WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is “too early” for boat start-up on the Parker Strip?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
That would be super cool. I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoke with "Chief Running Tab", he's in! 😁

IMG_0024 - Edited.jpg

RichL

Reaction score
Get a set of doubles! 👍👍
Actually still have an old set but it's not the same. Not gonna get into the bum knees and the Dr's warning about possibility of paralysis if I do something stupid like I'm prone to doing.

rrrr

Reaction score

This is the coolest news ever! I'm so happy Karen owns the boat her dad built over fifty years ago. I felt honored to own the Howard, knowing the story of its origin, and the hard work I put in restoring it has now been validated.

Karen and I had traded emails when I owned it, and when I decided to sell the boat, she wasn't in a position to purchase it from me. I am thrilled to learn the boat is back in her family, and I hope they get many years of enjoyment running the river, just like they did in the 70s.

rrrr

Reaction score

Thanks for posting these photos. I bought the boat on Thanksgiving day in 2001, and spent two years disassembling it, color sanding, polishing, and rebuilding the 427 FE. In 2004, my wife and I pulled it out to the Avi and the Classic Boat Beach Bash. We won the award for 'the most classic v-drive', and met a bunch of friends I had only known online.

I am so pleased to learn Karen is taking it home.

old rigger

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
@Wheeler

I had given Bill the original pink for the boat along with all of the receipts for the engine rebuild, the cam card, and other stuff, and I suppose he gave it to Karen. Do me a favor and tell her I still have the 1964 pink for the trailer, and I'll mail it to her if you get an address.

I also have a copy of the 1973 National Geographic magazine that has a photo of the boat going upriver as two kids jump off the rocks (photo posted above), and I'll send that to her as well. A few years ago I mailed two CDs to her dad with all of the restoration photos, if she doesn't have them I'll send copies of those too.

Wheeler

Reaction score
@Wheeler

I had given Bill the original pink for the boat along with all of the receipts for the engine rebuild, the cam card, and other stuff, and I suppose he gave it to Karen. Do me a favor and tell her I still have the 1964 pink for the trailer, and I'll mail it to her if you get an address.

I also have a copy of the 1973 National Geographic magazine that has a photo of the boat going upriver as two kids jump off the rocks (photo posted above), and I'll send that to her as well. A few years ago I mailed two CDs to her dad with all of the restoration photos, if she doesn't have them I'll send copies of those too.

I'll let her know in the morning if they are still here.

Wheeler

Reaction score
This is the coolest news ever! I'm so happy Karen owns the boat her dad built over fifty years ago. I felt honored to own the Howard, knowing the story of its origin, and the hard work I put in restoring it has now been validated.

Karen and I had traded emails when I owned it, and when I decided to sell the boat, she wasn't in a position to purchase it from me. I am thrilled to learn the boat is back in her family, and I hope they get many years of enjoyment running the river, just like they did in the 70s.
You're a good man rrrRon! 👍👍

old rigger

Reaction score
hey @Wheeler, has Karen said what she's going to do with that other flat they picked up a few summers ago. I think it's a Tempo? Maybe built in the south bay? Cool little metal flake flat with a SBC and 3 two's.

Wheeler

Reaction score
As I recall it's a Kinsvater which is now Larry's boat.:)

Good thing they aren't into Schiada's or the whole village would be wearing "Custom Schiada Velcro infused swinger gloves". 🤔

hey @Wheeler, has Karen said what she's going to do with that other flat they picked up a few summers ago. I think it's a Tempo? Maybe built in the south bay? Cool little metal flake flat with a SBC and 3 two's.

old rigger

Reaction score
As I recall it's a Kinsvater which is now Larry's boat.:)

Good thing they aren't into Schiada's or the whole village would be wearing "Custom Schiada Velcro infused swinger gloves". 🤔

Glad it's staying with them, his and hers flats.
It's not a kindsvater but a Tempo, Byers, D&D or another small builder form the south bay. Torrance maybe, I just can't recall right now.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Looks like a 'Keaton' hull.

Would love to find one of their emblems, my son's name is Keaton.

He was somewhat of a fixture here at the Village. He hung out with Don and Doty.

old rigger

Reaction score
He was somewhat of a fixture here at the Village. He hung out with Don and Doty.
who was, Jack Keaton?

Don and Doty have only been in the Village 7 months longer than us, I don't remember seeing that boat before.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
You need to come out more often and stay a little longer, 👍

WTH?
Aren’t we talking about the blown skier now? That schiada looks like the guy that goes by Tor on the forum? I gave him a set of vintage emblems for that flattie.

Wheeler

Reaction score
WTH?
Aren’t we talking about the blown skier now? That schiada looks like the guy that goes by Tor on the forum? I gave him a set of vintage emblems for that flattie.

Now were talkin 'bout lunch at Fox's and the Great shrimp tacos and Checkerboard Schiada's.

This is not Ryans boat, his is the Whiley Coyote. This boat is the "On to Glory" Schiada.

20201005_122016(0) - Edited.jpg

@RyanPartridge

DSCN1792.jpg
DSCN1815.jpg
DSCN1818.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
who was, Jack Keaton?

From what I understand Jack Keaton splashed a wood Mandella and made several V-drives like this one. Sound familiar? He might have started the whole splash your competition craze. ;)

I have lot's of photos of this boat from years past when he would visit the Village. I just need to find 'em.

20180211_155849.jpg

sintax

Reaction score
From what I understand Jack Keaton splashed a wood Mandella and made several V-drives like this one. Sound familiar? He might have started the whole splash your competition craze. ;)

I have lot's of photos of this boat from years past when he would visit the Village. I just need to find 'em.

V or direct?

old rigger

Reaction score

View attachment 929313

beats me on where he got his start, never heard that Mandella story before. Keaton's are too far North from us to know anything about, the only thing I know is he built a great boat, they have a loyal following and I want an emblem.
Glen Witt, Glen L designs, told me a story how Joe Mandella accused him of copying his early hull and offering them for sale in his plans. Once he proved they were similar but not a copy, the feud stopped. Maybe?

And as far as being in the Village more, I find it hard to believe you actually live there full time! I know you're around because I see all the boat pics from your cabana (mine has never made the Wheeler cut which is understandable as it has no chrome, checkerboarding, it's slow and doesn't have a tri axle trailer) but in the 63 days we've been there since March...I've seen you twice.

Last edited:

Wheeler

Reaction score
beats me on where he got his start, never heard that Mandella story before. Keaton's are too far North from us to know anything about, the only thing I know is he built a great boat, they have a loyal following and I want an emblem.
Glen Witt, Glen L designs, told me a story how Lou Mandella accused him of copying his early hull and offering them for sale in his plans. Once he proved they were similar but not a copy, the feud stopped. Maybe?

And as far as being in the Village more, I find it hard to believe you actually live there full time! I know you're around because I see all the boat pics from your cabana (mine has never made the Wheeler cut which is understandable as it has no chrome, checkerboarding, it's slow and doesn't have a tri axle trailer) but in the 63 days we've been there since March...I've seen you twice.

I don't live in Parker and I have posted pix of your boat. 👍👍

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That story of Karen getting her dads boat actually made my eyes water.. pretty awesome!

Great thread wheeler!