WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Have you Guys Done when a Newborn is on the Way? (Boatless or Not?)

just_floatin

Reaction score
I sold my boat when my grandchildren did not want to wakeboard or water ski a few seasons back. We were all on the water and I asked both of them twice “are you sure you don’t want to ski?” to which my oldest daughter said, “Dad they do not have to ski if they do not want to”. Words never spoken to my wife and me ever from my daughters. Understood. Her children her rules. My boat my rules.

A month and a half later, the same daughter and family were coming up to LHC for the weekend. I informed my daughter to bring an EZ-Up for the beach because I sold the boat. She said “you did what?” I responded, “I removed the boat from the family trust”. Guess them grandkids should have skied that day 🤣. My point is, if you are not using the boat, sell it to someone that will.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Our vector was completed in December 1990. I was born in March 1991. Keep the boat [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
Cockadoodle-do.😁
My wife was not a river girl either, she was a surfer chick. But she did learn to enjoy it. She was even nearly 8mo pregnant rockin' her thong. Our daughter is an Aug baby, we had her in a boat by Sept. Big key is not planning to boat in 115° so mama can stay comfortable and not be worried about baby overheating. The late Summer/early Fall conditions lend themselves favorably for cozy conditions. Once a comfort level is established then planning other trips become easier.
So yeah, I'm saying keep your boat.😉😊
Thanks Ziggy! Nice seeing you guys last time out also in the Channel. Good times!

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Both my Kids were "boaters" when they were babies and up to thier "teens" , that was easy Its when they got tired of going ton the Lake with Mom and Dad , pre teens, Teens, Soccer, parties at the house when the wife and I were away ... the babies are easy ...

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
When we had twins I thought about selling the boat!

Glad I didn’t! This was 4 years ago.

We just got off the water earlier and didn’t go out when it was 122 degrees

You adapt! Wife and I are river rats!

IMG_2592.jpg

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
When we had twins I thought about selling the boat!

Glad I didn’t! This was 4 years ago.

We just got off the water earlier and didn’t go out when it was 122 degrees

You adapt! Wife and I our river rats!

View attachment 1029291

Love this! Thats what its all about right there.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I sold my boat when my grandchildren did not want to wakeboard or water ski a few seasons back. We were all on the water and I asked both of them twice “are you sure you don’t want to ski?” to which my oldest daughter said, “Dad they do not have to ski if they do not want to”. Words never spoken to my wife and me ever from my daughters. Understood. Her children her rules. My boat my rules.

A month and a half later, the same daughter and family were coming up to LHC for the weekend. I informed my daughter to bring an EZ-Up for the beach because I sold the boat. She said “you did what?” I responded, “I removed the boat from the family trust”. Guess them grandkids should have skied that day 🤣. My point is, if you are not using the boat, sell it to someone that will.

Lol is skiing the only thing you can do with a boat? 🤣 🤣

gqchris

Reaction score
Wow those 240 have really appreciated in value. 5 years ago you could pick those up all day long for $32K-$37K. 😱
If only I could buy all the Magic Deck boats 5 years ago and resell I would be able to retire right now!

Sherpa

Reaction score
I have 3 daughters.. 1st born was 2 years old when we had our twins.

we never missed a boating, camping summer ever
Either being pregnant, or with 5 month old babies.. our boat is a 1988 Mastercraft ProStar
Tournament boat.. so interior seating isn’t exactly huge! My wife as well as yours wasn’t raised in a boating family like I was.. (I’ve been boating since also being 6 months old, a lot of times sleeping under the bow of our 16 foot Tahiti.)

I say keep the boat.. keep the wife. And certainly
Keep on boating!!

—Sherpa

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Keep it . . . and make time to use it . . . you'll regret selling it, especially if it's the boat you've always wanted.

As far as putting a boat in a slip . . . unless I had UNLIMITED cash flow, I'l NEVER do that again. The constant maintenance, and corrosion that takes place was just an absolute nightmare. Haul-out once a year for bottom paint, drive(s) service, paying a bottom cleaner for a weekly scrub, sleep fee's are ridiculous, fuel prices on the water are way higher than land, pump-out for the shitter can suck too. . . then there's the electrolysis which eats everything alive. The other thing I HATED was the constant battle with mildew . . . dehumidifiers running 24-7 . . .cabin always smelt like a nasty gym shower . And unless you're in love with the harbor you're considering a slip in . . . you're locked into that as your home port.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Mak has been in the boat since 2 months old..she loves it. Never got the whole sell the boat cause I had a kid deal that so many wind up doing.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
How long has your boat been locked away now?😆🤣🤣
Your wife should employ your courageous ideas on you😁😁
The only thing started to hold me back was the financial aspect of using it. I could have easily sold it to make things easier. But nope, fuck that shit, I kept it. Now I just gotta bet back in the swing of things. Other things on my plate right now. But I'll be back when it's time suckaaaa..

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Mak has been in the boat since 2 months old..she loves it. Never got the whole sell the boat cause I had a kid deal that so many wind up doing.
Nice! Mak is my daughter's nickname. She is almost 3 months. Will be on the boat soon here.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Nice! Mak is my daughter's nickname. She is almost 3 months. Will be on the boat soon here.

Ha nice, we're heading back out to havasu for the first half of August, if you guys make it to the river hit us up.

Kids adapt..she has her limit though. Summer we have her off the water by 2 at the latest..depends on the temps. She loves the water though. The cabin on the x-flight with the fans cranking stays decently cool as well and she will crash out if needed. Anymore I like to get on the water very early and make my way back to the ramp between 12-2. I'm over the crowds.

