WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What heads for a 496

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I am building a 496 for my 20.5 Hallett open bow jet boat.

The jet has been completely rebuilt and has a stainless A, bowl stuffer, inducer and a droop snoop with ride plate.

The parts I have for the short block are
BBC Mark IV 2 bolt block with a stud girdle. 4.310 bore
Crower 4.25 crank
Crower 6.385 I beam rods
Looking at a hydraulic roller with over .630 lift./Johnson lifters and will use stainless rockers

I have never ran oval port heads and the more I read on these heads and what rpm I will be using it for they seem to make really good power.

The heads I am looking at are no larger than a 320cc intake runner as this will not be a high rpm motor. I have seen some dyno videos online that show 290cc intake runner heads make over 600hp and good torque on this size motor.

Square Port

Canfield | WilkesPerformance | United States

Canfield Big Block Chevy Castings
www.wilkesperformance.net
www.wilkesperformance.net

Round Port

PROFILER SNIPER BIG BLOCK CHEVY 290CC ALUMINUM 24 DEGREE CONVENTIONAL PORT HEADS - PER PAIR - FULLY ASSEMBLED

PROFILER SNIPER BIG BLOCK CHEVY 290CC ALUMINUM 24 DEGREE CONVENTIONAL PORT HEADS - PER PAIR - COMPLETE
www.westcoastoffshore.ca
They make a 320cc version but I think it might be too big for sub 6k rpm use.

I have always run large square port heads with higher rpm in mind on larger cubic inches from 540-582 and want to size these better for lower rpm use with the smaller cubic inch.

I am open to other suggestions.

I doubt this will ever turn over 5500 rpm with that A impeller and size of boat.

BigJimSportsCamper

Reaction score
Hello Tahoe540- Below link is for aluminum heads i was running in my 496 GM block. I know am running them on my 582 Merlin Block.
Very reasonably priced. Let me know if you want me to share my build for my 582 cid, 780 HP @6k, 720 ft. lbs of tq at 5K.
Thanks- Jimmy

bocco

Reaction score
Hello Tahoe540- Below link is for aluminum heads i was running in my 496 GM block. I know am running them on my 582 Merlin Block.
Very reasonably priced. Let me know if you want me to share my build for my 582 cid, 780 HP @6k, 720 ft. lbs of tq at 5K.
Thanks- Jimmy
These look like a screaming deal at $1259.00 for an assembled pair. I'm looking at almost that much to put new valves and springs in my iron heads. If the combustion chambers weren't so big I would give them a shot for sure.