WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Have you Guys Done when a Newborn is on the Way? (Boatless or Not?)

gqchris

Reaction score
So, most of you know I just bought my dream boat recently. A Holy Grail Hallett 240 OB.

As I have been sitting here this week, I seriously realized that I don't foresee ANY Lake boating in my future at LEAST until next season, if not longer! Which scares the living shit out of me. LOL...not the baby, but lack of boating! I have never been boatless in my life. I cant function! I need my trips.

My daughter is due in 5 weeks or so. Momma needs me around because if baby is early, Im not gonna be "that guy!".

My wife is not a river rat in any sense. She never went to lake in her life or even a boat until she met me. We have been married 5 years, she loves going, but she can take it or leave it. I can assure you the baby will not be in 2 months on the boat like I see some folks doing (Which is awesome, but my wife is no way having that action going on!). I dont even think she will leave Baby alone with ANYONE once here. She truly is a miracle baby after a long road.

So...felllas, I am thinking of selling the boat. Never thought I would say that. No this is not a 2FF lounge thread, (Love ya Brotha! :D )

Give me advice, Do I keep boat in storage for a few years (we don't have a Havasu House yet) and hold on because its unreplaceable? I don't need the cash, but its a lot of coin to sit and collect dust and cobwebs. (NO comments that you'll be happy to go blow the cobwebs out! ) 😅

Do I find an Ocean Cruiser and be slipped closer to home? (Momma wants that plan)

I have never NOT gone to the lake or river. Yes, I can go with buddies etc, but its never been as fun as when my families with me. I'm an old man and one night of partying and I am done for 2 weeks!

What say ye! My RDP Friends.......Pic for Memories a few weeks ago.....

unnamed.jpg

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
So, most of you know I just bought my dream boat recently. A Holy Grail Hallett 240 OB.

As I have been sitting here this week, I seriously realized that I don't foresee ANY Lake boating in my future at LEAST until next season, if not longer! Which scares the living shit out of me. LOL...not the baby, but lack of boating! I have never been boatless in my life. I cant function! I need my trips.

My daughter is due in 5 weeks or so. Momma needs me around because if baby is early, Im not gonna be "that guy!".

My wife is not a river rat in any sense. She never went to lake in her life or even a boat until she met me. We have been married 5 years, she loves going, but she can take it or leave it. I can assure you the baby will not be in 2 months on the boat like I see some folks doing (Which is awesome, but my wife is no way having that action going on!). I dont even think she will leave Baby alone with ANYONE once here. She truly is a miracle baby after a long road.

So...felllas, I am thinking of selling the boat. Never thought I would say that. No this is not a 2FF lounge thread, (Love ya Brotha! :D )

Give me advice, Do I keep boat in storage for a few years (we don't have a Havasu House yet) and hold on because its unreplaceable? I dont need the cash, but its alot of coin to sit and collect dust and cobwebs. (NO comments that youll be happy to go blow the cobwebs out! ) 😅

Do I find an Ocean Cruiser and be slipped closer to home? (Momma wants that plan)

I have never NOT gone to the lake or river. Yes, I can go with buddies etc, but its never been as fun as when my families with me. I'm an old man and one night of partying and I am done for 2 weeks!

What say ye! My RDP Friends.......Pic for Memories a few weeks ago.....

View attachment 1029190
If this is your dream boat and yoi would just replace it next year with the same type I would sit on it. This boat is the devil you know right now too, with boats, even with proper due diligence you can get a raw deal.

I was in the same "boat" as you last year. I knew we were planning on another kid (due date is actually today lol). And I knew I wanted to upgrade anyway so I sold since the market was up. We were looking for a house in Havasu last summer as well but I'm holding off a bit on that to since I wouldn't have used it.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Don’t sell the boat. The time will come. Just be patient. I bought my boat when my kid was just born. My wife is the same way as yours but now the kids love it and so does the wife. I wanted to sell the boat to buy a nicer one. They all said “don’t do it we love our boat”.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
If this is your dream boat and yoi would just replace it next year with the same type I would sit on it. This boat is the devil you know right now too, with boats, even with proper due diligence you can get a raw deal.

