WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is a 135HP Merc worth?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am asking for a friend so I don't know everything about the motor. Here is what I do know:

It is 135HP Merc 2 stroke purchased new in 87-89. I don't know how many hours it has , but the hours are low as it has only been run a couple of times in the last 10 years. Even when it was new, I don't think the owner was a heavy user.

I don't know much about outboards other than they are durable. What should be done to the motor before using it? Does it need to be gone through, or just tune it up and go?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
The problem is, no motor has been used much. I've never seen an advert that read, "We really used the shit out of it." :D

I don't know what to say about the value. It will vary widely with place and circumstance. Maybe between $1500~3000?

There aren't a lot of guys who will want the tiny 2 liter V6. The OMC 140 out performs it in many ways and those can be had for next to nothing these days.

If it were mine, I'd pull the plugs, load it up from the front with WD40 and turn it over slowly with a 1 1/4" socket on a swing bar. Even better would be to do that with the powerhead on it's back so the lube gets to the bearings. There is undoubtedly some rust on the crank. If it was given storage lube before being stored, it might not be too bad. Either way, I'd turn it over by hand and see how smooth and tight it feels before firing it.

If it was just shut off and left for a decade, it will probably need some carb work too but I wouldn't start there.

Fuzzbutt

Reaction score
Friend of mine got $2500 for a fresh rebuilt 'Rude 115 back in late August. For a newer Merc you should start at at least that number. I'd pay $3k for one for my CVX if I had the cash for it and could sneak it by the wifey.

I'd go with Tom's idea but I think I'd start with fogging oil instead of the WD40. Use the entire can if you have to. A decent rebuild is going to run over $500 in parts. I wouldn't even run it without chanfing the gaskets in the gcarbs and between the carbs and intake. The only thing that destroys 2 strokes besides lack of oil is running them lean and an air leak is reason #1 for running lean.

Jet-Daytona

Banned
Reaction score
Friend of mine got $2500 for a fresh rebuilt 'Rude 115 back in late August. For a newer Merc you should start at at least that number. I'd pay $3k for one for my CVX if I had the cash for it and could sneak it by the wifey.

I'd go with Tom's idea but I think I'd start with fogging oil instead of the WD40. Use the entire can if you have to. A decent rebuild is going to run over $500 in parts. I wouldn't even run it without chanfing the gaskets in the gcarbs and between the carbs and intake. The only thing that destroys 2 strokes besides lack of oil is running them lean and an air leak is reason #1 for running lean.

A rebuild for $500.00 :eek:

Fuzzbutt

Reaction score
Rings, bearings and a gaskets. The rest you do your self. If stuff is shot then the price goes up a lot.

Supposed I should have said "from $500"...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The problem is, no motor has been used much. I've never seen an advert that read, "We really used the shit out of it." :D

If it was just shut off and left for a decade, it will probably need some carb work too but I wouldn't start there.

I don't know what he did after the last time it was run. The motor is on a 87 or 89 SeaRay 18.5' open bow. I can't remember a time that the boat has been out of the garage since about 2001. He is thinking of selling it. I am trying to determine if he could get more money selling the boat and motor separately or maybe sell the boat & trailer and keep and keep the motor for a pontoon. Any suggestions?

Tite Squeeze

Reaction score
tell your friend its worth 700 and ill come pick it up this week lol im in search for a outboard