WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is “too early” for boat start-up on the Parker Strip?

nrbr

Reaction score
NRBR,
You are correct.
This coupling system was standard on just about all inboard flatbottoms and Hydros in the late 50’s early 60’s until the 4 bolt split collars came along. In fact most direct drive inboard Circle hydros and crackerboxes used them well into the 80’s. For the same reason as the early v-drive boats...no in/out capabilities so the chain would be taken off so the engine could be run out of the water.
The coupling itself is pretty darn stout given the load it needs to bare especially in a Hydro.
When setting up, I run the prop shaft all the way up into the v drive shaft and run a single key the length of it.
Really no problem under load because the prop is pushing the shaft forward. Problem is when you lift at high speeds the prop is trying to pull the shaft backwards! Dimpling the shaft and safety collars will do the trick.
Hope this explains it...
That's awesome thanks for taking the time to explain!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
A little love for Homeblown since this "started out" as his thread. lol
Schiada Ad Hot Boat Jan 1966.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Nahh, I gutted it when I bought it six years ago and haven't finished with it. It was built as a center steer ski race boat with an Evinrude 235. It looks like it may have originally been white, red and black but was changed to white, blue and red. If you're extremely bored, I started a thread in the Schiada section a LONG time ago. Look up "Schiaward."

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
C14459DB-4BE8-4CF4-97F5-CCF1E9F0F913.jpeg
Happy Fathers Day back at ya!

My dad, been gone 20 years.

View attachment 764924
Happy Father’s Day to all you Fathers & hats off to the dads who got you into boating.

For those whose dads have passed, honor them by being the best men you can be.

My dad passed in 1990, but I woke up at 4:24 a.m. this morning & his birthday was April 24th ~ so it was cool that he “came by” so I could wish him a
Happy Father’s Day ♥️

Enjoy this BEAUTIFUL DAY ~ you knew it was going to be after last night.

“Lucky’s Wife”

dryhoze1

Reaction score
39B1255E-C8C1-47BF-8951-F76B5EC023B1.jpeg
View attachment 764940
Happy Father’s Day to all you Fathers & hats off to the dads who got you into boating.

For those whose dads have passed, honor them by being the best men you can be.

My dad passed in 1990, but I woke up at 4:24 a.m. this morning & his birthday was April 24th ~ so it was cool that he “came by” so I could wish him a
Happy Father’s Day ♥️

Enjoy this BEAUTIFUL DAY ~ you knew it was going to be after last night.

“Lucky’s Wife”

Good stuff !!

Happy Fathers Day..

Pops pulling the plug on the Howard. Parker 1974

old rigger

Reaction score
That boat is still my all-time favorite boat. I was hit by it about a year after the picture above was taken. We were on the beach across the river where we'd leave our stuff for weeks at a time, and I was standing on the beach. My uncle and 2 cousins were there too and my dad was pulling my mom and my aunt was observing. They were coming back down river and as was the habit back then dad would pull into the cove, give the boat full throttle and turn letting the skier glide right to the beach. A pulley on the steering system broke and the boat headed straight to the beach. Hit me about a foot down from the point of the bow and sent me sailing about 20 feet and cracked my hip. The boat was about 40 feet up the beach in the weeds. The kicker was because this was Bullhead no one else was on the water so there was no one to flag down. My uncle had to swim across the river (for those that down know the current was ripping there back in the day) to get some help. I went to the hospital in Needles and the next day my dad and uncle and a lot of other guys got the boat off the beach. No harm to the boat except for some scratches on the bottom.

The best part of the whole thing was my aunt's retelling of the story as she was just watching mom skiing and all of the sudden the ride's getting rough, weeds are passing by outside the boat and my dad's scrambling to me before the boat stopped. My mom watched the thing unfold at the end of the rope. I was 9 or 10 and beside my hip, which I re-broke 8 years later, my whole right side was covered with a giant bruise and my nuts swelled up to the size of lemons, which might sound cool but when their next to a 9 year old dick, it's not a great look.

I just posted this pic in another thread (sorry) but it shows "our" beach, off to the right side, across the river where Laughlin would be later on.

Scan 2019-6-14 0002.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Very nice. Will it run with Linders SR22 (wink wink)

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
You're missing the good water!
20190620_060820.jpg
20190620_060857.jpg
Blown flatbottom with dry headers. Something I’ve always tried to keep in mind whenever I do an “early” start-up[emoji51]. It never seems to be before 7:30ish but that might change.

Interested in some feedback especially from riverfront property owners.
Cheers!

20190620_060820.jpg
20190620_060857.jpg

Last edited: