WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What does this mean to you?

wallnutz

Reaction score
10D41B85-6473-4A13-9176-758FB1661C60.jpeg

I have never lost a family member in the armed forces, but have lost a friend. We have had many friends and family members that have sacrificed a lot to protect our freedoms. They have missed children being born, birthdays, weddings, family get togethers, children growing up. This represents to my family and me a time to reflect those sacrifices, and to be proud to be an American. We will fly our flag that the flew over the White House in honor of my Grandfather who served our country proudly and without asking for recognition for the battles he was in.

In this day and age I think quite a few have forgotten or may have never knew of the sacrifices that were made for their freedoms. Their freedoms to choose who to vote for, their freedoms to work for who they want to, their freedoms to own firearms, their freedoms to choose to protest. Heck the freedom to go and enjoy a long weekend.

So this picture means to me to take the time and remember all the sacrifices made for us.

I hope everyone has an awesome and safe long weekend, and take a minute to remember.

d4l

Reaction score
Im not American, but I have this to say.

I live in a country where the flag for most people has no pride or meaning, a country that have went from a big and proud nation in the history to something that more looks like chaos. Where you are called a racist for celebrating our day of independence, if you are not a refuge, then its okey. We barely have an army, and the few soldiers that are deployed outside our borders are a joke. The bare sound of gunfire is enough for the media to scream for taking em home.

Many of you have heard me say it before.
Im truely greatfull for America as a nation, and what all the brave people deployed around the world have done and are doing to this day. Trying to make this insane world a better place. It makes me sad each time I hear people talk trash about USA as a nation and I will defend it each time.

Therefor I each year celebrate 4th of July, thinking of those out there fighting for our freedom. I wave the flags side by side each day no matter if people frown at me.

The American flag means more to me then my own ever will, becuse behind that flag there is pride.
IMG_4441.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

wallnutz

Reaction score

I live in a country where the flag for most people has no pride or meaning, a country that have went from a big and proud nation in the history to something that more looks like chaos. Where you are called a racist for celebrating our day of independence, if you are not a refuge, then its okey. We barely have an army, and the few soldiers that are deployed outside our borders are a joke. The bare sound of gunfire is enough for the media to scream for taking em home.

Im truely greatfull for America as a nation, and what all the brave people deployed around the world have done and are doing to this day. Trying to make this insane world a better place. It makes me sad each time I hear people talk trash about USA as a nation and I will defend it each time.

Therefor I each year celebrate 4th of July, thinking of those out there fighting for our freedom. I wave the flags side by side each day no matter if people frown at me.

The American flag means more to me then my own ever will, becuse behind that flag there is pride. View attachment 757303

Well said, thank you.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

The American flag means more to me then my own ever will, becuse behind that flag there is pride. View attachment 757303

Excellent...salute.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 757247
I have never lost a family member in the armed forces, but have lost a friend. We have had many friends and family members that have sacrificed a lot to protect our freedoms. They have missed children being born, birthdays, weddings, family get togethers, children growing up. This represents to my family and me a time to reflect those sacrifices, and to be proud to be an American. We will fly our flag that the flew over the White House in honor of my Grandfather who served our country proudly and without asking for recognition for the battles he was in.

In this day and age I think quite a few have forgotten or may have never knew of the sacrifices that were made for their freedoms. Their freedoms to choose who to vote for, their freedoms to work for who they want to, their freedoms to own firearms, their freedoms to choose to protest. Heck the freedom to go and enjoy a long weekend.

So this picture means to me to take the time and remember all the sacrifices made for us.

I hope everyone has an awesome and safe long weekend, and take a minute to remember.
I believe too many people take their freedoms for granted. Some only think of the lives lost, or the blood shed. The truth is, there are the other things you mentioned. For each soldier, there is a family, be it parents, siblings, children or spouses...all are effected. Some with the loss, and others dealing with someone who came home different, be it physically or mentally. Friends, as well as family, deal with these issues too. Those lost should be remembered, but those effected should not be forgotten either. The flag is flown not just for it's people, but because of it's people.