Attachments

• tempImageRyotpg.png
    tempImageRyotpg.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • tempImagei6MqU7.png
    tempImagei6MqU7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Dont sell the boat.. I've had my kids out boating at a month old. You will be boating in no time.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I would hold on to it for at least a year. We took our kids out when they were just a few months old. That doesn't mean your wife will agree to it of course. We didn’t have the internet for people to “mom shame” us or inform us of all the danger we would do to our kids. Now, it seems parents can’t do anything right. Everything is going to harm or injure, possibly even kill your child. Must cause so much anxiety for new moms. 😕

Hold on to it through at least next summer and try taking it to a local lake first to ease into it. It’s a great boat for children.

We took our granddaughter out a couple of weeks ago. Here she is with my mom. I know, she looks miserable.
AA97AB23-D694-4EBE-B515-E43F4CF32384.jpeg

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
The kids came into your life, you didn’t come into theirs. They will adapt and adopt to the boating lifestyle. The memories you make with them on the lake will be forever. Keep the boat and share with them why you love to do what you do.

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
Just avoid the super hot months like July, August and they'll be fine...

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Keep the boat and stick to your guns. Kids are like race motors, break them in hard and they will settle in or blow up. We started taking both of ours at 5 months with our first and 3-4 weeks with our second. Older is a lifer now and younger daughter could take it or leave it. The stress and workload to get there, get on and off the water and return home turned out to be a blessing for me because once my wife experienced all the work she broke down and and gave me the blessing to buy a vacation home in Havasu. Ended up being much less logistical stress and a little less manual work. Work as a team and just keep the rhythm of going before she finds a new escape with a bunch of new mommies and you end up at the park dreaming about a lake day. Seen it happen to the less vigilant. Happy boating!

aj923

Reaction score
Keep your boat. The first year goes way faster than you think. I didn't believe everyone with my first daughter. She is 4 now. She has been on the boat since 8 weeks old. Now my 3 month old goes on the boat with us.

You have kids to share your experiences with them. The first few years of life are for you to remember.

Give them a chance to make memories.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Since this is your first, you are over-reacting and worrying too much. I love when people won't take kids out cause the weather isn't great. I always tell them "it's a good thing humans weren't having babies before the advent of air conditioning!"

Take the family out on a cooler weekend for the first time with the baby (likely will be easier to convince the wife to go) and you will see riding in a boat puts babies to sleep almost instantly and really makes it pretty easy to deal with them for the day that way. I bet after your wife sees how much the baby enjoys it, she'll change her mind.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Our daughter was born in April and we were on the boat in May. Both my wife and I grew up boating. It’s a big part of our life. Kids weren’t going to change our life/hobbies. She’s gone just about everywhere with us, she’s stayed home plenty of times for adults to get away. Can’t let it dictate your life, your kids will appreciate it.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The used boat market is insane. It's either gonna come back to earth or it isn't. Selling right now at what could be the top of the market may be a good idea but if your wrong...

I say keep the boat, find the cheapest storage situation you can and ride the newborn wave. Life's gonna get weird for awhile. Enjoy every minute of it because it goes fast. Having the boat just in case the market stays strong is your safest bet to ensure your kids enjoy the things that make you the happiest. Enjoying it with them makes it even better.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Hold onto your boat. Kids love the water and when they start asking how many more days until you take them back to the lake you will be glad you kept it. Maybe for the first few trips stay closer to home. A 240 is also a great size boat for the kiddos very smooth. I would consider selling to swap to a boat that's mid cab open bow, or is walk through with the sofas on each side. They're nice to put kids to sleep there or hang out when weather is bad. But don't sell just because you're unsure.

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat(no pun intended) Our first is due in December and I just had a new motor put in mine lol.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
These were at powell this last weekend! Pretty crazy monsoon even got hail out of it it but then we got some cool water fall pics.
KIMG0481.JPG
KIMG0482.JPG
KIMG0485.JPG
KIMG0486.JPG
KIMG0491.JPG

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
When my daughter was born in '99 I sold my boat. Why? All the reasons in post 1.

Fours years later my son was born in 2003 and I bought another boat shortly after and was back at Parker when he was 6 mo's old. Best times.

Moral of the story I should have never sold in the 1st place.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Along with the same subject, I changed many a diaper on the front seat of a CJ-7 on the trail!!

Ladsm

Reaction score
Babies love the water. Wife needs to learn to like the lake. Its about the kids, she shouldnt be so selfish and deny the baby.

TCHB

Reaction score
We did the entire routine with the kids at our river house. They have good memories but If I had to do it over I would have spent more time closer to home. we spent a lot of time traveling back and forth.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Since this is your first, you are over-reacting and worrying too much. I love when people won't take kids out cause the weather isn't great. I always tell them "it's a good thing humans weren't having babies before the advent of air conditioning!"

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Plenty of truth on this. We used to go to river and desert offroading before child. Most every couple in our group was like "we'll always keep going" when we do have kids. Well that didn't really happen. Jan and I were boating and offroading with our kids alone or with the unmarried ones, the rest pretty much just disappeared.

Icky

Reaction score
Son was born September 2019, this is his second river season. Last year he would pass out every time we started moving, we would hold him covered with a wet towel to protect him from the wind and had a spray bottle to keep him cool.This year, he stays on his schedule and naps on the boat, but stays awake for most of the rides as he's curious.