WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What happened to Boaters helping Boaters

PaPaG

Reaction score
We took the skis down from needles to Topoc and back on Monday, while we made the turn at the train tracks and coming back up we see 5-6 boats slowly heading up through the no wake zone so we let them go ahead of us so we can enjoy the ride, just up the river I see this boat floating down river on the AZ side almost hitting the rocks with its hatch up, we were not sure if someone was just to close and floating but after I get by them I see this guy frantically swimming in the water trying to push the boat away from the rocks and hanging onto the boat, we slowed down and I told the wife I have to go back just in case, get there and the guy was broke down, I asked if he had a tow rope and we hooked it up and took a few minute ride across the river to one of the Moabi beaches, got him to shore, stayed there just in case he needed a ride as the boat kept blowing fuses and cutting out, they had launched out of Jack Smiths and they thought they would be in big trouble smashing into the rocks when he tired out or stuck on the water overnight since 5-6 boats went by and no one stopped. I told him I could tow the boat into the ramp at moabi then ride him up to get his truck, he was in a bit if disbelief I would offer that with a watercraft. Anyway after a few mind boggling process of elimination tests we figured out it was a short in a relay causing the short so he bypassed it, got it going and we followed him and his girl up to Jack smiths, he offered money and of course I said no way you are crazy Boaters helping Boaters.....his girl told us he was always helping other boaters with tows, repairs, break downs and we were all AMAZED THAT 5-6 BOATS slowly went by him and NO ONE OFFERED TO HELP!, I hope this is not the trend especially when all someone would have to do is pull him to shore for safety and maybe have given him a ride if it was not fixable....I asked him if he was on RD's and he said no I said you should join, bunch of great boaters on there and I can bet anyone of them would have stopped to help...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Good on you for helping. I have been the guy hitting those rocks across from Moabi with a broken boat, scared wife and kids.

I don't know when the attitude changed for some boaters. It amazes me how many don't have a rope to tow with, or water to drink. I've given water to people that were going to meet up with friends and such, wasn't far, so didn't pack :oops:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I would always stop if I saw a hatch up on a boat.
One time we were just coming out of the no wake zone north end of the gorge and this 27' Hallett had it's hatch up with two guys looking into it. We stopped and I asked them if everything was okay and one of the gals replied that it died when they tried to plane and now wouldn't start. One of the guys popped his head up and asked if I had any engine oil which I did have a qt. Gave it to them and they said they would be okay from there and that we could take off.

Then there was the time we were headed back up river to Laughlin from Pirate Cove about 7pm and there was this guy floating down river just below Rotary Park. Couldn't really see him as he was dark hair/skin in the deeper part of the river and sun going down. We stopped and asked him if he was okay and he replied he had fallen off a wave-runner he was on with his cousin and that he had been in the water for about 30 min and no one would stop to help. When I asked him to get in the boat he couldn't because he was paralyzed from the waist down from a gun shot wound...he was an ex gang member. We helped him in the boat and took him back to Rotary Park where his family was. He thanked us and was really surprised that no one else would stop. There were a lot of boats in that area at that time and I'm surprised he didn't get chopped up.

4Waters

Reaction score
I've been broke down and just had people going by without a care in the world. One day last summer I ended up helping 3 boaters in one day, all 3 pulled their boats out of years mothballs and went straight to the lake, all of them were overheating, I wonder why?🤔🤣

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
yeah. its good that there are good conscientious boaters still out there. our best story was swamping the MODVP on our trip back to port (at Temple Bar) on Lake Mead during a windstorm. rescued by one of those 45 ft Grand canyon service/supply pontoons that launch out of meadview/South cove.
We helped out a family once at the lake. A much larger boat, loaded, heading home. Out of fuel. That is how my ski pole got bent.

Last edited:

WYRD

Reaction score
One-time headed back 2 Cattail Cove I spotted a boat broke down on the California side just passed Copper Canyon deep in the reeds. Had a couple of my buddies with me on that trip. Boat was three good looking girls & two dudes mid to late twenties. Driver of the boat was hooked up for a d u c e and the others had no idea how to drive the boat. Being a good samaritan through my tow line and told him due to the weight the girls would need to get on the my boat and the guys needed to stay on theirs to "steer" 🤣 . Tossed them a few cold brews & Cruised the whole way down hanging with their girls dancing, listening to tunes. They were appreciative:cool:.
boaters helping even non-boaters👍

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I’d bet a lot of newer boaters won’t be accustomed to that ideology until they’re on the receiving end. It’s def a humbling experience to be standing on your bow trying to flag someone down. It’s all about the good karma!

