WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What happened to Boaters helping Boaters

hallett3

Reaction score
Always tow if someone needs help. Way before sea tow we got stuck between Catalina and Long Beach fishing. You really feel alone we you don’t see anyone for hours. We did have a VHF radio and that was our next step. We got lucky and someone coming back from Catalina stopped and help and towed us in to Hunington Harbor. We offer to pay him for his troubles and he said always return to favor. Another story we had a May Day on the radio guy was sinking. He gave his location and we went to his location. It so so nice we saw two other boats coming to render aid like us . The two boats got there first and we couldn’t save the boat. The people got on board of the other boats. Being stranded sucks always help.

nowski

Reaction score
Seven years ago on our first trip of the season we launched at Katherine's Landing. Wife takes the boat thru the marina (with our kids and their friends) while I'm looking for a parking space in the upper parking lot. I make the walk back to the launch ramp and off in a distance. I see our boat tied up to the end slips furthest from the ramp with engine cover up. I finally get out to the slip and ask my wife what happened and she says that everything was fine and all of a sudden the engine died and couldn't restart the engine. My wife was about 300 - 400 yards from the ramp and asked a passer by in a boat for a tow, the guy rudely says not my boat not my problem!!! I was steamed when she told me that story, got out the paddles and we made our own way to the boat launch while others just watched.

Although I've towed about half a dozen boaters and one sea doer since, I'm sad to say boating will never be as friendly as it use to be. Thank God for Sea Tow...

BTW the cause of the engine failure was a faulty (Sierra) water separating filter that was changed the previous month that simply fell apart. A known issue to Sierra at the time...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
"No boater left behind"

I spend at least a cumulative full day every year or so towing people.

I wouldn't think of knowingly leaving anyone stranded. Its the boating equivalent of abandoning an animal.
You just dont do it.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Here’s the way I see it, the mentality has changed in boating because new boaters aren’t educated on good karma. We on RDP are mostly 2+ generational boaters. As most of us grew up around boats we saw what our dads did to help others and absorbed that helping manner. We understand the frustration of a breakdown and let’s face it, unless your DILLIGAF on a Damn Run, it ruins your day! New boaters don’t understand that philosophy until they break, in a sense it’s not their fault.
I'm a 1st generation boater, but I grew up hunting with my dad all through desert around blythe and near polo verde. Pre common cell phones for me most of it.

I can't count how many people we pulled out, dug out or just offered to help. My dad instilled that nature in me and it definitely rolls over to boating.

Middle of the desert or middle of the lake its the same principal.

77charger

Reaction score
I grew up boating i seen my dad get get towed in as a kid and seen him tow others in too.Same here i have been towed and haved towed others in.Its been a while for me but wouldnt hesitate if needed too again.

And will say some are just dicks about it too hope someday the karma bites them.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I honestly never understood boaters not having BoatUS especially for only 90 bucks a year, they will tow you anywhere on the river from Havi to Laughlin if needed and it is unlimited tows..... you can't beat that kind of insurance that is for sure. I would not even take out my new to me boat past the immediate area from our launch til my plan was active...again Just In Case....That said, we always help someone stranded (if appears to be safe) weather on land or on the water...just what my Dad taught me and has always been my way....

cofooter

Reaction score
I ALWAYS stop and ask if they need help, and/or tow them to where they need to go within reason. Karma!

Last edited:

checkrd past

Reaction score
Awesome bud. Great to know oldschool boaters, though few, are still on the lake. 👍

That's the statment, "oldschool boaters" the new crop of boaters the last decade are ghetto rats and don't give a shit but my self a-holes. Plus they don't know how to change oil let alone trouble shoot a problem. I'm done for now.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I ALWAYS stop and ask if they need help, and/or tow them to where they need to go within reason. Karma!
Exactly. Years ago, I was on a friends pontoon boat with 4 kids. The engine blew, and we ended up in the reeds down by the sandbar. Although it was 115 degrees, we only had two boats stop by to throw us a water bottle. We finally had to jump in a passing boat, who dropped us at Havasu Landing, where I got my boat and pulled friend back to the launch ramp. I have always stopped to help other boats, and many times towed them all the way back to their trailer. I've lost many days towing others who have had problems, but as said above, we are all boaters, we take care of each other, and it is a brotherhood.

