WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you respect more?

attitude

Reaction score
What do you respect more, time or money?

I’ve had this argument a couple times with my dad. He is the type of person to look who has the cheapest gas and then drive all over town to fill up, not because he can’t afford it but because he says you should always respect money. What I tell him is that he should respect his time, to me wasting 15-20 minutes isn’t worth saving a couple cents a gallon especially when I have my family at home. This is just an example but I’m curious what the inmates have to say?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Don't know how old you or you father are but some of us older guys tend to look at money.

My parents grew up in the great depression generation and passed on those priorities to my generation

I constantly catch myself thinking the same way (except when spending $ on the boat, lol)

I get real excited when I find a bungee cord on the side of the road!

BONER

Reaction score
At work, time is my biggest Enemy. But good time management leads to more money.

Driving around looking to save a couple cents on fuel though? I'm out on that shit. I'd rather pay a couple more bucks for convenience.

attitude

Reaction score
Lots a ways of looking at that! :) .. I've laid on that slab 3 times now, checking out! .... So I'd say -- Time! -- But wouldn't mind that Fkn lottery Ticket! :D
Exactly, my dad was in a pretty bad Harley accident and is very lucky to be here today. Last week I had to put a new battery in my truck so when I got home from work I took my battery to my local autozone bought a new one came home and put it in, took me maybe 30-45 minutes total and I got to hangout with my 9 month old son after. When I told my dad he was upset that I didn’t drive across town to Walmart to save literally $10. I don’t get it...

ssc

Reaction score
Time. However, If we are only talking about a few minutes, then I might consider saving a few bucks. But driving in Socal traffic only a few miles with the crazy blood pressure increasing, time consuming hazards on the road---NO WAY. I have always enjoyed paying more for convenience.

Cheers, Steve

attitude

Reaction score
Don't know how old you or you father are but some of us older guys tend to look at money.

My parents grew up in the great depression generation and passed on those priorities to my generation

I constantly catch myself thinking the same way (except when spending $ on the boat, lol)

I get real excited when I find a bungee cord on the side of the road!
My dad is 56 and I’m 24. To me if anything it should be the other way around, as you get older money becomes less important and time becomes more important.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
When I was young and had all the time in the world it was about money. Now I'm 63 and retired so time is much more important.

Plus I now have gas and diesel tanks at my house so I can fill up at home. $2.35 for regular gas and $2.85 for clear diesel delivered to my house.
IMG_7602.JPG

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Respect both, money and time. When you're young, time seems more important to achieve things in a hurry [ seems that way for my son who's 30 ;)]but , when you make it to 70 and over, money [ health is even more important ] is more important.The government gives you s....t as pension concerned:eek:, You're young [ 24 ] start saving money for your old age to look after yourself.
Ps; when I was young, I couldn't have all the hot cars and chicks WITHOUT MONEY.
Well, you had to have a good job as well, duh.:p

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Just fill up while yore at Costco and respect both.

we live in a rural town(expensive gas) so whenever we are in the city we fill up.
I cant believe how many people are waiting 5-10 cars deep to save 5-20 cents a gallon to fill up their econo box with 10 gallons.
in my case i need 30-40 gallons and if its over 2 cars deep i don't wait. and i'm old and cheap.

bocco

Reaction score
Just fill up while yore at Costco and respect both.
I was at Costco yesterday. the gas line was unbelievable. 8 lanes, 10 cars deep. I started thinking that a lot of those cars only have a 16 gallon tank. Costco gas prices are about 10 cents cheaper. So these people waste a lot of time waiting to save about $1.60.

