WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is “too early” for boat start-up on the Parker Strip?

500bbc

Reaction score
90503.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Thank you so much Ron .. I still cant believe its back home ....

My wife and I were very excited to learn it had returned to your family. Over the years we owned it, I told dozens of people the story of how your dad had bought the bare hull and so carefully rigged it just how he wanted it.

While reading your post, I thought about how things have worked out. If your dad hadn't sold it to Robert, I wouldn't have bought it on eBay. It's impossible to know what would have happened otherwise, but I doubt the boat would have been so carefully restored. It took a lot of time and money to do it, and because of your dad's health issues, it might have sat in storage in LHC until it was damaged beyond repair by the heat and dryness.

It was because of a single late night search on eBay I purchased the boat. I had never owned a v-drive before. For some reason I had decided I wanted to buy one. I asked my wife "Hey, can I buy this boat if it sells for less than $XXXX?" She rolled her eyes and said yes, and the next morning I told her "We own another boat!" She just shook her head. If I hadn't joined HotBoat and later RDP because I was looking for some guidance on how to work on it, your brother Mike would never have seen it online after I completed the work.

When I had to sell it in 2013, it was chance that J. J. Beaver found out about it and contacted Bill Duke. Bill was the perfect person to own the boat, he wanted a nostalgia v-drive, and didn't change much on the boat. It was chance that mention of the sale popped up on your Facebook feed because you had tagged the keywords "Howard v-drive", and you contacted Bill. He brought the boat out to the river in 2014 for Billy B's deal and you met him.

I don't know how you and Bill came to an agreement for the boat to change hands, but it was the result of this chain of events spanning almost 20 years. I couldn't be more pleased, and the only downside to the story is that your dad and Mike aren't here to enjoy the boat.

You have the boat again, and a story you can tell your kids and grandkids that spans over 50 years from the day your dad began working on a bare hull. I'm more than happy to have been a part of the story.

old rigger

Reaction score
OK Wheeler, please, please get some footage of Jerry Gilbreth’s Rayson running this weekend!!!! Last year they tested but didn’t run. This year I’m stuck at home, would love to hear that Lamborghini on the straights.
Damn it.
628775C0-C2E9-4752-8F4B-A55C5BD5BF2B.jpeg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
OK Wheeler, please, please get some footage of Jerry Gilbreth’s Rayson running this weekend!!!! Last year they tested but didn’t run. This year I’m stuck at home, would love to hear that Lamborghini on the straights.
Damn it.
View attachment 937722

It sounds like these three farting in unison while in a tin can.

9f839b33794a20a3e8026a03c2a298de.jpg

RichL

Reaction score
Damn it.
View attachment 937722
Don't know what this sounds like or how it runs, but damn that looks like a beast.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Damn it.
View attachment 937722
@carlski77 @obno

How 'bout some ski boats?
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG

copterzach

Reaction score
Damn it.
View attachment 937722

Excuse my ignorance. But exactly is this? And definitely more pictures and info. And thanks for posting the pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poncho

Reaction score

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Boat is b**** and I admit that.
But it needs grouped convergent divergent headers.
And can somebody explain that scoop to me. I see it's part of a huge air box.
Some Weber's or three Hollies would be pretty badass. Is it EFI?

Wheeler

Reaction score

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Blown flatbottom with dry headers. Something I’ve always tried to keep in mind whenever I do an “early” start-up[emoji51]. It never seems to be before 7:30ish but that might change.

Interested in some feedback especially from riverfront property owners.
Cheers!

I gave credit to a few who took over this thread but I want to come back and give a nice Thank You for starting it in the first place.
👍 I'ts been one of my Favorites.

copterzach

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Rayson. And thanks to Wheeler for all the pictures and history.

Wheeler

Reaction score
This a few years back, Billy B thought it would be fun to tow down from Needles (early) and wake up the Red Rock campground during one of the annual v-drive vacations. Unfortunately, word leaked out and everyone was waiting for them. Still fun even though I wanted to sleep in.

This boat should be down soon. Maybe thanksgiving weekend at the Manor. :D

ps: it's way past 8:30 ;)

Wheeler

Reaction score
Drag boat pilot Sonny DiMarco was fished from the water and taken to a hospital after his spectacular crash in 1971 off Long Beach. He escaped with only minor bumps and bruises. In a separate crash, Gary Cornwall of Reno suffered a broken foot.

The next morning the Los Angeles Times reported, “Larry Hill of Fresno, drove his unblown fuel hydro Mr. Ed, to a new speed record of 202.46 m.p.h.to highlight Sunday’s National Drag Boat races at Long Beach Marine Statium in front of a crowd of 15,800 fans.”

download.jpeg

A couple more for the @old rigger

p15799coll65id5797.jpeg
z8422_175628071521_501006521_3784349_1544884_n.jpg
ea0910141933 (1).jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
@Wheeler Help me out with photo #2, the aerial shot.

I am guessing Long Beach? Is the forest of tree like things in the distance oil derricks?

Wheeler

Reaction score

I am guessing Long Beach? Is the forest of tree like things in the distance oil derricks?

Yes, you are correct it's Long Beach, Rainbow Pier. I tried zooming in on what appear to be oil derricks as I was also curious about them.

p15799coll65id5797 - Edited.jpg
rainbow_pier_from_above_long_beach_usc.jpeg

1homeblown

Reaction score
I gave credit to a few who took over this thread but I want to come back and give a nice Thank You for starting it in the first place.
[emoji106] I'ts been one of my Favorites.