...and damnit, we need to import d4l, and only allow people like him in!

ramos45

Reaction score
It means to me:

Confidence: About an hour into our night convoy, in the complete dark without a moon in the sky, I hear on the CAS frequency Dealer 72 and 73. These were a pair of AV8 Harrier Jumpjets providing close air support over our area of operation. I'll paraphrase:
Dealer 73: Hollywood 1, Dealer 73
Me: Go for Hollywood 1
Dealer 73: Hollywood 1, Dealer 73 and 72.....pair of AV8's at 9 and 12 thousand feet, will be on station for 120 mikes (minutes) we each have 300 25MM HE rounds and 4 hellfire ready and able

About 20 minutes later 73 transmits that we are coming up on an object about 100 meters off the right side of the road. he says he'll mark it so we all put on our NVG's and sure enough from 9k feet in the sky he is strobing this abandoned vehicle on the side of the road with this beam of light, i mean it was like a finger from god himself reaching down. this is one of many interactions with our CAS that reaffirmed just how bad ass we are when united under that beautiful banner

I know my story isn't as memerable as those who fallen before us or are out there now fighting the fight but when I see that flag or hear our anthem it just takes me back to those days when as naive and cliche as it may sound I felt like a superhero on someone else's soil not because of my abilities but because of my brothers' and knowing what they would've done to make sure I got home and vice versa.

Last edited:

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
It means to me:

Confidence: About an hour into our night convoy, in the complete dark without a moon in the sky, I hear on the CAS frequency Dealer 72 and 73. These were a pair of AV8 Harrier Jumpjets providing close air support over our area of operation. I'll paraphrase:
Dealer 73: Hollywood 1, Dealer 73 and 72.....pair of AV8's at 9 and 12 thousand feet, will be on station for 120 mikes (minutes) we each have 300 25MM HE rounds and 4 hellfire ready and able

About 20 minutes later 73 transmits that we are coming up on an object about 100 meters off the right side of the road. he says he'll mark it so we all put on our NVG's and sure enough from 9k feet in the sky he is strobing this abandoned vehicle on the side of the road with this beam of light, i mean it was like a finger from god himself reaching down. this is one of many interactions with our CAS that reaffirmed just how bad ass we are when united under that beautiful banner

I know my story isn't as memerable as those who fallen before us or are out there now fighting the fight but when I see that flag or hear our anthem it just takes me back to those days when as naive and cliche as it may sound I felt like a superhero on someone else's soil not because of my abilities but because of my brothers' and knowing what they would've done to make sure I got home and vice versa.

Thank you for your service and may god bless you and your family.

wallnutz

Reaction score
It means to me:

Thanks for your service, I know it is deeply appreciated by many.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
20440114_1396473312.jpg
20440114_118445852359.jpg
20440144_118446084569.jpg

Two great uncles KIA in WW2. I knew my Great Grandma very well, she lived past her 90s, my grandpa also served during WW2 but after he had two brothers KIA they sent him home.

My great grandpas brother KIA a week after he survived the battle of the Bulge.

Came from big families in small town Oklahoma, most of my grandparents sibiligs fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

My dad was drafted in 1968 and served in Vietnam at Bien Hoa and did his tour, sister served as did her husband.

Cousins served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nephew recently back from Afghanistan to finish up Ranger school.

This is what I think about during this weekend, it is what it is, but I choose to honor those that have served, those that are serving and the ones that sacrificed the most.

I was signed up to join the Army and join after my HS graduation, I blew out my knee and they wouldnt let me join, still bothers me today that I wasnt able to serve my country.

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not the first time I’ve posted this.
I was friends with Tom, Tyson’s brother mid to late 70’s. I was like 12. We didn’t go in their house too often but did see the flag display on the mantle. Wasn’t talked about much.

AD8C1E8A-3385-452B-AE2C-6F90E8F795EF.png
94EFBB02-72A4-4BB4-8544-7C500D27B90F.png

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Memorial Day definately means something different to my family than most. My brother was a Blackhawk pilot who lost his life in Afghanistan on a night mission. One of the last conversations we had was he was "doing good things to bad people" he definately died doing what he loved and had the opportunity to fly some really good people around handleing business.
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This is my best picture I ever took in my life. It is looking through the skylight at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
I took the picture with my digital video camera still shot button.
There was nothing noticeable in the image until I downloaded it.
That’s when the orange “Sun Angel” appeared on the left side of the image.
I know it’s the sun, the lens, and all the other things that cause refraction in an image....BUT, to me, it IS also an angel. It can be both, and I fully believe it to be exactly that. Hallowed ground.
The angel is inside the room, not in the roof opening where you would normally expect a lens reflection.

2A605E42-14A0-44F8-B3F4-F77241AFF4BC.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This is my best picture I ever took in my life. It is looking through the skylight at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
I know it’s the sun, the lens, and all the other things that cause refraction in an image....BUT, to me, it IS also an angel. It can be both, and I fully believe it to be exactly that. Hallowed ground.
The angel is inside the room, not in the roof opening where you would normally expect a lens reflection.

