WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is Involved in Registering a Boat in Arizona?

Bucketlist

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a used boat currently registered / tagged in Arizona from a private party. Can some tell me the exact steps?

1- Interesting thing is I am told that there are no titles / pink slips proving ownership on boats registered in AZ. So how do you actually prove that you own the boat?

2- I understand that no sales tax will be due on a private party transaction, so this is a plus.

3- I would like to get the paperwork done in Lake Havasu. So I guessing there is a local fish and game office in LHC? Just need to research this.

4 - Is it just matter of filling out new paperwork listing my name and out of state address so that the renewal tags can be sent to me?

4- Any idea what AZ tags for out of state residence cost?

5- Are the tags annual or every two years?

6- Are there any negatives for registering boat in AZ vs. Ca? Cant imagine so.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
out of state registration goes according to length,my girlfriends 21' cost her around $260

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
I just did this, I registered my CA titled boat in AZ.

1) There is no paper title, when you get your registration it comes with a card, this card proves your ID and registration. On that envelope it has a form if you sell it, you'd treat that like the paperwork.

2) AZ did not collect sales tax.

3) I had mine processed via the mail from Sierra Title Service, really simple I just mailed the paper work along with a check. A week later I have my new AZ numbers

4a) see above

4b) this is posted online via the AZFG website, its based on footage, not price. If its a beater 18' boat its prob cheaper to registering CA.

5) Yearly

6) unknown at this time, but i'd rather have my money go to AZ. Fuck CA

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Just thought of another question, which has to be the most important.

So if there is no title then how do you know if there is not a loan or lien against the boat? How do i verify the boat is free and clear?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It was the easiest thing. Call game and fish in kingman with the Reg # and they will let you know if they need to see the boat. If no, just show up with the paper work and pay.

Pay about 260 a year for out of state Reg.

Dalton

Reaction score
Just thought of another question, which has to be the most important.

So if there is no title then how do you know if there is not a loan or lien against the boat? How do i verify the boat is free and clear?

I was worried about this when I bought my boat, ended up just going for it, no problems yet. I drove to Kingman to get the sticker, probably not necessary though.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier I did mine through Sierra title. Painless. I will say if you go that route you will need to send a a form to them that has to be notarized first.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
If you're Ca resident with Ca license you can register boat as non-resident AZ. Annual fees for Non-resident AZ registration are higher than California Resident registration fees, but Ca also has 1% luxury tax which adds up fast if you have nice new boat. If your boat is older/less value it's better to do Ca registration. **If you have a California Drivers license and your boat is being used & trailered in/on Ca highways, your boat trailer needs to have Ca registration even if the boat is registered Non-Resident AZ** This will keep you out trouble with CHP.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If you're Ca resident with Ca license you can register boat as non-resident AZ. Annual fees for Non-resident AZ registration are higher than California Resident registration fees, but Ca also has 1% luxury tax which adds up fast if you have nice new boat. If your boat is older/less value it's better to do Ca registration. **If you have a California Drivers license and your boat is being used & trailered in/on Ca highways, your boat trailer needs to have Ca registration even if the boat is registered Non-Resident AZ** This will keep you out trouble with CHP.

X2 on the trailer. AAA took care of the this. You will need 2 bill of sales from the seller, 1 for the boat and the other for the trailer. Take the trailer to AAA and they will check it out. Then you pay sales tax on the amount on the bill of sale. Then get your plates.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It was the easiest thing. Call game and fish in kingman with the Reg # and they will let you know if they need to see the boat. If no, just show up with the paper work and pay.

Pay about 260 a year for out of state Reg.

Do this. Call them in Kingman ahead of time about the boat. They will tell you exactly what you need to do, you may not have to bring it. I didn’t have to bring either of my boats out there.

I did the CA trailer reg and boat AZ reg, even though the boat is never in CA. It was cheaper to keep the trailer reg in CA, and AZ wanted to see the trailer. If you want to transfer the trailer to Az down the road, you can. But if the trailer is older and you can’t see the VIN, you need other paperwork to change ownership to a different state. It is easier if you already own it.

chonchisyque

Reaction score
I only cost me 6bucks to register in az private sale. I registered the trailer ca.