WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you bring in the car on your way to the river/lake??

asa400ex

Reaction score
I just read a post from boatnam2 about losing a friend recently. One thing I read in that thread was to make sure you have supplies for a just in case moment. I am wondering what does the RDP peeps bring with them on every river tip for that just in case moment?

I always bring:

1. extra water
2. food/snacks

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Historically we have never brought anything. Having rolled up on a few pretty bad accidents though I think I am going to put a first aid kit in my truck at some point.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I'm curious, has anyone ever seen an accident on Erhenberg Rd ? Seriously.

funk

Reaction score
I just read a post from boatnam2 about losing a friend recently. One thing I read in that thread was to make sure you have supplies for a just in case moment. I am wondering what does the RDP peeps bring with them on every river tip for that just in case moment?

I always bring:

1. extra water
2. food/snacks
3. first aid kit

4. tool box or bag.
5. all tools to change tire on truck or trailer, make sure jack and socket work on trailer too.
5. .40 cal.
6. extra quart of oil and tranny fluid.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Always good to have some first aid supplies and extra water. The life you save may be your own, or your family's.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Food/snacks
water
first aid kit is always in the boat

MCnParker

Reaction score
Tools
Water
First Aid Kit
Food/Snacks
Jump Box

This is usually what we have..

some form of protection...:cool

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Clean up rag. In case it's a good day and she can't swallow all of it. :p

Other than that. ..

Tools, heavy duty jack, tire stuff, snacks, and norma ALWAYS has a blanket. I've actually used the blanket on an accident victim who was going into shock.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
In the car, just a few bottles of water. The truck has some tools in it. I've been meaning to put together a small tool bag for the car, and a good first aid for the car and the truck, just in case.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
First aid kit and a fire extinguisher.. in each car, and Boat

westair

Reaction score
Usually just water, a few snacks and my .45 ..... but I think a first aid kit will be included now.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
4. tool box or bag.
5. all tools to change tire on truck or trailer, make sure jack and socket work on trailer too.
5. .40 cal.
6. extra quart of oil and tranny fluid.

Same, but being a paramedic I always bring some gloves. If something does happen I at least want done protection against other ppls fluids

FreeBird236

Reaction score

I've probably taken Rice rd. at least 75 times and seen one wreck, but due to RDP we've been going the Erhenberg route the last 4 or 5 times to Cali. I like the drive, but I am surprised at the amout of crosses and flowers along the way.:(
so be careful...:)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My wifes car has a small survival kit. Mine not so well prepared but we do always have water and snacks in the car.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I have a small tool box and first aid kit in my truck.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
My jeep is equipped to the max when I take it out...good first aid,jack,spare parts and air tools/standard tools/pry bar,big hammer

Wifes truck has a mini kit but nothing serious.

There was a gnarly crash on rice road on memorial heading out to the river. Looked like a solo car accident that went over a bunch of times. When we came up on it there were already 2 chp and an ambulance.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score

I have not ... Actually, out of all the times I have taken Ehrenberg, the most cars I have seen was probably 5 the whole way.

Undersoul02

Reaction score
Tools, jack, Ice chest full of drinks and food and a first aid kit. Also taking a first aid and cpr class isn't a bad idea either. I can say as well that I will never take Rice rd again. My wife and I had our first child last year. That made getting to where we're going even more important. I can, for the most part, control what I do on the road. I can't control what others do. I've been taken Ehrenberg the last few years and I love it. Other then slowing down for a few tractors I can set cruise control knowing I'm not going to have a hundred a-holes trying to fly by me on the left.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Coolers full of food and water, Springfield XD Subcompact .40, 2 phone chargers, tools and battery operated fan

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Basic fluids / parts for the car. A small survival box, I could be fairly comfortable for a couple of days.
Coming home once on a Tuesday, at just about the 29 Palms cut off I see a guy standing by his car, just sort of staring off. So I whip over, ask he was ok, and needed a ride, He said yes thanks, so I took him to desert center. Said he had ben out there for hours, with his thumb out and nobody stopped. No water, no nuthin! Said he had given up and was starting to go into panic mode when I stopped. He was on his way to some religious convention in Havasu. Probably figured God would provide, and maybe he did, but not without teaching him a little lesson!
I prefer Rice road. I travel fast, mostly because I don't want to get run over by some ass towing at 90 (yes I've done it), or getting road head. (that's what Iron mountain rd is for). I'm also in Rally mode, and not dozin off or looking at the radio.
And in the last 30 plus years I've seen some nasty stuff on Rice.

koenig

Reaction score
Good first aid kit. Always have a dog and they sometimes cut themselves in public parks on the beach, etc.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Tow strap and tools... Basically what I have in the truck daily from work

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
a medium sized AO cooler (it has nickname of TOLLUS) with some drinks and snacks in case of any unexpected delays.

small car has small tool inventory
small car has small first aid kit
small car has small glock
small car has big attitude, it thinks its a Porsche

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I've been going to the river since I was an infant and have always been taught to never travel through that desert unprepared.