View attachment 757455
Hallowed ground...the two places I have visited in my life that I've felt that way... the Arizona Memorial, as you, and standing on the battlefields at Gettysburg. If you've never felt it, it's hard to understand.

SoCalDave

Reaction score

View attachment 757455
Great picture and story to go with it.
In 2004 we visited the same memorial and as the host was explaining to everyone that the oil drops that continue to surface from the Arizona were the tears of the soldiers my daughter snapped this photo (film camera). We didn't see it until we returned to the mainland and she had the film developed...needless to say that day was the highlight of our vacation.

Tears of the Soldiers.jpg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Hallowed ground...the two places I have visited in my life that I've felt that way... the Arizona Memorial, as you, and standing on the battlefields at Gettysburg. If you've never felt it, it's hard to understand.
The Alamo does it to me.....I feel the spirits every time

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
This one was not in the US, but to me as a lover of man's best friends, always brings a tear.....

A LOYAL dog who refused to leave his master’s grave for a decade has died at the spot where the man is buried.

Capitan, a 15-year-old German Shepherd, who lived at the side of his owner’s resting place for 10 years, has died at his owner’s grave in the Municipal Cemetery of Villa Carlos Paz, a city in the Argentinian state of Cordoba.

CENTRAL EUROPEAN NEWS
Capitan stayed loyal and sat at his master's graveside for 10 years
Capitan’s owner, Miguel Guzman, died in 2006 and the dog went missing from the family home some months later.

Guzman’s family thought Capitan had run away, but were shocked to find the dog by its owner’s graveside months later.

No one is sure how Capitan found the cemetery where his owner was buried.

Hector Baccega, director of the the cemetery, had told local media at the time: “He turned up here one day, all on his own, and started wandering all around the cemetery until he eventually found the tomb of his master.

CENTRAL EUROPEAN NEWS
Capitan remained at the graveside for a decade
“During the day he sometimes has a walk around the cemetery, but always rushes back to the grave.

“And every day, at six o’clock sharp, he lies down on top of the grave and stays there all night.”

Capitan lived in the cemetery for ten more years, and became something of a global sensation picking up coverage around the world.

But he was taken to the vet four years ago and diagnosed with kidney failure.

The vet who treated the dog, Cristhian Sempels, told reporters: "Unfortunately, his age and this condition (kidney failure) meant he could not hold on.

"We could have admitted him to the vet, but only so that he could die in the veterinary surgery, so we preferred to leave him and attend to him in the cemetery, where he lived and felt calm."

CENTRAL EUROPEAN NEWS
No one knows how Capitan found his way to his master's graveside
Mr Guzman bought Capitan as a present for his 13-year-old son Damian in 2005 but died suddenly in March the next year.

When his family returned from the funeral Capitan was gone.

It is still unclear where the dog is going to be buried.

The latest reports say that local authorities suggested the German shepherd should be cremated and then its ashes would be placed beneath a monument where locals could pay their tribute.

wallnutz

Reaction score
D64893FC-1E66-4212-99BD-296748AC2D9F.jpeg
upload_2019-5-25_10-58-17.jpeg
upload_2019-5-25_10-59-31.jpeg
upload_2019-5-25_10-59-4.jpeg

upload_2019-5-25_10-59-55.jpeg

Pictures and stories like theses why I started this thread, we should all be thankful for the sacrifices these great Americans have made for us.
Our freedoms should not be taken for granted. God Bless America!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

The Alamo does it to me.....I feel the spirits every time

When at the USS Arizona Memorial, I tried to walk into the small room that houses the names of all the sailors that died. At the entrance to that room it was like I walked into a wall.
If you’ve been there you know that there is no door or anything.
I could not enter it, it was a very strong feeling of “unworthy” for lack of a better word.
I held Debs arm and stopped her as well. It was like “No, we shouldn’t go in there.”

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
To me it means someone is thanking or at least remembering that people have fought and died so they can live in a free country. That that someone is grateful they live here. That they respect the families that have lost someone in those fights.

It means respect for the fallen.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
I wish more immigrants to this Great Country had as much passion for the flag as Marcus Lemonis...

Recent lawsuit filed by Statesville North Carolina:
"This is about more than just the flag. This is about our Veterans, Military, and the men and women that have sacrificed for this great country," Camping World posted to Facebook on May 18. "They are the reason we fly the flag and they are the reason we will NOT take it down!"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900072330/north-carolina-us-american-flag-camping-world.html