Mando B

Reaction score
Time is money the more time I waste the more money I could of made.

oldschool

Reaction score
Yes, our time is obviously very important why waste it doing frivolous things.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Seems to me, I either have one or the other. :confused:
/ thread

Depends on how much time and how much money. I have seen stations with in a mile that were $.75 different. When you are buying 35+ gallons of diesel that t mins is worth something. $.05 diffrence, no way.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Think I might be cheaper than most.. Just depends on how much money I’m saving. I still wash my own truck 90% of the time because I’m too cheap.
The gas station around the corner from my house is .30cent ish more than everyone else. I’ll put a few gallons in if i really need it. I only fill up at the normal places that are usually the cheaper.

hallett21

Reaction score
When I was young and had all the time in the world it was about money. Now I'm 63 and retired so time is much more important.

Plus I now have gas and diesel tanks at my house so I can fill up at home. $2.35 for regular gas and $2.85 for clear diesel delivered to my house. View attachment 841481

I’ve always wanted to do this. Do you get any discount buying in bulk?

Who do you order through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja 252

Reaction score
My dad used to go to Home Depot, pick up a few things and then get mad the line was so long. He’d wait all of two minutes, then put his stuff down and leave only to have to return the next day to get what he needed. I used to tell him he was nuts, but all he would do was say he didn’t have time to wait in a line.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to do this. Do you get any discount buying in bulk?

Who do you order through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Tanks are free too. I use a local provider in the next town over here in northern NV. I get my propane from them too.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Making money was how I spent too much time. I didn't spend either wisely. When Pops died, the light bulb flickered a bit, but I've never been too bright. I still worked more than lived, and kids were in daycare, or asleep before I got home. Then Mom died, 5 years after Pops. She was 65, Pops was 64 when he passed...I was 36. It was past half-time. I had already been "on a slab" as @River Runnin put it, at 28 in cardiac arrest...

I've watched both time and money slip away. One things for damn sure, one hurts way more than the other. I'll spend what little money I have, to save a little time for more important things. I respect both I guess, both time and money. The difference, is I fear running out of one.

BlowMe

Reaction score
Time. For sure. I can always make more money but I can never get my time back

gqchris

Reaction score
My dad used to go to Home Depot, pick up a few things and then get mad the line was so long. He’d wait all of two minutes, then put his stuff down and leave only to have to return the next day to get what he needed. I used to tell him he was nuts, but all he would do was say he didn’t have time to wait in a line.

I like visiting my local Ace Hardware. Its more money, but they help you the minute you walk in and no line! Worth it to me and yes, I pay for convenience also. The older I get the more I pay for upgrades also!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Time and distance are the same thing. You live in the moment, remember the past and think about the future. Money was invented to give people purpose. I like purpose.:)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Think I might be cheaper than most.. Just depends on how much money I’m saving. I still wash my own truck 90% of the time because I’m too cheap.
The gas station around the corner from my house is .30cent ish more than everyone else. I’ll put a few gallons in if i really need it. I only fill up at the normal places that are usually the cheaper.
Gas stations in Simi Today are 40 Cents a gallon apart for Diesel. Stations near COSTCOs usually are the cheapest in most towns. I won't try and save a nickel a gallon, but 40 cents when I pump about 40 gallons is 40 common sense.

Reactions: DWC

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My kids said "I've got time"
I said," No you don't. Time has you, it has you by the balls, and it doesn't give a fuck about you."

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
The only real currency in this life is time. Use time wisely to make money and focus on making money when you would be wasting time.

When we are young we tend to waste time and not maximize its potential. As we age we realize that we want to make the most of the time we have left and often regret not utilizing that time to create monetary stability when we were younger. *Insert mid-life crisis here*

BUSTI

Reaction score
Time for sure. It’s the only thing we can not create or produce more of.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
For me it depends, I weigh the situation and make a decision, but I definitely don't like hassles or waiting.

Albert

Reaction score
Time, but also remember you need to do something with that time. A idling mind is the devils playground .

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
That's always the conundrum that I face. It's hard to have time, money and ambition all at the same moment.
But when those moments happen, holy SHIT!

Some of my best memories. :)

I've had a fair amount of windshield time to contemplate just "what to do" in those situations. Been lucky enough to pull off most of the things on my list. :cool:

Powell is going to be a reality for me sooner than later.