WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do U all think of this idea????

PVHCA

Reaction score
My 2 buddies father is a life long friend, he stopped by the other day and asked what I thought about this idea, I said I'd ask my boat forum and get back to him with the responses.

He's been a full time home-owner and part time resident of LHC for over 25 years, he and his wife go every other weekend, great house toward the south end of town, basically 7 minutes from the bridge. He built a huge RV/Boat garage that sits empty. He sold his last deck/pontoon boat and hasn't really thought about another until recently.

Here's his proposition and ideas:

A.) FREE boat storage if he can use the boat occasionally.
B.) Would prefer a pontoon style boat
C.) Would only use it with prior notice and when the boat owner wasn't.
D.) This guy is a clean freak.
E.) Insurance would be discussed.

So what do U guys think?

PVHCA

Reaction score
Sounds like a win / win till something goes wrong ...

Kinda why he wants to stick with a pontoon, he's a very experienced boater and takes great care of things.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal for your buddy's father because there are no risks. I doubt it will be easy to find someone to fulfill the other end of that agreement. Also you have to think... he probably won't find someone who cares for their boat the way he would if they are willing to enter this deal with a stranger. Would a clean freak like your buddy's father be fine with that?

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I have thought about deals like this from both sides...

I don't trust anyone with my shit is the first problem.... + problems happen no matter how responsible the guy is so full insurance would be a must and you as the registered owner could still be sued if the other guy kills someone

Nice Pontoon rental is probably around $400/day
Storage is worth about $200/month

I say the storage is worth 6 days of boat use a year minus whatever the boat owner values the added liability/added service/added wear and tear at. If I owned the boat I'd have the other guy get his own insurance policy.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't do it, but maybe someone would?

Does boat storage cost that much?

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Liability? I trust people, but something goes wrong, like an accident, regardless of fault, the owner of the boat could get brought into a case...

PVHCA

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal for your buddy's father because there are no risks. I doubt it will be easy to find someone to fulfill the other end of that agreement. Also you have to think... he probably won't find someone who cares for their boat the way he would if they are willing to enter this deal with a stranger. Would a clean freak like your buddy's father be fine with that?

Kinda what I feel and said, BUT ya never know. ALWAYS a taker for just about any offer.

I have thought about deals like this from both sides...

I don't trust anyone with my shit is the first problem.... + problems happen no matter how responsible the guy is so full insurance would be a must and you as the registered owner could still be sued if the other guy kills someone

Nice Pontoon rental is probably around $400/day
Storage is worth about $200/month

I say the storage is worth 6 days of boat use minus whatever the boat owner values the added liability/added service/added wear and tear at.

Storage in Havasu is pricey, this place is 60 x 18, he'd probably use the boat once or twice a month during the off season, hell I've heard of people doing a lot stranger things than this.

PVHCA

Reaction score
His buddy's father won't own the boat. So from his perspective, that would not be an issue.

As I stated above, they would have to discuss the insurance deal, U seem to have all the answers though. What happens if the boat catches fire in this home and burns the fucker down? I'd say my buddy's dad would get the short end of this deal.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
His buddy's father won't own the boat. So from his perspective, that would not be an issue.

I was thinking about the boat owner.

Say I do this agreement. I store my boat at his house. He uses my boat and runs over a skier. I would imagine somehow, someway I would be brought into the madness as the owner of the boat, right? That would be my issue with something like this.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
As I stated above, they would have to discuss the insurance deal, U seem to have all the answers though. What happens if the boat catches fire in this home and burns the fucker down? I'd say my buddy's dad would get the short end of this deal.

I definitely don't have all of the answers. I was just under the belief that boat insurance claims are similar to auto insurance claims. In any accident, the driver, the owner, and the insurance companies can all be dragged into the mess. So if your buddy's dad got into an accident, it would be him, the owner, and the insurance companies that covered the boats/drivers. But if the owner got into the accident, your buddy's dad wouldn't get dragged in because he wasn't driving and doesn't own it.

As for the house, I would imagine that the homeowners would cover it. I'm not sure if homeowners policies have clauses for car/boat/rv fires that try to put the recovery on the car/boat/rv policies. I want to say no unless the vehicles are being operated at the time. There might be some type of subrogation where the homeowners insurance tries to recover from the auto policy. Either way I would imagine that homeowners insurance would cover it. In summary, I'm not 100% sure how that type of insurance claim would go down and it's definitely important to figure out prior to entering a deal like this... especially if the owner of the boat is careless and likely to cause damage to the home.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I was thinking about the boat owner.

Say I do this agreement. I store my boat at his house. He uses my boat and runs over a skier. I would imagine somehow, someway I would be brought into the madness as the owner of the boat, right? That would be my issue with something like this.

Yeah, that would be the likely post accident scenario. I was thinking of it from his buddy's father's perspective. It doesn't seem like a bad deal for him. Like PVHCA said... always a taker for just about any offer.

thetub

Reaction score
No way. Too much liability these days.

I would never take someone's else's boat out without them there.

Fuck that!

x2

to many what ifs involved...
I think all of the scenarios brought up in this thread are reasons not to do it.
things are all good until something goes wrong...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I can only tell you it ended horribly for me both times I did something like this.. I wouldn't ever do it again.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
We need an insurance expert to chime in. I cannot make heads or tails of my policy. $500,000 per occurrence... have no idea what this covers.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Let me borrow it and wreck it and see what happens, LOL

That would be the thread to beat all threads :D

I can only imagine... I took the AZ Boater's Education course in January. Take a small test (passed), give $30 and I got a card. State Farm would not give me the discount because the wife is also on the policy. She needs to take the course too in order for us to realize the discount. I can only imagine someone else using and wrecking the boat. They would crucify me :)

thetub

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;0hVbCpv1eCg]https://youtu.be/0hVbCpv1eCg[/video]

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
We need an insurance expert to chime in. I cannot make heads or tails of my policy. $500,000 per occurrence... have no idea what this covers.

It should cover anyone who drives your boat unless they are an "excluded driver." I'm not sure if any boat policies would have that. Also, if the driver is covered under their own boat policy, that might cover the accident as well.

For example in CA, if someone causes an auto accident, the primary policy covering the accident is the owner's policy. The next in line is the driver's policy. A lot of the time the owner's insurance is the same as the drivers, especially if it is a family member or the owner who was driving at the time of the collision. That being said... I would think boat policies are similar.

I'm about to stop working and research this :hmm

Advantage 1

Reaction score
It should cover anyone who drives your boat unless they are an "excluded driver." I'm not sure if any boat policies would have that. Also, if the driver is covered under their own boat policy, that might cover the accident as well.

Right. That would affect my rates if Phil takes out my boat (mind you with my permission) and crashes :)

hvnfun

Hvnfun
Reaction score
I cant imagine that working for anyone. The owner would be examining his boat for any scratch, condition etc and would have short term memory. If a mechanical failure happened would be finger pointing. Only way a deal like that works is between good friends with a boat that is very middle of the road and the owner is very concerned.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I did something very similar to this and I would never do it again. I stored my boat at my best friends house and told him he was free to use it whenever.

My boat got tore the f*ck up. People don't take care of stuff that they don't own the way an owner takes care of their stuff. No way no how would I ever do a deal like that again and I would advise anyone and everyone against it as well.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I say try it. Post a thread and see if ya get any interest. Personally If I still had the bayliner and no place to put it I would prob go for it. Would be nice if there was some sort of contract for damage or whatever. Pontoon would probably be cool.maybe they can use the house for free when he isn't?

shan

Reaction score
Liability, liability, liability on both sides. That's the world we live in. :thumbsdown

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
If he's gonna use my boat when I'm not there, can I use his house when he's not there???

BajaMike

Reaction score
My 2 buddies father is a life long friend, he stopped by the other day and asked what I thought about this idea, I said I'd ask my boat forum and get back to him with the responses.

He's been a full time home-owner and part time resident of LHC for over 25 years, he and his wife go every other weekend, great house toward the south end of town, basically 7 minutes from the bridge. He built a huge RV/Boat garage that sits empty. He sold his last deck/pontoon boat and hasn't really thought about another until recently.

Here's his proposition and ideas:

A.) FREE boat storage if he can use the boat occasionally.
B.) Would prefer a pontoon style boat
C.) Would only use it with prior notice and when the boat owner wasn't.
D.) This guy is a clean freak.
E.) Insurance would be discussed.

So what do U guys think?

Be nice if the big boat garage had a head and a couple beds in the loft.........you know what I'm getting at???

waterboy

PONTOON MEMBER
Reaction score
nothing against you Phil, but your 2 buddies dad is a piece of shit and still owes people $$$, so instead of a trade for storage for use of the boat, why doesn't he just charge someone for storage then start paying his debts. What I'm trying to say is don't deal with this guy he is a asshole.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
These kinda deals rarely work between friends and family, much less with a stranger. Chances are slim it will be anything but a big mess.

The cost of boat storage is far far less stressful than the things that can go wrong with a deal like this.:thumbsdown

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
nothing against you Phil, but your 2 buddies dad is a piece of shit and still owes people $$$, so instead of a trade for storage for use of the boat, why doesn't he just charge someone for storage then start paying his debts. What I'm trying to say is don't deal with this guy he is a asshole.

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

hallett21

Reaction score
What happens if the motor grenades? And you're not the owner when driving it. Who's paying for the engine?

PVHCA

Reaction score
This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.....

So U are not interested? LOL

If he's gonna use my boat when I'm not there, can I use his house when he's not there???

U would have to ask him that if you are interested in his idea.

Be nice if the big boat garage had a head and a couple beds in the loft.........you know what I'm getting at???

He's considering that idea right now, said he has plenty of room to build a weekend apartment in the garage.

He's your buddies dad too Shannon, kinda why you guys loaned him money. Remember I explained to you how to get that money back.

What happens if the motor grenades? And you're not the owner when driving it. Who's paying for the engine?

I would hope that would have been discussed during the 2 parties negotiations.

Just to be clear, I NEVER endorsed this idea, as you all can read, most here said F THAT idea, this is why I asked for opinions, got them and reported back to him what the masses thought, he does have 2 guys very interested though. Like I said earlier, there's a taker for every idea/plan.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

is this a call out? :D