Water Romper

Reaction score
So to take this thread in a bit of different direction- wife and I were out on Havi several years ago, it was about 5pm, great day, visited all the local haunts (Copper Canyon, Sand bar) its a brisk 105 degrees, just a great day. Drive by a rather large "cove" we see a boat that appears to be in trouble, rear hatch open, guys look like they are fiddling with something, I putt up, ask if they are OK, one guy states he needs a tow to Windsor, I'm like, ok, he then asks for me to get closer with my boat, the 3 other guys are now standing up, no females are on the boat, I ask if he has a rope, I can tie on my ski pole, he asks again if I can get closer because he needs to "board my boat" to make sure we tow him ok- keep in mind I'm about 20 feet distanced from his boat. I get that "feeling" and I say no way in hell any of you are getting on my boat, I then say, get a tow from someone else, They call be a few names as I motor away. I guess about 30 minutes later, I see the boat and the 4 a-hole guys scooting along just fine in the open lake. Wife says to me "Lets just go to the channel and sit with other boaters for a bit" (i could tell she had that pit feeling in her stomach) She then said she would rather get off the lake, her fun boating buzz was over knowing what "might" have happened. Helping other boaters is a great gesture- just be careful, there are a lot of sleezy, up to no-good a-holes out there.

cofooter

Reaction score
So to take this thread in a bit of different direction- wife and I were out on Havi several years ago, it was about 5pm, great day, visited all the local haunts (Copper Canyon, Sand bar) its a brisk 105 degrees, just a great day. Drive by a rather large "cove" we see a boat that appears to be in trouble, rear hatch open, guys look like they are fiddling with something, I putt up, ask if they are OK, one guy states he needs a tow to Windsor, I'm like, ok, he then asks for me to get closer with my boat, the 3 other guys are now standing up, no females are on the boat, I ask if he has a rope, I can tie on my ski pole, he asks again if I can get closer because he needs to "board my boat" to make sure we tow him ok- keep in mind I'm about 20 feet distanced from his boat. I get that "feeling" and I say no way in hell any of you are getting on my boat, I then say, get a tow from someone else, They call be a few names as I motor away. I guess about 30 minutes later, I see the boat and the 4 a-hole guys scooting along just fine in the open lake. Wife says to me "Lets just go to the channel and sit with other boaters for a bit" (i could tell she had that pit feeling in her stomach) She then said she would rather get off the lake, her fun boating buzz was over knowing what "might" have happened. Helping other boaters is a great gesture- just be careful, there are a lot of sleezy, up to no-good a-holes out there.
:oops: Creepy Creepiness..........

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Tried to help some boaters that found the rock bar right near Big Bend (of the Colorado River State Park, Nv.) Across from Bullhead Riviera.

Older trihull, (80s?) Volvo powered. Prop ears sheared off even with the hub. Boat resting comfortably on the rock bar in ankle deep water.

Just minutes before, he was following me in my wake, at a reasonable distance. I had pulled over to the beach at Big Bend. He continued down river, thats when he found said rock bar. He wasn't too happy with me, (wtf?) I wasn't piloting his boat. I ended up towing him to Lazy Harry's so he could trailer it. No thank you, no f*ck you, nothing. At least more junk off the river.

Just Wednesday boating in 3 units of water, (or less) lol

Dan'l

Reactions: DWC

PaPaG

Reaction score
I honestly never understood boaters not having BoatUS especially for only 90 bucks a year, they will tow you anywhere on the river from Havi to Laughlin if needed and it is unlimited tows..... you can't beat that kind of insurance that is for sure. I would not even take out my new to me boat past the immediate area from our launch til my plan was active...again Just In Case....That said, we always help someone stranded (if appears to be safe) weather on land or on the water...just what my Dad taught me and has always been my way....
Extra protection during boating has been a must in my book for over the 20 years......glad nothing happened but gutt feelings are usually rarely wrong...