I had two new boaters with me this last trip out and feel like they def learned that it’s a community out here on the water. Pulled up next to a young kid and his date on the ramp, he was bummed and she wasn’t having it. Was his first Boat that wouldn’t start and he knew it was the battery so I tossed him my NOCO and went about splashing my boat. Told him to come find me at the buoy line when he gets situated. He did and we sporadically saw him throughout the day cruising around. My new boaters kept commenting how the offer to help was prob crucial to him getting laid that day 😂

Ideally everybody witness to all these stories we’re talking about continue to pay it forward and pass it on. Random acts of kindness baby

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i always help on the water and have been helped. its the way my old man taught me since i was little. leave no one stranded, the only thing i have ever accepted was a beer. i think alot of it comes down to this new mentality of ME ME ME. its sad and i dont like it.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
You never know who you’re going to help.
At Lake Mojave right at the beach outside Katherine’s Landing, a family of 5, 4 adults and a maybe 6-7 year old, are waving. Their sea-doo broke down and asked if I could tow. Said they had been trying to get a tow for over an hour. I squeeze them in my little jet and tow their ski in. No big deal.
So my buddy and I go to check in at the Riverside. There at the reception desk is the lady that we towed in. Got upgraded to a nice river view room.
On the other end of the rope, I got towed in at Elsinore by a guy with a little sailboat with a trolling motor. I got passed by quite a few boats before this guy offered a tow.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I have been on both sides of this coin. Prior to selling my boat, I once towed a broke down wake crusher on a Sunday evening from the Sandbar to Windsor and we both got stuck coming out of the mouth of the river into the lake. Talk about scary shit seeing a tow boat headed right for the back of your boat. 😱. Luckily the boat got stuck as well, and after a long pregnant pause, both boats busted up laughing. My wife was pissed but I told her we had to get our speed up in our V-drive to get through. As soon as we both deboarded our boats, we floated them across the sandbar and continued. My line was good, just weight to speed ratio was off. Hindsight being 2020 probably should have floated them the first time. Not sure if anyone else ever towed through the sandbar on a Sunday evening, but it sucks. Things you do to help a fellow boater.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I think it is the influx of new boaters. We were out last weekend on the lower river and the number of people doing stupid stuff on the sandbar was amazing... Laying out tarps to sit on the ground, pulling v-drive towboats WAY up on the sand clearly sitting on the prop, churning up to the sandbar in an IO shooting a mud rooster tail... It'll definitely be a year to get on the water early, watch the show and come back in after all the jack wagons.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We took the skis down from needles to Topoc and back on Monday, while we made the turn at the train tracks and coming back up we see 5-6 boats slowly heading up through the no wake zone so we let them go ahead of us so we can enjoy the ride, just up the river I see this boat floating down river on the AZ side almost hitting the rocks with its hatch up, we were not sure if someone was just to close and floating but after I get by them I see this guy frantically swimming in the water trying to push the boat away from the rocks and hanging onto the boat, we slowed down and I told the wife I have to go back just in case, get there and the guy was broke down, I asked if he had a tow rope and we hooked it up and took a few minute ride across the river to one of the Moabi beaches, got him to shore, stayed there just in case he needed a ride as the boat kept blowing fuses and cutting out, they had launched out of Jack Smiths and they thought they would be in big trouble smashing into the rocks when he tired out or stuck on the water overnight since 5-6 boats went by and no one stopped. I told him I could tow the boat into the ramp at moabi then ride him up to get his truck, he was in a bit if disbelief I would offer that with a watercraft. Anyway after a few mind boggling process of elimination tests we figured out it was a short in a relay causing the short so he bypassed it, got it going and we followed him and his girl up to Jack smiths, he offered money and of course I said no way you are crazy Boaters helping Boaters.....his girl told us he was always helping other boaters with tows, repairs, break downs and we were all AMAZED THAT 5-6 BOATS slowly went by him and NO ONE OFFERED TO HELP!, I hope this is not the trend especially when all someone would have to do is pull him to shore for safety and maybe have given him a ride if it was not fixable....I asked him if he was on RD's and he said no I said you should join, bunch of great boaters on there and I can bet anyone of them would have stopped to help...

I am making a new shirt that says

“Don’t be a boathole”

I can’t believe people jist drive on by..

Sharpy

Reaction score
Here’s the way I see it, the mentality has changed in boating because new boaters aren’t educated on good karma. We on RDP are mostly 2+ generational boaters. As most of us grew up around boats we saw what our dads did to help others and absorbed that helping manner. We understand the frustration of a breakdown and let’s face it, unless your DILLIGAF on a Damn Run, it ruins your day! New boaters don’t understand that philosophy until they break, in a sense it’s not their fault.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Every time I've gone boating with RD we've helped someone.
Usually towing back to the dock.
Come to think of it,, off roading too - back to camp.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Well done 👍

Icky

Reaction score
...I asked him if he was on RD's and he said no I said you should join, bunch of great boaters on there and I can bet anyone of them would have stopped to help...

