WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you think about RV inspections?

Steve-o

Reaction score
Looking at buying a used motorhome private party from about 7 hours away. Do you think an RV inspection is worth it? If so, where would you find one? Looks like many options.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Looking at buying a used motorhome private party from about 7 hours away. Do you think an RV inspection is worth it? If so, where would you find one? Looks like many options.
Are you financing and is it required by the lender? When we bought ours the lender provided the inspector.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have owned several RVs

Check the drive train of course

Also chwcknthe fridge. They are suspect at best. Make sure they can efficiently run off of gas.

Check the stove, heater ans AC. Ctank.thw AC up and let it run to make sure it won't Freeze up

Lastly, chwck and make sure the generator runs well and all the aforementioned items can run off of it

Steve-o

Reaction score
Yes, we’re financing. The lender looks like they aren’t going to require an inspection. We have done a FaceTime walk through with the current owner and he showed that everything worked. I was thinking a $400 inspection may be better than a 14 hour drive if something doesn’t go well. I don’t if they are basic inspections though and won’t find anything

Meaney77

Reaction score
Check the roof.... When we were looking at rigs and looked at one in particular it had a rubber roof. When I climbed up the ladder to take a look at the vents, roof condition etc, there was a large tear that went from the front to back, almost if the ran into a low hanging tree branch or something and the owner wasnt aware of it until I climbed up there and told him about it.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
For sure get inspected. otherwise asking for trouble.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The $400 dollar inspection will likely pay for itself, even if they only find 1 item. Plus it will save you a lot of time if the seller isn't representing the RV honestly! So unless your buying an old fixer upper I would ante up for an inspection!

wzuber

Reaction score
Check the roof.... When we were looking at rigs and looked at one in particular it had a rubber roof. When I climbed up the ladder to take a look at the vents, roof condition etc, there was a large tear that went from the front to back, almost if the ran into a low hanging tree branch or something and the owner wasnt aware of it until I climbed up there and told him about it.
This^^^^^^
That's a major issue and exceedingly common on all r.v.'s with EPDM rubber roofs. Choose an r.v. with a full fiberglass roof cap like a Rexhall moho. You can walk the full length of theirs w/out issue. Makes maintaining ALL roof penetrations sooo much easier, better etc.

HBCraig

Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got one.. lol. I’m not sure it was worth it, but it made me feel better.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely get one on anything used.

My brother just bought a used toy hauler. And the guy told him about some issues that were “professionally” repaired. First trip out the damage showed itself and was much more than the guy had let on and it was definitely not repaired. The whole wood frame is rotted away.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like I’ll be doing an inspection. Question is now do I choose an RVIA inspector or have a dealer somewhere do it....?

wash11

Reaction score
My kids were looking at a pusher for $160000 (when every comp was close to 200k). $1500 for some crazy 8 hour inspection saved them a lot of heartache. In the end they did not purchase. Owner did not disclose that the coach was from back east and was already showing rust issues on the frame along with a roof leak into a wall that even a seasoned eye would have trouble catching.

boatnam2

Reaction score
There is a guy who does youtube videos, mattsrv. He has a general question section and could probably point you in right direction for a inspector.