RichL

Reaction score

Extra protection during boating has been a must in my book for over the 20 years......glad nothing happened but gutt feelings are usually rarely wrong...
Agree with both accounts here. I've been with BoatUS and had their towing coverage since 1993. Oddly we typically boat on local lakes where they aren't available but never know when we'll end up on Lake Erie or the Ohio River.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
"the person should just have Sea tow/Boat US" yeah that solves it.... except they aren't on every body of water. Maybe its someone's first time on Havasu (or other large lake with the service) and they don't know about it. They should be punished for that? That's pretty harsh and pretty callous. Always lend a hand, even if its just asking if they are ok and need anything.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon in Parker. Dude is on the bow of his boat with a paddle in glass alley.

I hook him up and tow him back to Echo. They offer me money, nope. They are like...

We feel so bad for ruining your last day on the water!

I just smiled and waved goodbye. I think I was out there for another ten days...

:cool:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Havasu has pirates!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Is there a non 911 on Havasu you could call and or text pics of said nefarious characters or hit run or blatant oui that would heads up uscg or sheriffs in these situations?

hallett21

Reaction score
Is there a non 911 on Havasu you could call and or text pics of said nefarious characters or hit run or blatant oui that would heads up uscg or sheriffs in these situations?

Not sure. But hit and run or OUI would be a 911 call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Launched out of Martinez once mid-winter to bass fish. Dude rolls-up in a fully decked-out Ranger bass boat w/ his kid, his first time there.
I tell him where the sandbar is in front of Martinez.
He takes off and shortly after we hear "BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP" . . . he didn't listen . . . LOL.
We roll up there in a little tin boat, sure enough, they're stuck good.
We jump out and push him off the sand bar.
Later that day, we see him up river . . . he asks how we're doing . . . we hadn't got a bite all day.
He pulls out a GIANT box of purple worms in every size and shape, and with a giant chew in his mouth says, "here you go boys, these fish TEND to like the purple" as he hands us a giant handful of plastic worms.
Then we proceed to catch about 30 bass till we ran out of worms !!!
My buddy still calls me to this day and says, "These fish TEND to like the purple"! LOL
Karma is Cool Sometimes.

Seas

Reaction score
"the person should just have Sea tow/Boat US" yeah that solves it.... except they aren't on every body of water. Maybe its someone's first time on Havasu (or other large lake with the service) and they don't know about it. They should be punished for that? That's pretty harsh and pretty callous. Always lend a hand, even if its just asking if they are ok and need anything.

Not sure if every BoatUS member is aware of this, but even if they have no towing service on a particular lake, if you contact them they will assist finding an alternative towing service and reimburse you for the tow. This is copied directly from the BoatUS website's Q&A:

"In areas where TowBoatUS is unavailable, an authorized service provider must be used. If there are none available in your area, contact the BoatUS 24-Hour Dispatch Service Center at 800-391-4869. Once verified by the Dispatch Center that you are boating in an area without a TowBoatUS service provider, BoatUS will provide reimbursement for the first $2,500 of the tow under the Unlimited Service Level and the first $3,000 under the Unlimited Gold Service Level."

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Seems like I have a great time every time we tow others, help someone beached, broken down, sunk and every other issue. End up meeting new people and having great stories. To me that's all part of a normal river trip.

77charger

Reaction score
I remember and oldschool boater claiming he won’t help because everyone should have boat us then then same person got stranded on a part where’s there’s no boat us some locals helped him out funny how that works. IMO new boater vs real old school boaters. 😱

77charger

Reaction score
T
Not sure if every BoatUS member is aware of this, but even if they have no towing service on a particular lake, if you contact them they will assist finding an alternative towing service and reimburse you for the tow. This is copied directly from the BoatUS website's Q&A:

"In areas where TowBoatUS is unavailable, an authorized service provider must be used. If there are none available in your area, contact the BoatUS 24-Hour Dispatch Service Center at 800-391-4869. Once verified by the Dispatch Center that you are boating in an area without a TowBoatUS service provider, BoatUS will provide reimbursement for the first $2,500 of the tow under the Unlimited Service Level and the first $3,000 under the Unlimited Gold Service Level."
ry and find that when your floating where no cell service with a current. Advice help out and pay it Foward boat us ain’t worth shit in some places.
Yes I’m a member too and would help if flagged down. Been on both ends of rope. Never leave a man stranded even if they wouldn’t help you. !!

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I'll try to help anyone as I've been on both sides of the rope. I do have Boat US and carry a small hand-held VHF radio, as you can hail the tow boat on channel 16 I believe, in the event we have no cell service.

PlanB

Reaction score

I always have a gun on my boat. I have run into some weird people and animals over the years. Your families safety comes first.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I always have a gun on my boat. I have run into some weird people and animals over the years. Your families safety comes first.
Got that right, sure would hate to deal with the aftermath if it got ugly but A-Holes will NOT harm me or my family. I've had a few incidents involving guys in boats while the wife and I are minding our own business in a peaceful cove. Nothing turned violent but I know their intentions were not in our best interest. We can all assume they have weapons too so be careful

oldschool

Reaction score
I remember and oldschool boater claiming he won’t help because everyone should have boat us then then same person got stranded on a part where’s there’s no boat us some locals helped him out funny how that works. IMO new boater vs real old school boaters. 😱
That, sure as shit, ain’t oldschool.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

That's freaking nuts. When did this actually happen??

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I am really judgemental when it comes to this stuff. I'm not a towboat. I would help with a short tow to shore, give someone a ride to get help or give them some waters and drinks. I am not ever towing a pontoon with 14 people onboard 11 miles back to the harbor. fuck that. I guess if it was a small family i would let them all ride back to the harbor/ramp if space permitting.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I am really judgemental when it comes to this stuff. I'm not a towboat. I would help with a short tow to shore, give someone a ride to get help or give them some waters and drinks. I am not ever towing a pontoon with 14 people onboard 11 miles back to the harbor. fuck that. I guess if it was a small family i would let them all ride back to the harbor/ramp if space permitting.
This is a good point, our boat is small (19ft) and cant tow many of the larger boats for fear of swamping over my transom. Still would stop and ask if there is anything I can help with- although, I don't really have much to offer, I have limited tools, water, other "beverages" and don't even ask for my sunflower seeds. My main concern is if the people are ok- I've rolled up on injured people before and had to offer first aid as the parents/other boaters were freaking out.

Reactions: DWC

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Good point mentioned above about carrying a gun on board.
Many years ago my Dad and I had made the long run out to San Clemente Island 60 miles offshore in our 23 foot center console Correct Craft.
We took gear to spend the night and made a weekend of it.
We were mid-way down the backside of the island fishing the kelp beds for calico bass, not another boat in sight on an ugly 'June-Gloom' day.
Off in the distance we see a small flying bridge boat maybe 25 feet or so, slowly cruising up the line along the edge of the kelp heading our way.
It wasn't a commercial boat. It got closer and closer, and kept coming straight at us.
It took what seemed like eternity to finally get close to us . . . we could see a 3-4 dudes up in the open fly bridge, so they had eyes on us the whole time.
It got to the point where we stopped fishing, and yelled at them to turn . . . which they BARELY did and rolled by us maybe 50 feet away.
We were cusssing and yelling at them and they didn't even move a muscle. I was a kid and remember it like yesterday . . . i think there were 4 dudes, all in dark grey/black jackets over hoodies and ball caps on . . . totally bundled-up. (it's always wet and cold that far offshore) . . .
They didn't have any fishing gear, or dive gear on the deck, and they certainly weren't commercial guys. Waaaayyyy Sketchy.
Looking back, I'm kind of thinking they had a load of drugs they were bringing up the line from mexico. . . just motoring slowly to save fuel w/. a heavy load.
When you're that far off the beach, it wouldn't be a stretch to have a drug smuggler try to pirate your rig . . . Now I keep a loaded .45 w/ extra mags. at the ready.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Good point mentioned above about carrying a gun on board.
Many years ago my Dad and I had made the long run out to San Clemente Island 60 miles offshore in our 23 foot center console Correct Craft.
We took gear to spend the night and made a weekend of it.
We were mid-way down the backside of the island fishing the kelp beds for calico bass, not another boat in sight on an ugly 'June-Gloom' day.
Off in the distance we see a small flying bridge boat maybe 25 feet or so, slowly cruising up the line along the edge of the kelp heading our way.
It wasn't a commercial boat. It got closer and closer, and kept coming straight at us.
It took what seemed like eternity to finally get close to us . . . we could see a 3-4 dudes up in the open fly bridge, so they had eyes on us the whole time.
It got to the point where we stopped fishing, and yelled at them to turn . . . which they BARELY did and rolled by us maybe 50 feet away.
We were cusssing and yelling at them and they didn't even move a muscle. I was a kid and remember it like yesterday . . . i think there were 4 dudes, all in dark grey/black jackets over hoodies and ball caps on . . . totally bundled-up. (it's always wet and cold that far offshore) . . .
They didn't have any fishing gear, or dive gear on the deck, and they certainly weren't commercial guys. Waaaayyyy Sketchy.
Looking back, I'm kind of thinking they had a load of drugs they were bringing up the line from mexico. . . just motoring slowly to save fuel w/. a heavy load.
When you're that far off the beach, it wouldn't be a stretch to have a drug smuggler try to pirate your rig . . . Now I keep a loaded .45 w/ extra mags. at the ready.

We rolled up on an empty panga out by SBI a few years back. We didn’t call it in as we didn’t want to chance the CG telling us to stay at the scene until they arrived

MeCasa16

Reaction score
We went out with the couple who bought our old boat yesterday. They came in the night before and paid for it, then picked it up in the morning to go out on the lake. I figured learning to drive a V drive in those conditions might be more stress than his marriage needed, so we offered to help them launch. They asked if we would mind going with to show them the lake (they are from Northern California). We agreed. The conditions leaving the channel to the North were ridiculous. Not a pleasant way to enjoy your new boat, so we detoured around the island and headed south. Conditions were much better going south. Ended up at 3 dunes, then the dam and the springs. On the way back we saw a boat waving us down. Guy said they broke the motor right off the mounts in the chop. They were getting close to be blown into the rocks.
We towed them to the dock at cat tail cove. With those high winds yesterday, I’m sure it was a much easier option to get his truck and trailer down there, then to have sea tow take him back up north.
278D4ECB-E8AC-42F8-B88C-25940690DBC4.jpeg

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Helped and been helped. It's just what you do. We were up near Topock beached next to a Vietnam era Marine with at least 6 teen age/ young men. They were romping around tossing a football etc. I overheard one say they were out of ice. We were heading back so I offered them a full bag we had not opened. They thanked me and offered to pay.(I declined) when we were trying to come off the beach we were stuck really bad. Wide and I and 6 and 8 year old. The Vet. noticed us and quickly drill sgt. The guys to get us off the beach. I could hear him teaching them old school boating. It was good to hear!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So, does BoatUS and SeaTow both serve Lake Havasu and the Parker strip? or is it one or the other?

I've had plenty of broken boat stories, but I've never had a tow service, always relied on the goodwill of other boaters to either tow us back, or just get someone to drive the truck and trailer down to the closest ramp we broke near.

Are they both $90 a year? Honestly that wouldn't be a bad thing to have, especially as we go up in boat size and towing becomes more of an issue to other boaters.