WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
E40FC9F2-C4B8-4C64-AB55-5E905992600A.jpeg
Toyota Yaris IA

Got mine for $16,250 out the door, it is a 6 speed manual.

It has everything standard - cruise control, full Bluetooth for phone and music, navigation, power everything.

Easy 35 MPG, gets closer to 38 if you drive the speed limit.

I’ve been really happy with it for a commuter car.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yaris.

Kias are cheap but they’re garbage.

The Yaris will run for a good long time if you care of it

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Volt - $7500 tax credit is a nice plus

78Southwind

Reaction score
Volt - $7500 tax credit is a nice plus
It's only $3,750 now since they hit 200,000 in electric car sales. Chevy, I like the Chevy Cruze with a diesel. Not cheap but I have friends getting around 50 MPG on their trips to the river. But I would probably get an all electric car if only doing city driving or a used Volt.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Another vote for Toyota.

I’m sold on them! Why you ask? I bought a Yaris 11 years ago as what I thought at the time would be a disposable car in 3 to 4 years as I was commuting 40K miles per year at that time. I don’t drive that many miles these days but I’m still rolling the Yaris with 225K miles. The paint is oxidized and the seat cushions are worn but it doesn’t burn oil and still gets 35 mpg. Hell it hasn’t even been to mechanic in 9 years since it had a warranty issue. I use to say I was going to drive it till it dies, but at this rate it might outlive me, lol :eek:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Toyota Corolla. Is what I will likely buy next. But my 2008 Ford Fusion still runs great at 226,000 miles.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
CPO 3 year old Prius for 15k. Never do brakes the entire life of the car. Easy on tires. Drive the wheels off at a GENUINE 50mpg, while enjoying way more head room and leg room than a sub-compact Civic, Corolla, Yaris, etc. Then when you go to sell it in 3 years, you still get good resale despite mileage. There's a reason every Taxi and courier service is a Prius

cpdad93

Reaction score
Bought my daughter a kia Forte, new in 2016. Has been an excellent car.

cpdad93

Reaction score
It's only $3,750 now since they hit 200,000 in electric car sales. Chevy, I like the Chevy Cruze with a diesel. Not cheap but I have friends getting around 50 MPG on their trips to the river. But I would probably get an all electric car if only doing city driving or a used Volt.
don't forget the $1000 Illinois registration surcharge for road maintenance, soon to be followed by all blue states.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
A late 90's saturn for 1K$. You could drive it for a year and light it on fire and still be ahead.
I have a 2001 I got for free a year ago with 254k on it. It now has 265k on it and runs like a champ. Oh yea I get 30 mpg

2Driver

Reaction score
Id buy a 1 or 2 year old Civic or Corolla with low miles, use it and flip it. Be careful they are popular for the guys who buy and flip salvage. Do a car fax if used

Bought a used 1 year old Corolla when the kid went to charter middle school in Scottsdale. Put the miles on it and sold it for almost the same price, phone rang off the hook the minute it hit Craigslist Part of the whole cost thing is dependability, MPG and resale.

CobraDave

Reaction score
My wife bought a two year old Nissan Altima for around 13k. Full size car and rides really nice. It will get around 36 miles mpg. We like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I have a Prius, it's a tin can, but I'm almost at 100k miles and I have done nothing but tires and oil. It literally pays for itself, but is not fun to drive at all.

4czn10

Reaction score
CPO 3 year old Prius for 15k. Never do brakes the entire life of the car. Easy on tires. Drive the wheels off at a GENUINE 50mpg, while enjoying way more head room and leg room than a sub-compact Civic, Corolla, Yaris, etc. Then when you go to sell it in 3 years, you still get good resale despite mileage. There's a reason every Taxi and courier service is a Prius
Bigbore is spot on...i'e mentioned this in other posts, but have had 2 Prius's (or Prei?), sold one at 235k only because moved across country, still have the other one at 272k. Battery did go at 265k, but i paid 1200 to replace with 6 yr. warranty. even with that it is and will be the cheapest car i've ever owned. Oil, tires(80k), brakes at 250k, and i still get 51mpg. fits 4 adults easy! Chick magnet...no!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The late gen mazda 3's have a real auto transmission vs a cvt and are chain vs belt driven cam.

CVT's suck on small engines, belts suck up money between 60-100K.

Brand new my kid got the middle package for 20K - damm good value.

Gets 42 MPG on the highway at 5 over.

UD

Last edited:

cheezpanel

Reaction score
Another vote for Toyota.

I’m sold on them! Why you ask? I bought a Yaris 11 years ago as what I thought at the time would be a disposable car in 3 to 4 years as I was commuting 40K miles per year at that time. I don’t drive that many miles these days but I’m still rolling the Yaris with 225K miles. The paint is oxidized and the seat cushions are worn but it doesn’t burn oil and still gets 35 mpg. Hell it hasn’t even been to mechanic in 9 years since it had a warranty issue. I use to say I was going to drive it till it dies, but at this rate it might outlive me, lol :eek:

Me too. Bought my daughter one NEW in 07. She beat the shit out of it. Dents everywhere. Front clip is ziptied on after a minor accident. One time she called me years back..."dad, my car just DIED." No way I thought. She told me she had just refueled and about 10 min later pretty much died. I asked her what kind of gas? Was the handle GREEN? "I dunno." Did the nozzle FIT into the hole? "I think." Had it towed to my mechanic. Sure enough, she somehow put diesel in it. Drained it, cleaned out the system...good as new. It's mine now. It's got over 200K on it...and of course when I drive it I'm discriminated against by others on the road who probly laugh and always tailgate etc...but that sucker keeps on going.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The late gen mazda 3's have a real auto transmission vs a cvt and are chain vs belt driven cam.

