WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you carry for roadside trailer repair

2Driver

Reaction score
I actually have 2 spares now for long trips, one spare is enough for short lake trips.
Thinking of taking an extra Hub with prepacked bearings. Seems like a easy roadside fix and safeguard, easy to carry it.

Been lucky 1 flat in 35 years of towing.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I actually have 2 spares now for long trips, one spare is enough for short lake trips.
Thinking of taking an extra Hub with prepacked bearings. Seems like a easy roadside fix and safeguard, easy to carry it.

I typically carry 2 spare trailer tires. The tool box that goes anywhere I go more than 100 miles from home has wiring stuff and all the tools I'd need for the trailer. Also if your bunks are attached like most trailers have them attached (shitty) then carry some bunk repair stuff...lag bolts, straps, whatever. Hubs are maintained annually and I've never had a problem or seen abnormalities during my servicing...so I don't figure I'll ever have a problem with those.

Reaction score
2 spares, bottle jack, floor jack, lug wrench’s, Socket set, misc tools, wheel chocks[emoji3463] been there to many times without the write stuff [emoji463]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
AAA Premier Membership + Good Sams membership. Flares, hazard markers, gloves, tarp plus rain gear.

Boat Trailer (when boat leaves Havasu)
- bottle jack or floor jack
- spare tire
- chain
- tire plug kit

Flatbed Trailer
- everything listed under boat, but 2 spares

ToyHauler
- bottle jack + floor jack
- 2 spare tires
- chain
- tire plug kit

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My big goosenecks have one hub, and 2 spares each. Bottle and floorjacks

The flatdeck carries a gas compressor as well.

Normal "jumpbox" tool kit is a Craftsman briefcase, powerprobe with extensions, butt connectors and tape. I now also travel with a Mac 1/2" impact and fresh batteries. Always spare tiedowns and chains.

The more prepared you are, the less you'll need;)

milkmoney

Reaction score
I dont tow , if I do , I will only tow with throttle behind me. He has everything and can change a tire like nascar quick
[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I dont tow , if I do , I will only tow with throttle behind me. He has everything and can change a tire like nascar quick
[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A few helping hands are nice to have around! [emoji3]

racetrash

Reaction score
On our trailers, we have 4 spares, a complete axle with springs, pre-greased bearings in a bag. Doing the Score series we are in Baja.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
When I've helped tripleb haul the the 39 nortech to Florida and back from behind the cheddar curtain, he keeps a big ole box full of blocks of wood, a bottle jack, a m18 1/2" impact, 2 spares, and 2 sets of bearings for the wagon...
Also has newer tires, and everything checked out by a local mechanic before we leave. They go through the bearings, brakes, and make sure the lights work...

Hauled it bunch of times now. Never had an issue, and I think its 1600, maybe 1700 miles one way?
He fuels, I go check tire and bearing temps, while I'm having a smoke. (I wouldn't even ask to burn one in his truck)....

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
[emoji843]Small floor jack
[emoji843]Impact wrench
[emoji843] tie straps
[emoji843]spare hub
[emoji843]Spare / full size replacement
[emoji843]A few short pieces of wood 2x4, 2x6
[emoji843]Head lantern / flashlight
[emoji843]Gloves
[emoji843]Road flares
[emoji843]Maybe a spare lug nut or two
[emoji736][emoji471]

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Back when they were repaveing the 10 At the bridges / overpasses I got a flat headed east and pulled off at eagle mtn rd.

I was back on the road in 9 minutes after swapping the tire! This was a total dukes of hazard tire change! As I pulled over I saw a 4x4 block, I set it up pulled up on it and losseened the lugs swapped out the tire and bam! Back on the road!

Totally lucky things went so smooth, I do have a jack and lug wrench etc in every trailer.

10 years ago I got a flat hauling fire wood out to Borrego /Ocotillo Wells, getting rdy for turkey weekend on our property, the tire shredded and as I tried to undo the lugs the wheel would just spin on the axle/hub, took forever and was a total pain in the butt, I had to lock the wheel so it wouldny spin so I now bring a long rod to slide thru the hole in the wheel just in case i get a stubborn lug nut, a cordless impact might have popped it loose, but doing it by hand and by your self was a bitch

rush1

Reaction score
Spare tire,hydraulic floor jack,box of rachet straps,Cuma long, wrench and socket set,couple of lamp bulbs,grease bearing set,hammer, set of files,small air compressor.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Spare tire,hydraulic floor jack,box of rachet straps,Cuma long, wrench and socket set,couple of lamp bulbs,grease bearing set,hammer, set of files,small air compressor.

Sockets, wrenches and my AAA card.
I normally tow one and a half miles to 20 miles to a launch ramp.
YMMV
Give me a call Eric.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
i throw a spare in the back of the truck if I tow the boat any distance- not from storage to launch. the toy hauler has an electric 1/2" drive impact with the correct socket on it and ready to go, 6 ton floor jack, 6 (10 ton?) ton bottle jack, full size spare, AAA rv and trailer, etc. Since I changed to g rated full commercial tires I haven't had any issues. knock on wood.
...speaking of wood, having some handy if you're using a jack in the dirt is a good thing. toy hauler has a plastic tub full of cribbing for leveling and such that can more than suffice.

farmo83

Reaction score
After getting caught last year lacking a few items.

