WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What injuries have you gotten playing on the water?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I remember falling forward water skiing and somehow getting way in front of the rope and when the boat turned around all the slack tightened up under my armpit and shredded the F out of me

Header burns a plenty

Tire tube tubing tore me up good on more than one occasion.

My wife broke her back wake boarding at pro level because rail was dry for some reason and she ended up center punching her back on it. That happened years before we met

And more but those are the highlights

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Skiiing on a windy day and came out of a cove that was flat, laid over to cut to my right and rear of ski lost grip with front digging in, don't remmeber much after that other than my wife asking me if I was ok. Left shoulder surgery to repair torn tendon was the result, good times.

traquer

Reaction score
Dad was water skiing and wiped out, got a huge welt on his shin presumably from the ski hitting it. Had to ice it down, it stuck out like an inch lol. Didn't hurt too bad but we were afraid of it making a blood clot or something

Last edited:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
concussion waterskiing evening glass on Lake Powell... took a header... I was out of it for 3 days....

4Waters

Reaction score
Bruised some ribs, I also crashed while skiing and popped up with my properly fitted life vest around my waist.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Right in the middle of a hard cut single handle snapped in half, resulting in my knuckles hitting my eye, thus a week long shiner. A true story, no one ever believed it however.

Had a little mishap in a blown hydro also that crushed 3 vertebrae with a couple weeks in hospital.

gqchris

Reaction score
Almost took off my big toe with the prop a few years back. My boat was drifiting at the sand bar and I jumped in real quick. Must have caught a bur on the prop. Sliced open. Glad I had my first aid kit on board.

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Me, not much other than getting my bell rung and the wind knocked out of me. My mom was trying to single ski and broke her back. It’s been 30 years and she’s never been the same. Doc said it almost paralyzed her.

She toughed it out the entire weekend and hit the Dr. when we got home.

old rigger

Reaction score
Never got hurt skiing but one of my oldest friends did a few years ago. He lives in Michigan now and was skiing behind his sisters boat, took a hard fall and broke his hip. As they were trying to help him out of the water he was telling them to let go because of the pain. The part that made him queasy though was the he looked at his leg and his foot was floating along side his head. lol
He said he still gets sick to his stomach when he sees someone skiing.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Various burns from headers. Torn Hammies from single ski. Many cuts from props on legs/shins/feet/toes. Dislocated shoulder and torn rotator cuff from wake boarding. Concussion from jumping off a Daytona going 90. Concussion from running into another friend while tubing.

You know...the usual... :p

old rigger

Reaction score
I forgot, I got hit by our flat bottom in the mid 60s when I was about 8 or 9. I was standing on the beach where Laughlin is now and dad was pulling my mom, my aunt was observing. As dad turned into the little cove to drop her off the steering failed, he hit me about 45 mph and it threw me about 20 feet up river. The boat made it about 40 feet up the beach. They said it took about an hour to flag down another boat for help (no one went to Bullhead in the 60s, it was paradise) and I eventually ended up in the Needles hospital. Cracked my hip, hurt like a mother fucker. I remember my balls swelled up to the size of lemons, and it was not a good look along side my 8 year old dick.

81Sprint

Reaction score
took a ride on a sit down wave runner, jumped a wave and the ski came down uneven. It threw me off, foot got caught somehow and snapped my ankle, resulted in surgery 5 screws and 4 months of recovery. Was not a fun time.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Early 90s

fullsizeoutput_eb8.jpeg
IMG_1055.JPG

Still using the hook

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I was 19, Parker area. Water skiing, single handle... I fell backwards, the rope somehow got between my legs, the handle fit perfectly on both thighs... I was basically a human lure at this point... spinning ass first as the driver of the boat hit the gas to make the uturn... when they realized I had not popped up yet... he backed off the throttle and I popped up.... got back to beach.... slept from 4pm to the next morning... I was exhausted trying to stay alive...

DWC

Reaction score
Countless enemas and epic wipeouts barefooting in my younger years. Haven’t done it for 10Ish years for good reason. (Wish i had video of the last rides in Needles. Put on train wreck show for a few large groups off a boom)
Busted open my chin and neighbor kids head tubing in Parker. Caught some major air and came down on the poor kid.

dribble

Reaction score
broke my back waterskiing, Broke some ribs......waterskiing (twice)

4Waters

Reaction score
I've hurt my pride a couple times as well. LOL

welldigger00

Reaction score
My pal Jed-o has a cougar tunnel hull pickle fork vdrive that throws a 4” tall wake. I had an appropriate amount of c minus to drink that day, on lake mead glass, and wanted to go for a rip. I was laying turns in deeper and deeper, and the tail came out of the water causing me to hit the water 90 degrees to the boat ski first, and it dug in. I was using ho high wrap deals, that didn’t let me out of the ski, causing my ankle to snap. We were out with two medics,and two nurses, and they proclaimed that if I could stand on it, it wasn’t broke. By night time, my foot was dark purple half way up my calf, and through my toes. I stayed out at mead for two more days. Because I took the medical advice from the professionals, I assumed I was the biggest faggot, bigger than grads[emoji12], and I had a low tolerance for pain. Well, four months go by, and I, hobbling around, going to work everyday, and it’s not better. After an MRI, it turns out I torn two tendons, and broke the Tallis bone. It’s healed wrong now, four years later, and I still side step going down the stairs every morning. Good times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airchair.rider