I'm pretty sure there is at least one that stated he wouldn't stop for someone broken down 😁

Glad there's still people out there willing to help others

oldschool

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is at least one that stated he wouldn't stop for someone broken down 😁

Glad there's still people out there willing to help others
Ya, guy didn’t want to ruin his time on the water by helping someone else. Something about”If you’re not smart enough to have Sea Tow then that’s your problem”.
If I see someone that may need help, I will stop to at least offer assistance. It’s just the right thing to do, IMHO, but I’m oldschool.

oldschool

Reaction score
Good on you!

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I believe in Karma so I always stop to help. Monday morning there was a guy stuck on the shallows heading north to Topock from Havasu. V drive Malibu ski boat just him a couple chicks. I stopped pulled him off the sand and headed to the channel. It took all of 5 minutes of my time.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I always stop or at least acknowledge them and won't keep going until I get a thumbs up back. I didn't have any tow hooks on the back of my old jet boat, so it was tough to help until I figured out I could just tie the tow rope around the tunnel ram.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've said for the last few years and it's sad

"There's 10x as many boats out as there used to be, and you have about a 10% chance of someone stopping for help."

I gave someone a jump last year in the middle of a crowded area, have to pay it forward.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Get yore damm tow bote membership!!! 🤣🤣 Just fn around.. we always keep a look out for stranded peeps on the water. True believer in that karma thing😉

I stop all the time and check... buuuutttt let's address the other side:

An annual tow bote membership is less than fuel driving to and from the river once.

We had a family friend who was a long time boater (Big horsepower motor) and never had it. He called our Magic with a 496HO the tow bote because we towed him once almost every season. Well about 10 years ago, my dad bought him a tow bote membership for Christmas. He's renewed every year and used it almost every year.

I'm not saying don't help out but when does hours out of your day override someone who should probably just pay the $400 for the non-member tow bote fee?

I've towed a boat full of dudes 3+ hours when I had 10 people on a trip with me. I'm just saying somebody's lack of planning or cheapness takes away from your trip.

Just something to think about.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
There's still plenty of good boaters like yourself out there. I get fidgety on the boat and always want to tinker with stuff that I can't tend to while the boat is in storage. That said, I've learned I can't tinker with things under the hatch because I get a stream of boaters offering aid. Pretty cool, but makes it hard to tinker.

sintax

Reaction score
How is this even possible??? I heard people on jet ski's were dicks!

haha they are!

One did tow me in last season after I had my MSD box crap out on me. Not one of my finer moments, but he was right there and offered. People really SHOULD at least stop and see though. Its the right thing to do.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I always stop or at least acknowledge them and won't keep going until I get a thumbs up back. I didn't have any tow hooks on the back of my old jet boat, so it was tough to help until I figured out I could just tie the tow rope around the tunnel ram.
That's pretty much what I'll do, give them a up or down signal and wait til they respond with one or the other.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Good on you for helping them out. I can’t believe that many boats past him by and didn’t help. I definitely think it’s the newer boaters. Anytime we see a boat that looks stranded or the hatch up, we stop to make sure they are ok and need help. Many years back, my dad took a wife and kids back to the launch ramp so they can wait in their truck in the ac while vessel assist was on their way since it was a very hot day. It never hurts to stop and ask.

I noticed the attitudes changing once people stopped waving back and staring at you like something is wrong with you. Very few people wave back as you pass anymore.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I know I would help if possible, lord knows I owe it to the "boating gods" for folks helping me. Karma, pay back and its "the right thing to do" is how to try and live life. Good for you PaPaG for lending a hand (or tow to be exact) You neve know when the favor may be returned.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Thank you for helping I always stop if I see a hatch up and ask. Most of the time I get a thumbs up so I move along but boy do I get fired up when people give me attitude or bad looks.

If someone stops to check on you it's not an insult in my opinion.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
After having been left on the rocks right next to “people” that flat ignored me I have become prejudiced. If you look like a heloc boater probably not going to do much unless you’re in imminent danger or kids on the boat.
Buckskin dock in a GN type boat and guy in a new tournament boat asks for a tow to somewhere below Riverland at dusk. Uh no. You’re on the dock. Said I’d give him a ride and he can bring his trailer back. He didn’t want to do that. Wait, what? So I figured out his problem while we were talking and got him running but, Fuck you.
Now if you look OG I’ll help but... I know I’m an ass.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'll do, give them a up or down signal and wait til they respond with one or the other.

