmas decorations. Thanks to everyone. Now how do I charge this thing without this happening again? Surge protector, unplug other stuff?

Run a larger circuit to an outlet that you can dedicate to the charger. Then you could maybe even see if it's possible to get a larger charger to drop charging times.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

X Hoser

Reaction score
Maybe a weak GFI outlet? Try another outlet on a different circuit first before doing anything drastic. If that works maybe try changing out the GFI outlet and see if that helps?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Plug into the neighbors shit...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
FYI I had a similar occurrence at my rental domicile in Vacaville.
Traeger popped outside on the back porch.
Could NOT find the problem and ran an extension cord from inside the house.
Finally found a popped GFI receptical in the back corner of the garage.

Taboma

Reaction score
Sounds like you tripped the GFCI, not the 15 amp breaker.
First determine if it's the receptacle or charger. Try plugging the charger into a different circuit with a GFCI receptacle --- like an outdoors one. If it trips as well, then they're doing their job trying to save your life. If you've tested it on a couple and it's the charger, take it back.
If it's the receptacle, head to HD and replace it.
The problem with the charger could be barely above few milliamps leaking to ground that trips it, or severe enough to kill you if you're standing barefoot on concrete and grab the charger.
GFCIs can be a pain in the ass, they can also keep you alive.