A chain
A board
A Jack
A spare

teded

Reaction score
Spare
Lug wrench
And one of these
IMG_3315.jpg

McKay

Reaction score
On top of what everyone else says they carry I have a bin full of bearings, races, seals, bearing buddies for not only my shit bud also my buddies shit. Spare bolt on spindles or complete torsion arm, etc.

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The only thing different from my every day road side stuff is a grease gun full of grease. That way if I have a small barring seal leak I can top it up to get me off the road too fix it

CobraDave

Reaction score
Yeah me too. Lol. I only tow to the ramp and back to the south side but I figured my stock truck jack will do. I have a cross lug nut wrench for the trailer. Some straps that are normally in the truck. Sometimes I have wood. That’s about it.

getch

Reaction score
For just the OC/Havasu drive, not much honestly. Truck and trailer both have spares mounted, truck has jack that will work for truck and trailer, lug wrench for trailer is in boat. Cooler is usually with us, so water and food aren't an issue. And the truck usually has a strap or 2 to hold an axle up if need be.

TripleB

Reaction score
2 spare tires, set of trailer bearings, 4 way, electric impact, 168 pc dewalt tool kit, hammer, ratchet straps, bottle jack, grease gun, fix a flat, flash light, and lots of lumber

I trailer over 15,000 miles per year

CobraDave

Reaction score
It’s got me looking around now. How exactly our people using the wood? Anyone use RV leveling blocks instead of wood for soft dirt?

Duffster

Reaction score
I’m getting ready for a crazy ass 3-day 2400im journey across the country trip from California to North Carolina. I will be taking a light weight floor jack, lug wrench, grease gun, extra bearing-buddy with bearings and races, new spair-tire, and enough tools for a full service. The trailor has new tires, bearings and breaks. As for insurance AAA 200mi tow with trailer. I’m more worried about parking over night at hotels along the way.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Same as most here. Except I also carry a small handheld sledge hammer. I’ve had the steel belts grab the trailer fender and bend it in several times and it’s a pain to bend back so you can get the tire on.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Spare, jack, AAA card with RV coverage, charged cell phone.

Wassup with you guys taking bearings and hubs? You guys don't service your trailers? You just wait till it breaks, or what?? :eek::p:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I carry Boat US, AAA, a cell phone and spare beer for the wait

Motor Boater

Reaction score

Wassup with you guys taking bearings and hubs? You guys don't service your trailers? You just wait till it breaks, or what?? :eek::p:D

I have my stuff serviced all the time but shit happens. When I have my bearings serviced I simply ask for them to buy and extra set, grease everything and toss it into a zip lock bag. I blew a wheel bearing once in the middle of nowhere. Would have been real nice to have all the parts in the glove box.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Seriously though - for longer tows, or tows thru remote areas (like the desert, or 40 to the river....), I carry a full size floor jack, a few blocks of wood to act as a tire chalk and to help with getting extra height out of the jack if needed. Full size lug wrench, some grease rags, small 5lb sledge, and make sure my spare is inflated and not old as dirt. We keep the boat at the river so that isn't really an issue, but for the toy hauler or motorhome / trailer setup I keep these things loaded and handy

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

I'm surprised some on here don't carry a spare trailer.

Spare tire, when I remember it.
4 way lug wrench already in the truck.
4x4 and 2x4, already in the truck.

Dan'l

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised some on here don't carry a spare trailer.

Spare tire, when I remember it.
4 way lug wrench already in the truck.
4x4 and 2x4, already in the truck.

Dan'l

Right? lol

Every three years or so the wheels and hubs come off my trailers. Tires more than 7 years old? Time to throw em away.

New seals and grease and I'm on the road again. Being broke down on vacation is not my idea of fun.

Everyone services their boat every year, but they forget all about the trailer, until it's too late that is. :p

Dana757

Reaction score
I run 10"wheels and I do take 2 spares. And I do take an extra hub with pre packed bearings. Also another complete set of bearings, grease and everything else to change it. Even extra bearing buddy.

TripleB

Reaction score
Right? lol

Every three years or so the wheels and hubs come off my trailers. Tires more than 7 years old? Time to throw em away.

New seals and grease and I'm on the road again. Being broke down on vacation is not my idea of fun.

Everyone services their boat every year, but they forget all about the trailer, until it's too late that is. :p

Every year the brakes and bearings are gone thru, when youre pulling horses you cant break down

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Every year the brakes and bearings are gone thru, when youre pulling horses you cant break down

What tires do you run on the horse haulers?

69 1/2

Reaction score
I trailer 5-6,000 miles each year and carry two spares and a floor jack. I’ve never given spare bearings any thought. I maintence them in the spring and they always look fine the next spring when it’s time again. Do they fail frequently?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I trailer 5-6,000 miles each year and carry two spares and a floor jack. I’ve never given spare bearings any thought. I maintence them in the spring and they always look fine the next spring when it’s time again. Do they fail frequently?
No, but when the seal goes, so does the grease...

Your ad here

Reaction score
Ever since RD stopped loaning is trailer out I haven't had to worry about this.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Wholly shit am I unprepared, I feel like a liberal during the apocalypse.

lmao.

Hell, my trailer bearings have never been serviced. OEM from 2005. I keep up on the grease. There's no leaks at seals and hubs don't get hot. I should check the play though. I guess I'm following the UFP manual too closely? lol. I'm lucky if I remember the racket and wrench to dismount the spare from the trailer. I do have AAA premier.

I like to keep my MacGyver skills up-to-date though.