Reaction score
Cracked ribs waterskiing trying to jump of the wake. Ruptured ear drum 2 different times, once on a tube and once on a ski. Bruised ribs another time airchairing ….still not sure what happened that time.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I should have read the entire thread... Some of you know how to party.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Ear drum multiple times. 1st time playing water polo. 2nd time on a wake skate at Mead. 3rd time on a water ski at Powell and 4th confirmed time jumping off the tuna tower in Avalon after maybe one too many on my current boat...There may have been one or two more thrown in there but those are the confirmed cases lol. Needless to say scuba diving isn’t in my future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
90s jumping the wake on a single ski , dug the tip and slammed face first , came too face up , dazed , concussion and two blown out eardrums

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Twice while slalom skiing after biffing ski hit me upside the head. Drawing blood once.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Oh, and a friend of mine I think still has a kink in one of his fingers because I thought he said “ hit it” when I was pulling him behind my dads jet boat back in the day.

RichL

Reaction score
Reading these stories reminds me just how lucky I was back in the day after some of the spills I made it through. Had to give it up about 15 years ago after an unrelated fall and the threat of paralysis if there was ever another fall or accident.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Wife sat on my center rise header. Told her not to mess around getting in the boat. She decided to chat with her mom in another boat and a wake came and she lost her balance. We had to apply these sulfur bandages and she was in crazy pain. Note to anyone else, they’re jacketed but they ain’t cold...
E0B65048-B63F-4D18-B04D-E9983E4AD836.jpeg

6829CB46-2798-45E2-A936-9D5C914AAB8E.jpeg

cofooter

Reaction score
Lots of barefooting and waterskiing wipeouts but the worst wreck ever was on a tube behind a boat. Driver doing donuts and laughing in the middle of the lake. Didn't know if it was safer to bail off or ride it out. I hung on but ended up piling up doing about 60 (it seemed) and had a wreck like no other. 20yrs later my shoulderblades are still jacked up with wrecked nerves. Never again or since...…….

just_floatin

Reaction score
Blew out my left bicep on the hydrofoil. Learned that the baseball grip is not ideal when throwing a barrel roll with a hard landing. Then driving home from the lake I had a blowout on Interstate 10 towing and had to change the tire with one arm and knee leverage. Got er done.

My wife broke a rib water skiing behind my old 1976 eliminator jet boat. The rpms got away from me while BS with my friend and she biffed it. Her rib still sticks out a little to this day. Never a bad day on the water.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Pro tip: You have to tuck and roll. Be the pill bug. That's what Dad used to always tell us, and I've had a number of high speed get offs from skis and tubes.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cruising down river in the Daytona, enjoying the ride... a bug hits me in the chest, thwack! It happens, no biggie - I don't think anything of it and sweep it away with my hand.... well, it wasn't just any bug. It was a wasp. And, I didn't just sweep it away, I swept it right into my lap. That effer stung me right in the errrrrr, "honeypot" [emoji6], TWICE.

Ouch. Had a puffy beaver for a few hours after that. Lol!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
Took a header while on a slalom ski, it hit me under the arm giving me a separated shoulder, and the binding hardware sliced open my bicep. That took almost 20 stitches.

If frozen water counts, I raced downhill and slalom, and received two more shoulder separations and a dislocation along with torn knee cartilage from those activities.

I learned to wakeboard in my forties, and mastered several difficult tricks, my go to being the face plant. Nothing worse than black eyes on those.

JD D05

Reaction score
Blunt force trauma to 75% of my body, 13 fractures in my ribs, and an enlarged pulmonary artery.

JD D05

Reaction score
Cruising down river in the Daytona, enjoying the ride... a bug hits me in the chest, thwack! It happens, no biggie - I don't think anything of it and sweep it away with my hand.... well, it wasn't just any bug. It was a wasp. And, I didn't just sweep it away, I swept it right into my lap. That effer stung me right in the errrrrr, "honeypot" [emoji6], TWICE.

Ouch. Had a puffy beaver for a few hours after that. Lol!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Wow

TexasJet

Reaction score
Worst was 3 cracked ribs in a hard fall water sking. I couldn't take a deep breath for .months. Nowadays it seems the boat or trailer eat up my shins. I get scrapes and scratches almost every time I go out.

77charger

Reaction score
Header burn think everyone whos had bassets has got one.Other dislocated thumb from jetski race last year

PlanB

Reaction score
Surfing in the actual ocean, I had a surfboard skeg slice my cheek wide open. I could stick my tongue through it. I still have a nice scar from it. At the river it would have to be one of the wife's friends that jumped for some beads and kicked one of the cleavers. About a 4" gash in her lower leg.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
WTF happened
First afternoon at the delta

Pulling an empty tube (no rider) about 30 mph, heading back to camp

The old style tube, basically an inner tube with a vinyl cover.... made by sevylor.

The tube must have flipped and the cover caught water like a "water parachute".

I felt the boat drastically slow down. when I came to an almost stop I got up turned around to see what was going on and literally saw stars. headache! ruined a perfectly good pair of varneaux sunglasses

Wife, 3 kids in the boat.. could have easily been one of them.

People say I'm lucky, I say "No, if I was lucky it would have missed me"

lesson learned, never use a metal hook to connect a towable

Pretty much right after that they changed the design of the attachment