WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What did you buy??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The market took a bit of a downturn today. I put 5k on Cloudflare. I've had my eye on it for awhile.

NYSE: NET

Did anyone else buy something today??

DLC

Reaction score
Fence boards and angle stops as of now! Fence boards are out of stock everywhere, Dixieline just got some in stock....

I’m thinking about Buying a couple Cardiff crack tri tips later today to grill up over the weekend

this probably not what you wanted to hear

530RL

Reaction score
Too rich for my blood.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Didn't go with any particular stock this time, but added to my total stock market ETF. Not as volatile. Ill probably add a little my others next week

2Driver

Reaction score
Sold a bunch last week.

Was literally on the phone with my broker yesterday marking all the things to sell yesterday when I lost track of time and the market closed. LOl I said, Ill do it tommorow. 🤡

I have a short list to pick up but not for another 10% down which is coming.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Look at the bright side, it’s a buying opportunity for someone.
Most of the indices clawed back some of their losses at the end of the day.
Tomorrow might be kind of ugly going into the long weekend. 😱

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I have a completely newb question but I don't do any of this stock/investment stuff. How and where would I start? Am I going to be on Etrade's app playing the short game or just buying a bunch of stuff and forgetting about it for 20 years? Or is it better to just dump funds in a high interest CD or something?

All I got is a savings account and it earns nothing these days.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I have a completely newb question but I don't do any of this stock/investment stuff. How and where would I start? Am I going to be on Etrade's app playing the short game or just buying a bunch of stuff and forgetting about it for 20 years? Or is it better to just dump funds in a high interest CD or something?

I got started in 1997, invested 15k total in companies that I liked, Amazon, Costco, Intuit, Harley Davidson, Southwest, and Home Depot. I liked them because I did business with them and my experiences were positive. Never really followed their financials.
Watched how they were doing over the years, but, never adjusted anything. Sold HD earlier this year and bought some others that I thought would do better, the others I still have. Turned out to be good investments.

samsah33

Reaction score

If you want to minimize your risk, you can try some online savings accounts, they pay a bit more interest and you can maintain liquidity. If you can forego some liquidity, then you can get into CDs (cert's of deposit), which have higher rates. You can mitigate the liquidity risk with CDs by staggering the maturity dates (ie have 25% of your CDs mature each quarter). Moving up in risk, you can start to get into mutual funds or exchange traded funds (ETFs). I get analysis paralysis reading the financial statements of separate companies, so I prefer funds as opposed to separate stocks. I figure that on average, half of my separate picks will win and half will lose, so I just go straight to funds...

If you do want separate stocks, then just do as LuauLounge above suggests, go with companies that you know and like and treat you well, chances are they're treating others as well and that goodwill benefits the shareholders. I think that was Warren Buffet's strategy as well.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I bought yesterday. Hahaha
No really I did. 75 shares of AAPL @ $128.
This is going long so will try and DCA and chase it down.

MSum661

Reaction score
Set a tight stop loss on NET. You'll probably get it for a bunch less. jmo.
I like NET but its overbought.
$35.51 bid (after hours)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

If it’s money that you’re not gonna be needing any time soon (five year time horizon minimum at least) ETFs and mutual funds are your best bet in my opinion I’m sure others will disagree.😊

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

High interest CD??????? Where's that??? The best one can do right now in BANKING is a High Yield Money Market Savings account and it's at a whopping 1% at PNC.. Just dumped a bunch in there until after DJT get's re-elected.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Tomorrow is not looking good either.:eek:😩

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It went down a few percent from a typical holiday gain for the selloff. It climbed way to fast in an economy that was glued together by low interest. I dumped when the DOW hit 27,000. I should have held a little tighter but I don't feel bad. Like all things it will come back but I hate to think about inflation at this point.

gqchris

Reaction score
It went down a few percent from a typical holiday gain for the selloff. It climbed way to fast in an economy that was glued together by low interest. I dumped when the DOW hit 27,000. I should have held a little tighter but I don't feel bad. Like all things it will come back but I hate to think about inflation at this point.

Same here. Dumped all last month. I made a few bucks and decided to quit while was abead!

Javajoe

Reaction score
NIO, SDGR and ALT made me a shit load of money past 3 months. Glad I sold ALT and SDGR a few weeks ago. 😱 Going long on a few other that are down a bit but not heavily invested in those. NIO is strong and got into KNDI lately. Wish I bought DOCU in March 🤦‍♂️