WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What does the Pontiac Aztek and the brand new C8 Corvette have in common?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Same designer; Tom Peters. Thought that was pretty interesting. He also has designed other years of Corvettes and newer Camaros. I do see similarities for sure in those hard CAD lines.

Have a great Friday!

20210806_065053.jpg
20210806_064951.jpg

Last edited:

jailbird141

Reaction score
My eyes must be worse than I thought. I am having a hard time finding similar lines between the Aztek and Corvette. Probably just my crappy computer screen not being high enough resolution. :(

HCP3

Reaction score
Ferrari should sue over the design, it's a blatant rip off. Just my opinion.

How did they rip off Ferrari? Because it is mid engine like all other modern supercars?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It’s really hard to differentiate design on a mid-engine performance car. They all have similarities to one another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

racektm

Reaction score
My eyes must be worse than I thought. I am having a hard time finding similar lines between the Aztek and Corvette. Probably just my crappy computer screen not being high enough resolution. :(
They're both red, that's where the similarities stop....

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Same designer; Tom Peters. Thought that was pretty interesting. He also has designed other years of Corvettes and newer Camaros. I do see similarities for sure in those hard CAD lines.

Have a great Friday!

View attachment 1034397 View attachment 1034398
Yep, chop the top channel the body and radius the wheel wells and it would be difficult to differentiate the Aztec from the 'vette.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Interesting thing is that the Aztec in 2021 doesn’t look all that different than the onslaught of generic crossovers that flooded the market and killed the passenger car in the last 10 years. Dated fascia and interior components to be sure, even for the time, but as a whole that vehicle was ahead of its time although considered ugly in 2000

The closest thing I’ve seen recently to a Pontiac Aztec is the Barron deck boat 😬

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
They're both red, that's where the similarities stop....

True in just a quick subjective glance. However, the non flowy hard lines suggest the same hand designed both vehicles as well as the new Camaro. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some input on many of the new Cadillacs too. I would never say the Aztek and the C8 look anything alike however there are shared design ques. The character lines on both are similar albeit quite more flowy on the C8.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Ferrari should sue over the design, it's a blatant rip off. Just my opinion.

It's the section 8 version of a supercar...just doesn't do anything for me 🤷‍♂️ I doubt anyone is flocking to buy it vs a Ferrari/lambo...different demographic of buyer.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Looks like old Tom learned something in his tenure at GM.

traquer

Reaction score
It's the section 8 version of a supercar...just doesn't do anything for me 🤷‍♂️ I doubt anyone is flocking to buy it vs a Ferrari/lambo...different demographic of buyer.
Pretty much, at least in the US. Take a Corvette to Europe, Asia or anywhere but North America and you'll be a baller everyone's gonna be racing you lol. Buddy took a 5.0 Mustang to Europe and even that was a hit

attitude

Reaction score
Lol, there's lots of C8 owners that believe they are supercar drivers.😊
I'd like a C1 on modern drivetrain to cruise the coast.👍
Usually a corvette owner would be the first person to tell you it’s not a supercar, it’s the none car people who think a 30-50k corvette is a six figure super car. I’ve had people at work give me snarky remarks about my vette not realizing I paid less for it than their new Camry lol.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Usually a corvette owner would be the first person to tell you it’s not a supercar, it’s the none car people who think a 30-50k corvette is a six figure super car. I’ve had people at work give me snarky remarks about my vette not realizing I paid less for it than their new Camry lol.
Being that the Vette is many guys' unobtainium dream car, there's some truth to that but it usually comes with that jealous "snarky" facial expression too.😎

cold_one

Reaction score
Other than color I don't see a resemblance. I would never guess the same guy designed both cars.

nowski

Reaction score
So the Aztek beat out both the Gremlin and the Pacer for fugliest designs, that's impressive...

motormonkey

Reaction score
Totally looks similar to a 488 in the side profile. They re "imagined" it, but not by much. It's a low digit ferrari. Haha. Everytime I see one I double take and Im not the only one. Don't hate. Maybe after the camaro re launch, square wheel well grill design truck disasters they learned to copy success.

motormonkey

Reaction score
WTF they were thinking with the Aztec after Pontiac had some solid design wins is beyond me.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Count me in for a section 8 supercar. With the money I save vs. the lowest level McLaren, Ferrari, or Lamborghini I can almost afford a 2008 Magic deck. :)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
WTF they were thinking with the Aztec after Pontiac had some solid design wins is beyond me.

Which design wins are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Pretty much, at least in the US. Take a Corvette to Europe, Asia or anywhere but North America and you'll be a baller everyone's gonna be racing you lol. Buddy took a 5.0 Mustang to Europe and even that was a hit

I've heard that from friends who were stationed over there. There has been a long pent up demand for a mid engine car that was "more affordable" for a long time. I kinda feel like it should have been a stand alone model vs a reconfigure of the vette. Only have ridden in one of them and it was pretty impressive, a former client of mine bought a red one..he's got a couple of Ferrari's as well as a stable of classics.

The prices they are commanding is :oops:

Last edited:

kurtis500

Reaction score
YES! the vega!

I grew up with a black vega stationwagon as our DAILY DRIVER except my dad put a 350 vette motor with a crossram 2x4bl with an automatic, 8" rear end and AC! My mom used to race motorcycles on the street with it and burned up a set of rear tires in 5000 miles. They sold it before my sister turned 16, smart move. I raced drag boats for 17 years with blown hemis and BBC and that car is the only thing that ever scared me. An endless stream of cars would pull up along side and ask my mom 'whats in that?".... memories

looked like this but a little better ;)
iu-3.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
The Trans am, ws6, Gto plus the some older model cars were wins.
That WS6 is still one if the best looking muscle cars ever made IMO. Guy at my HS had an all black one lowered on black wheels with a mean cam. Never forget it.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Didn't the Aztek have some sort of plastic body (similar to Saturn's at the time).
I expect this is not too far off all the Vette's since that time.