Brand new My get got the middle package for 20K - damm good value.

UD

Mazda 3s are great.

The only reason I bought my Yaris IA is because it is a rebadged Mazda 2. Car is super fun to drive.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
View attachment 753625 Toyota Yaris IA

Got mine for $16,250 out the door, it is a 6 speed manual.

It has everything standard - cruise control, full Bluetooth for phone and music, navigation, power everything.

Easy 35 MPG, gets closer to 38 if you drive the speed limit.

I’ve been really happy with it for a commuter car.

Kind of liking this idea. I plan on checking out a few cars and this will be one.

Entry price seems very reasonable

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

I understand but a man has to know his limits.....lol This is probably the most practical but also last on my list. The stench and stigma.....haha

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

Brand new my kid got the middle package for 20K - damm good value.

UD

I remember back in the day I had a Mazda truck and loved that damn thing. Ended up buying the first 929 in OC and it came with this fancy thing called a CD player :). That 929 was too heavy for the brakes it had and that was the only issue. That sucker could fly to 100 without even realizing it. I have always loved the Mazdas over the years as they treated me well. I don't know what the price is for a stripped down one but I suspect it will be on the high end comparatively speaking.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Kind of liking this idea. I plan on checking out a few cars and this will be one.

Entry price seems very reasonable

When I got mine there was a $2000 off rebate from Toyota. I negotiated another ~$500 off or so beyond that.

If you like it but it is not big enough, go look at Mazda 3s. They are nearly identical and get about the same fuel mileage.

RodnJen

Reaction score
We rented Mazda 3 while the wife’s car was being serviced. We both really enjoyed it. There was even enough room in the back seat for others.

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Toyota Tom, those slant eyes make a good ride.

Picked my wife up a lightly used low mile Corolla so she wouldn't have to use her nicer car for work and we drive the shit out of that thing, best money I ever spent.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Toyota Tom, those slant eyes make a good ride.

Picked my wife up a lightly used low mile Corolla so she wouldn't have to use her nicer car for work and we drive the shit out of that thing, best money I ever spent.

LOL

I hear ya......Going to be putting a lot of miles on.

oldschool

Reaction score
Its not really an economy car, but looking to buy a Lincoln MKZ hybrid in the near future.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I just cant stomach driving a Prius! No matter how good the MPG is. I dont even like looking at them on the road.!

I need a Volt or something. Too much mileage is killing me.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I've got a 2010 KIA Forte. 265,000 miles as of yesterday. Lots of stops, starts, and tons of river trips. Still getting 35-38 MPG, no issues. I've put 3 sets of brakes on it. In every 5000 miles for oil changes and scheduled services. I'm shooting to see if I can get 400K on it. If not, its been a great little car and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

spectras only

Reaction score
Tom, get a Mazda. Told a colleague 10 yrs ago to get the Mazda 3, he still got it with high miles on it, purring like a kitten. We have a 1990 Miata with a 1.8L in it for track duty with over 100k miles on it. No smoke, good compression. Mazda engines are well designed for longevity.
Our little rocket here, coming up @ 30 sec

BONER

Reaction score
I'm driving a 2017 Nissan Altima SR for work. Whatta Shitbox. At 67k the interior is starting to make noise, Bluetooth and Keyless Entry act quirky, suspension is getting noisy, etc.

I think I'm going back to an Impala. Had a 2013. Probably my favorite car at this point. Can pick em up for $16-17k with less than 30k on the clock, they make 305hp, hard hitting 6 SPD, great stereo, A/C that will knock you in the back seat, all the Technology etc.

Reaction score
LOL

I hear ya......Going to be putting a lot of miles on.

You'll end up driving it everywhere and will hardly use that nice truck anymore. We'll be taking our Corolla to Newport for our annual trip at the end of the month and leaving the nice ride back home in the garage.

Mazda's are great also. Check out a few and get what you like best but I'm sure that was your plan anyways. :)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tom, get a Mazda. Told a colleague 10 yrs ago to get the Mazda 3, he still got it with high miles on it, purring like a kitten. We have a 1990 Miata with a 1.8L in it for track duty with over 100k miles on it. No smoke, good compression. Mazda engines are well designed for longevity.
You recommended the 6 to us as well.
The suspension is amazing. We liked it so much we bought one of the kids a 3 while we were at it.
A renown Land Rover mechanic friend borrowed it one day to pick up his wife. They loved it so much they bought one that evening sold their year old Camry.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Brand new....basics with air is all that is needed. Two seater is fine. A stick would be OK but auto would be nice.

Main thing is to get good gas mileage and be reliable. That is the main concern. It will get lots of miles running around town. Lots of stops/starts, etc.

Few years from now probably get passed on to a grandson

Here is where I read up a little bit:
https://20somethingfinance.com/cheapest-new-cars/

So......Lets hear what your opinion is.

Keep the jokes somewhere else peeps....please

Thanks

My Mazda 3 Hatchback has been an awesome little get around town car and cross country too. Perfect for me and my dog. Raced it in SCCA and placed 17th out of 75 cars last summer. Bone stock and smoked a lot of faster cars based on time not just handicap. Been a great snow, rally car too with studded tires in the winter time. 130Kmiles and no problems except excessive tire wear. I have been through 4 sets of Yokohama AD08s 8 ) and 4 sets of studded Blizztek snow tires.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

Thats how I plan on driving it.....lol

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
DO most corollas still come with drum rear brakes?

gqchris

Reaction score
Im actually looking at getting one of the Clown Car Fiats plug in. But buying one off lease for like 9k. @pronstar what are your thoughts on that? Any negatives?