WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do I need to do?????

AEA

Reaction score
I have an 1989 Sea Ray BR210, with a mercury 5.7L (350 cu in) and an Alpha One outdrive. It has 281 hrs showing on the meter.

It was parked in the back corner of my garage with a full tank of gas (55gallons) and no preparations for long term storage about 2000 or 2001. It has always been covered so it looks pretty good cosmetically.

What needs to be done to get it ready for the water again? My main concerns are what to do with the engine and drive to prep them.

So, what are your thoughts??

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Drain the fuel! Re fill the fuel, put some additive in it. Change the oil, the impeller, and put a fresh battery And go have fun.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't try and start it. I would replace the fuel pump and filter and rid all that old gas before you introduce it to the carb that I am sure has evaporated cleanly.

2Driver

Reaction score
Change the Bellows too or at least give it a good looking

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Insure and drill a hole in it..........:p

I'm kidding:D:D

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
bingo. Give the gas to your gardener or use it in your lawnmower

Drain the fuel! Re fill the fuel, put some additive in it. Change the oil, the impeller, and put a fresh battery And go have fun.

707dog

Reaction score
remove the drivers seat and stick it in a good running performance boat...:D

all the above statements true take it from all of us we are professionals :thumbsup

530RL

Reaction score
Agree with the other comments but your talking 14 or 15 years of sitting.

Drain Gas
Replace fuel filter
Change oil and filter
Impeller and housing
Change drive lube

I would change the drive bellows and I would switch the exhaust bellows to an exhaust tube if it still had bellows on it.

I would also pull the carburetor and have a carb shop rebuild. If in Phoenix, I would take it to Bob Ream.

I would strongly consider changing the fuel lines and clamps. They may leak if the boat has been through multiple outdoor heat cycles and the rubber is dried and brittle. They are most likely 3/8 and can be changed for about twenty bucks in material.

AEA

Reaction score
remove the drivers seat and stick it in a good running performance boat...:D

Thanks for the input so far. This is the idea I would like to choose, however, there are powerful forces in play that make this option unlikely at this time, :D

Wavemaker

Reaction score
In addition to items listed above:
1. Check any or all rubber belts, replace if any cracks are found.
2. Locate any and all grease fittings, and give them a squirt of fresh grease.
3. Visually check water pickup port(s), look for blockages from spiders, or sand/dirt present from previous boating trips. Clean as necessary.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. This is the idea I would like to choose, however, there are powerful forces in play that make this option unlikely at this time, :D

SBC/Alpha's RULE. :thumbup:

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Pull the drive, check alignment (coupler), pressure check the leg, replace drive and shift cable bellows, after oil change run engine to seek oil leaks, replace all valve springs (sm chevy springs are cheap),check P/S and trim leaks, charging system, open block pet cocks- get sand out of block and exhaust, impeller, circulating pump leaks ? Steering and control cables, interrupter adjustment, this list could go 'on and on'.......

Reactions: AEA