Exactly doesn’t take anytime out of your day. Most of the time they only need a jump or drive oil to get going again. I once towed a jet boat at dusk from Sand Bar back to Windsor and was actually able to get him up on plane and back before dark. It was an uncrowded Sunday and he had no running lights so I did what I had to do to get him back before getting tagged by an unobserving boater/Jetski. Glad to read so many OG’s still out on the water these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
One year in Copper Canyon, they were filming an episode of Cops. It was going off pretty good. There was some guy in there messing with his shift linkage, I figured the police would eventually get to him and I went about my day. After dinner at the Springs, I was headed back to the ramp and came across the same guy just outside of Copper Canyon still fucking with his boat. I stopped and asked if I could help. He told me the boat would only go in reverse and he was headed back to Jack Smith. It was getting dark, there was no way he was going to make it that far going in reverse and not hurt himself or someone else. I hopped in his boat and was able to disconnect the frozen cable and show him how to put it in and out of gear. I wished him the best of luck, don't know how it turned out. I couldn't believe the police never approached the guy. I guess it was all about tits and drunken college kids that day.

RichL

Reaction score
Been on both ends of the tow rope as well. I keep 2 different sized tow ropes on board now. Each has a dedicated bridle so we can tie off to the back of the boat without putting undue strain on the cleats.

hallett21

Reaction score
We always stop and I will gladly tow you to a beach or an area to get cell reception to call Boat US etc. More than welcome to the tools I carry on board.

And I’m sure I’m an asshole but I am not towing you from Topock to Windsor unless we’re boating together, or it’s a life or death emergency in which case I’m hauling you to where 911 tells me. Can’t tell you how many people just expect us to spend 4 hours hauling them home.

$194 to renew Boat US Unlimited Gold towing and unlimited trailer. They should have billboards at every ramp.

Parker is a little different since I know there’s no towing down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveH

Reaction score
i kinda have mixed feeling on this.

sure I've towed plenty of boats in. given dive gear and a knife to roll bar boats that wound a rope around their shaft. on and on.

but all this talk of "karma" the trouble i see here is too many idiots in floating piles of junk that have no business even being on the water. Karma was earned the instant they put it on the water...and I'm not talking the good kind of karma.

furthermore.....all the rude pricks at the docks......the madness trying to get the boat out of the water 5 minutes quicker then anyone else.....the drunktards....is it really any surprise nobody wants to help anyone out anymore?

i could probably to a boat in EVERY time a boated at mead (not much anymore) and the question HAS to be asked....maybe people need to get stranded to learn a life lesson about going out in questionable boats....you know the guy...the one jump-starting his boat on the ramp that has no business taking that thing out that is going to end up needing a tow later. my sympathy bucket is pretty shallow anymore.

oldschool

Reaction score
I stop all the time and check... buuuutttt let's address the other side:

An annual tow bote membership is less than fuel driving to and from the river once.

We had a family friend who was a long time boater (Big horsepower motor) and never had it. He called our Magic with a 496HO the tow bote because we towed him once almost every season. Well about 10 years ago, my dad bought him a tow bote membership for Christmas. He's renewed every year and used it almost every year.

I'm not saying don't help out but when does hours out of your day override someone who should probably just pay the $400 for the non-member tow bote fee?

I've towed a boat full of dudes 3+ hours when I had 10 people on a trip with me. I'm just saying somebody's lack of planning or cheapness takes away from your trip.

Just something to think about.
For Havasu and the River, definitely.

oldschool

Reaction score
I do have a rule though, I will only tow you in once. I towed a guy at a local lake only to have him back out later broke down again. He was at the end of someone else’s tow rope then.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I've been towed in twice. Once on a damn run cause I run outa gas. Once cause something took a shit. That one was from a guy in a rib dinghy with 2 girls.

I've only ever had the opportunity to tow one guy in. Once I get her up and running, maybe I can help someone else out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
A great couple towed us in at parker mid week a bunch of years ago when it was quiet during the week . Ran into them again a year later down at the sand bar by blue water and thanked them again . Turned out the wife was a insurance agent and now almost all our stuff is in her portfolio .

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Good on you for helping them out. I can’t believe that many boats past him by and didn’t help. I definitely think it’s the newer boaters. Anytime we see a boat that looks stranded or the hatch up, we stop to make sure they are ok and need help. Many years back, my dad took a wife and kids back to the launch ramp so they can wait in their truck in the ac while vessel assist was on their way since it was a very hot day. It never hurts to stop and ask.

I noticed the attitudes changing once people stopped waving back and staring at you like something is wrong with you. Very few people wave back as you pass anymore.
My wife yelled at me last week for always waving...:(

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Far too many people on the water and on the road are thoughtless, selfish dicks

We never leave anyone off road - you always stop to see if someone is broken down and needs help. And that should happen on the water too.