Thanks! I’ll get back out there with my tub soon enough. Maybe even bring it for the Outlaw gig at Sundance if I can get my shit squared away.

old rigger

Reaction score

The oil derricks in the back ground are on Signal Hill, Porcupine hill was one of it's nick names.
I was sent to a Military Academy (twice) that was on the ocean side of the hill. Built in the 20s and torn down in the 80s to build a public school. Someone reached out to me the the new school was finished because in the corner of the property they built a little memorial to the old Military school and wanted to know if I would like to attend the ceremony or at least put my memories in writing, why I don't know. They contacted as many of us as possible I think, but I told them I was glad to see that place leveled and as far as my memories of the staff and others that ran the place, they would never print what I had to say.

The rainbow pier was filled in with dirt starting sometime in the mid 50s and I think they tore the pier down in the 60s. My parents took me on it a few times the I was little in dad's '54 chevy. I don't really remember it though, I kinda remember the lights that were on the pier but that just may be from all the stories I heard back then. The arena was built in the 70s. The old convention center building that's in the pic @Wheeler posted, was free to use if you were bringing in a lot of people to the city, like car new shows, stuff like that.
You could rent sail boats, paddle boats or swim inside rainbow pier back in the day, before my time, but it had to be very fun back then. Since I was a kid Long Beach has managed to tear down every single thing that made the city a destination place, the rainbow pier, the Pike, closed the tunnels that lead under to the beach...the list is endless. Now we have that fucking sink hole, The Queen Mary.

We still have Joe Jost though! Coolest bar around.

Fatal fire on Signal hill in '58. Great cars in the forground!
XzAScnN.jpg

You could rent sail boats, paddle boats or swim inside rainbow pier back in the day, before my time, but it had to be very cool.
Rainbow.Pier_.4.jpg

What was and is today.

Rainbow.Pier_and_LB.Marina.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Because sometimes this site talks about boats....Long Beach boating.

I use to have several pics of boat racing in the waters off the city before the Marine Stadium was built for the '32 Olympics. Must be on my hard drive.
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 9.49.35 AM.png

BLA_1912_LongBeach.jpg

BLA_Boating1928.jpg

Little know fact, every Christmas in Long Beach virgins were doused with gas and sacrificed for good luck for the coming new year.

I have no idea what's going on in this LB pic.
BLA_LongBeachChristmas1920.jpg

boatnam2

Reaction score
The oil derricks in the back ground are on Signal Hill, Porcupine hill was one of it's nick names.
I was sent to a Military Academy (twice) that was on the ocean side of the hill. Built in the 20s and torn down in the 80s to build a public school. Someone reached out to me the the new school was finished because in the corner of the property they built a little memorial to the old Military school and wanted to know if I would like to attend the ceremony or at least put my memories in writing, why I don't know. They contacted as many of us as possible I think, but I told them I was glad to see that place leveled and as far as my memories of the staff and others that ran the place, they would never print what I had to say.

The rainbow pier was filled in with dirt starting sometime in the mid 50s and I think they tore the pier down in the 60s. My parents took me on it a few times the I was little in dad's '54 chevy. I don't really remember it though, I kinda remember the lights that were on the pier but that just may be from all the stories I heard back then. The arena was built in the 70s. The old convention center building that's in the pic @Wheeler posted, was free to use if you were bringing in a lot of people to the city, like car new shows, stuff like that.
You could rent sail boats, paddle boats or swim inside rainbow pier back in the day, before my time, but it had to be very fun back then. Since I was a kid Long Beach has managed to tear down every single thing that made the city a destination place, the rainbow pier, the Pike, closed the tunnels that lead under to the beach...the list is endless. Now we have that fucking sink hole, The Queen Mary.

We still have Joe Jost though! Coolest bar around.

Fatal fire on Signal hill in '58. Great cars in the forground!
View attachment 938538

You could rent sail boats, paddle boats or swim inside rainbow pier back in the day, before my time, but it had to be very cool.
View attachment 938539

What was and is today.

View attachment 938540
Cool pics! You know Jason at Joe Josts?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Mmmmm....Joe Josts special and schooner sounds gooooood right now.

Hell Yea! I use to work on a high rise down town for a few months down the street from JJ when I was a young punk, my coworker and I would make the walk eat a special and down 2 schooners each, I would be lit when we got back to work.

old rigger

Reaction score
Hell Yea! I use to work on a high rise down town for a few months down the street from JJ when I was a young punk, my coworker and I would make the walk eat a special and down 2 schooners each, I would be lit when we got back to work.
You remember the short lived Joes that was downtown?

Taboma

Reaction score
Wonder what HeliQuest is doing in Parker with their K-Max ? HQ uses those on projects requiring heavy loads lifted and carried.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I don't know much about helicopters. Why is that one so different looking?

Contra rotating main rotors that mesh. Used for heavy lifting. Not a conventional.design but has been around since the 50's.

Anyone building a transmission line nearby?

Wheeler

Reaction score
Wonder what HeliQuest is doing in Parker with their K-Max ? HQ uses those on projects requiring heavy loads lifted and carried.

Maybe it's our new air evac copter. 🤔

Taboma

Reaction score
Maybe it's our new air evac copter. 🤔

HQ is an international helicopter charter company who normally uses that K-Max for heavy lifts. Like hauling concrete buckets for pouring remote towers, wind turbines or ski-lift footings as an example. Could be for a remote antenna project ??

Taboma

Reaction score
The pilot flew in yesterday late evening and left this morning. I asked if he needed a ride, he thanked me but declined the offer and that was the extent of our conversation.

I'm still choking on my lunch laughing at the "Parkabilly Babes" comment. 😂