I was in the same "boat" as you last year. I knew we were planning on another kid (due date is actually today lol). And I knew I wanted to upgrade anyway so I sold since the market was up. We were looking for a house in Havasu last summer as well but I'm holding off a bit on that to since I wouldn't have used it.
This is also based on that I assumed you would use it next year with the new born lol. Our 1st was out there at 3 months lol.

gqchris

Reaction score
This is also based on that I assumed you would use it next year with the new born lol. Our 1st was out there at 3 months lol.

I wish my wife was hardcore like that but aint happening :( And neither of us have any family here, so she will need all my help tending to the little one at home. I think 1 year minimum is my goal date!

gqchris

Reaction score
@gqchris you will be boating next year trust me. My son born in October was boating in may the following year. Short days 4-5 hours and likely not in July or august but it’s still boating!!!

I hope Ian , but you know my wife aint exactly a river/desert enthusiast! She "likes" it, loves being "on" the boat, but definitely not one that suggests trips.

Maybe this is just expectant first time father nerves! LOL....my toys are getting the brunt of it! 😅

Reactions: DWC

gqchris

Reaction score
Keep the boat. Youll use it next year. My first was 6 weeks old when we first took her out and my wife is exactly like yours. Now my kids love it to death.

Im liking the theme going on here by most, the wives come around? Right now its just all BABY and Nursery and Birth Plan and this and that,.........There is hope I am hearing from you good sirs!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I wish my wife was hardcore like that but aint happening :( And neither of us have any family here, so she will need all my help tending to the little one at home. I think 1 year minimum is my goal date!
Hopefully she comes around. It's pretty easy early on, gets a little harder when they can walk lol. I'm a helicopter dad a bit around water.

Realistically the prime time is going to be early up until they start sports or other activities in the summer. Makes it almost impossible to go on weekends.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Sell and ocean boat it. That’s what I set out to do. Sold the 240 in Dec and was planning picking up 30’ ish CC or a Grady white marlin.

So far nothing has come up worth the coin. So bought land in TX instead to relocate. Damn things change.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Im liking the theme going on here by most, the wives come around? Right now its just all BABY and Nursery and Birth Plan and this and that,.........There is hope I am hearing from you good sirs!
For sure. The build up to this kid was night and day from our first lol. So much less stressful. Life changes and now you have a kid, but you don't have to let it stop everything fun. Boating is a super simple family event that will be great for you guys.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Keep the boat. Looks like good family boat. If in a few years you haven’t used it as a family, then sell it. If your wife doesn’t want to boat with the kid by then, it’s an uphill battle that likely can’t be won. I know this from experience, unfortunately.

gqchris

Reaction score
Sell and ocean boat it. That’s what I set out to do. Sold the 240 in Dec and was planning picking up 30’ ish CC or a Grady white marlin.

So far nothing has come up worth the coin. So bought land in TX instead to relocate. Damn things change.

Yea she swears if we had a slip down in Huntington Harbor we would use it “all the time”. Im like babe, we got an RV in driveway thats never touched!!

I loved my Bayliner 2855 slipped years ago. The slip fees and diver fees were a kittle painful, but was great to just go down and fish off the back and not even leave the slip.

Reactions: DWC

Backlash

Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming addition! I'm in the camp where we've taken all of the kids out to the river since they could barely float. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way, but would go more often.

Before you do sell and devote your life savings to boating the salt, talk to those who boat in the ocean and see what their expenditures are vs. boat life in fresh water. Slip fees are outrageous here in SoCal, not to mention all of the necessary upkeep for a slipped boat. Corrosion is unavoidable and whatever you take out there, is going to show significant use simply due to the elements.

Sorry, just saw your post above. 🤦‍♂️😁

gqchris

Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming addition! I'm in the camp where we've taken all of the kids out to the river since they could barely float. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way, but would go more often.