I always carry two tool bags in my truck. One is full of all the basic tools one would need along with a first aid kid and tire plug kit (my previous truck has a built in air compressor). The other bag is full of bottles of water. The water bag gets utilized daily. It prevents me from stopping at liquor stores or gas stations and waste money on water or even worse a soft drink. It also saves time. I also keep a roll of paper towels, these have saved my ass (literally) when I needed to to go #2.

When I head to the river, I take a cooler filled with water, groceries and beer (you always want a ice cold beer once you arrive right?). I also take a floor jack and an old garage towel. If you've ever had to change a tire on hot black top, you'd take a towel too. A pair of shoes is also a good idea. If something happens and I need to go for a long walk, I'd rather be wearing sneakers over flip flops.

Brian

Reaction score
Tool box, tow straps, fire ext, water, some food, emergency kit, and first aid kit. Knock on wood, never had to use any of it in a emergency.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Water.
Toilet paper.
Credit card (with no limit) :D
Extra Magazines (not the paper kind ;):D)
Tool bag.
Cold adult beverages (for adult passengers and our arrival)

BTW.. guns scare me, don't own any. ;)

flyingcolors

Reaction score
most of the stuff already listed and always lost of fuel,you never know if or when you may have to idle with the ac on if traffic is stopped

RodnJen

Reaction score
I generally travel heavy with most of the stuff listed. Better safe than sorry.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Dvd's
Gun
Water
Food for my kid
Spare tire's
Cell charger
Pillow & blankets

brgrcru

Reaction score
It use to be.
1. Beer
2. Pot
3. Coke
4. Those were great days and we Survived:yikes

Now it's
1. The motorhome is stocked with everything we need to survive a few weeks. And help others if we need to. But non of the top 3.

77charger

Reaction score
Back in the older days i always brought basic tools for tow vehicle always extra drinking water atleast 2 gallons spare tire and a jack. tie downs were also a nice thing to carry incase you had to tie up an axle on the trailer if needed.

These days i mostly tow with camper in truck so have plenty of water,take 2 spares for boat trailer,still carry a ratchet tie down for an axle if needed.As far as truck goes unless its very minor you aint going to fix a truck on the side of the road anymore.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
We'll it is a 285 mile drive so of course....

155 mm howitzer
.50 caliber
12 gauge
Leg strapped spare .40
Second leg strapped .40
22 with a silencer
4 throwing knives

And a couple bags of chips...:cool

brgrcru

Reaction score

155 mm howitzer
.50 caliber
12 gauge
Leg strapped spare .40
Second leg strapped .40
22 with a silencer
4 throwing knives

Lol:D

yz450mm

Reaction score

155 mm howitzer
.50 caliber
12 gauge
Leg strapped spare .40
Second leg strapped .40
22 with a silencer
4 throwing knives

No grenades for the tailgaters????????? :yikes

X3 on the XD40, do you guys carry in a locked container or somewhere a little more accessible?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Good conversation at a time when we are all thinking about it.
I have always carried a basic survival kit in my rig. Cindy has a few things in her ride too, but we transfer, "the bag" around depending what vehicle we are in.
The desert isn't the issue up here, it is the high mountain passes and the steep canyon walls where a car can go over 2-300 ft. and never be missed.
You can buy cheap survival blankets that are extremely compact at most decent sporting good stores, the kind that you can use once and toss, or if you donate one at an accident scene and it is contaminated it is no loss.
I have a bunch of them around here.
When traveling in the desert or mountains try to have someone somewhere aware of your route and expected arrival time, and an "oh shit" time where they make the calls if you haven't arrived or otherwise contacted them.

Brian

Reaction score
Haven't seen it mentioned yet...

FLASHLIGHT!

That's a good one that got left out. I have flashlights in all my vehicles at all times. But on long trips when I have a tool box, there is always one in there too. Something else I carry is fix a flat and a few contractor trash bags.

530RL

Reaction score
I carry pretty much what most people carry relating to tools, water, flashlights etc. What might be different is that whether driving across the desert or flying in a small aircraft, I carry a Trauma Bag with all the things one can legally carry. I have opened it once for an accident and it is a real game changer for the period of time before professional help arrives.