Before you do sell and devote your life savings to boating the salt, talk to those who boat in the ocean and see what their expenditures are vs. boat life in fresh water. Slip fees are outrageous here in SoCal, not to mention all of the necessary upkeep for a slipped boat. Corrosion is unavoidable and whatever you take out there, is going to show significant use simply due to the elements.

Thanks Backlash! Yup ive been down that road. Its painful, but rewarding also.

Used to love just crusing my dinghy on back of the boat around and relax. But the upkeep is a grown mans sport thats for sure!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
With the current market, you won't get hurt in the sale if you go that way.
But I hope you don't.
With a 1yo, you may say that the boat fund is better placed elsewhere. Next thing you know, kid is off to college and you're sprinting towards retirement.
If you still have the boat, a weekend here or there isn't too bad. When and if the kid is going on the first trips, be super dad or super husband. Make it as easy on wife as possible.
All my kids were on water within 2-3 months...one within weeks. Wife is a water person though, so a bit easier.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Keep it my son has been on the boat since 2 months. He is now 11 months. They come around to it. Trips definitely change but it is still fun. Don’t get rid of it

4Waters

Reaction score
I was born in Sept and I was at Glamis that Thanksgiving and out at the Channel Islands in March, that was 45 years ago but you get the point.

I lost my job 16 days before my daughter was born and then the economy tanked shortly after so my daughter didn't get to the lake for a while

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Keep the boat.

What do you have to lose by keeping it? What do you have to gain by selling it?

Not ideal for it to sit for a year + but it's not the end of the world.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Yea she swears if we had a slip down in Huntington Harbor we would use it “all the time”. Im like babe, we got an RV in driveway thats never touched!!

I loved my Bayliner 2855 slipped years ago. The slip fees and diver fees were a kittle painful, but was great to just go down and fish off the back and not even leave the slip.
This is where I’m at. I have a Grady white in my driveway in SoCal that hasn’t seen the ocean in 2 years due to various reasons. I am considering getting it up and running and throw it in a slip for reasons like above.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I’d throw a covid price on it and see if it sells, market is too hot not to try. If it sells, one less thing to worry about. If you don’t get an offer you like, hang on to it. Storing a boat you never use is a pain in the ass. If your wife isn’t a big boater you probably won’t get much use out of it for a few years until your kiddo is older.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

even if trailered it’s only an hr to the harbor. (Depending where you live). Beats driving 3.5hrs for weekend boating and back during the mad rush.

was supposed to be relaxing. I didn’t relax till I was cleaning the boat before heading back home.

if just the wife and I went that was different. But that didn’t happen much with young kids. The kids on the other hand had a blast.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
This is where I’m at. I have a Grady white in my driveway in SoCal that hasn’t seen the ocean in 2 years due to various reasons. I am considering getting it up and running and throw it in a slip for reasons like above.

what model Grady? My dad 282 sailfish and would tow it to Victoria island to salmon fish every year. Good times.

gqchris

Reaction score
even if trailered it’s only an hr to the harbor. (Depending where you live). Beats driving 3.5hrs for weekend boating and back during the mad rush.

was supposed to be relaxing. I didn’t relax till I was cleaning the boat before heading back home.

if just the wife and I went that was different. But that didn’t happen much with young kids. The kids on the other hand had a blast.

We are 5 minutes to the harbor. Which makes me really think. But like someone said earlier, there aint shit in the ocean cruiser market worth a damn right now. All garbage.

FishSniper

Reaction score
what model Grady? My dad 282 sailfish and would tow it to Victoria island to salmon fish every year. Good times.
It’s a smaller 20 with a Yamaha outboard and a cabin. Fished offshore and Catalina regularly until couple years ago.

DLC

Reaction score
Any local lakes you can shoot out to for a quick day of fun? Take your daughter….. come back in 5-6, 7 hrs after baby is here?

plan on renting a VRBO next year 3-4 times so you have a full home to keep mama and baby happy, in July / August maybe get something with a pool. So you can boat some and enjoy being out here.

I would NOT sell, if it’s your dream boat!
you can always shoot out here and plug into my 30 amp plug for a quick over night get away!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We are 5 minutes to the harbor. Which makes me really think. But like someone said earlier, there aint shit in the ocean cruiser market worth a damn right now. All garbage.

There isn’t and I have looked for almost a year and the ones I looked at were shit imop. Lake boats don’t like to get wet and ocean boat are beat.

trailered boats are typically in better shape and that’s what I look for.

30’ Grady white Marlin is the max tow for a cuddy cabin. And a 35’ CC edge water is the max tow for a CC.

DLC

Reaction score
Oh Congratulations on the new baby! I’m excited for you both!

cxr

Reaction score
Didn’t read all the replies. But when we bought our boat my wife was like 7/8 months pregnant. And then after my daughter was born we had her out ay the river at two months old in July and been going every year ever since. As a baby esp 9-12 months. Try to keep cool and out the sun from 10-2. Maybe mom can take a nap break in the hotel or house at the hottest time of the day. Get the baby a life vest and get her out

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Don’t know what to tell you. Best advise I can give you from an empty nester. Just sell it to me and my wife. For the next 5 years we will take care of your boat and at a later date we will sell it back to you once you can enjoy it with your family. I know right that is incredibly generous of us. You can thank us later. :)

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I like the get a better family boat comment 🙄. Hallet 24 is a nice solid riding boat in all types of water. Keep the boat and give the new kid something to be proud of! That’s a great memory machine you have!

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Keep the boat. So what, this year is a bust. But next year will be awesome. Both my kids were at the lake at 2weeks old. So next year your kid will be 6-7 months old. It gets easier as they get older. My kids will give up everything going on to go to the lake

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
My son was about a month old and my daughter was 2 weeks old, she was born June 15 and in the boat 4th of July weekend.
21’ Brummett on Parker, but that was before all the dock crushers….

azsunfun

Reaction score
keep it slow for thier little necks and in the shade, no reason to stop life, just slow it down. :)

DWC

Reaction score
Pics of the Grady?! :cool:

Singleton

Reaction score
My daughter was boating with us at 4months as we participated in DS 2012.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
When my first son was 8 weeks old I took him to truckhaven during tierra Del sol. My second son was 3 weeks old and I took him to Parker. I never stopped the trips. Car seats will buckle in a 5 point harness and babies can be stowd in the boat console under the steering wheel. 😎

DWC

Reaction score
If you can get top dollar for it now I’d do it. The market is still pretty high and you can pick something up later. The storage and insurance savings will help offset diapers and formula.
Three kids and I’d say that too young didn’t stop nearly as many trips as sports/birthday parties/kids stuff. Not even close.
It comes down to what the two of you want to do with the kids during your free time. River, Ocean or other.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Shit me and the wife(ex) had all kinds of issues getting pregnant. So I bought a boat and no shit two months later she was pregnant. Daughter was out on the boat 2 months later.. I say keep it and enjoy the time.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
My son was out at 6 wks, and is 18 months now. He LOOOOVES the boat, he can't walk by it without grunting and pulling on the cover. My situation is similar and different in many ways. My wife likes the river but isn't a diehard like I am. We have a 27' formula with a cabin and it works perfectly now, he has an insulated cabin with a bed, couches and a freshwater sink/toilet system.

Here is what I have learned, and it was the hard way I learned this, short trips are your friend, only a couple hours a day. Either get out early and off by noon, or do the 3 to sundown bit. When it's mid day and the kid needs to nap but can't it makes for one one pissed off mommy, we all know how easy post partum ladies are to deal with. As long as the kid is hydrated and gets the naps in, all is well.

As far as the boat thing goes, the hallett will be perfect in a few years. Once mine gets old enough to be getting on and off the boat by himself an open bow or mid cuddy will be on the docket, but for now the full cabin is worth its weight in gold
20210718_193210.jpg
20200825_121514.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk