WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is needed to set up turbo 400 to a V-Drive

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
How to convert a motor home 400 turbo to fit a V-drive set up.
What changes will need to be done to the tranny?
I have lots of room for the set up and 12 X 2 stringers,for depth
thanks ,PJ
campfl20.jpg

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
You can get buy with leaving it stock, or you can do reverse manual valve body, you will need to run a trans cooler, and a torque converter eliminator.
2FA65B2D-CEB3-468C-ACAF-3899F235F998.png BA694C88-1064-4B08-8482-CDB81528C4C7.png

alohajeff

Reaction score
As mentioned eliminating the converter is worth it. Converting to a spline drive isn't "cheap" but it's worth it in the long run. Do it right now and be done with it.

Running the standard PRN321 shift pattern is sort of sketchy in a boat. It's too easy to make the mistake of shifting from 2nd and missing 3rd and hitting neutral... or worse yet, skipping from 2nd right into reverse. A reverse manual valve body is cheap insurance against this and makes it a safer and easier boat to drive. With the reverse pattern your 1st is next to neutral and one more away from reverse. Otherwise you are going to be bumping from 3rd (faster prop speed) to reverse which isn't ideal for docking, side tying, etc. Yeah, you can use "Neutral" to idle around and then bump reverse as needed but sometimes it's handy to have 1st available and then be able to quickly catch reverse... like in the wind or in a current.

A good shifter helps too. I've got a Rex Marine billet shifter (for the reverse pattern) and it makes it easy to know at a glance what gear the trans is in. It's got a top mounted push button lock mechanism that prevents accidental shifts from one gear to the next.

Aloha

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
My advice would be to call Alexi @BoostPower to get everything you need.

I would also do a manual valve body with a reverse shift pattern. When you install the trans you also have to set the spacing correctly on the spline drive. 1 it has to engage the pump on the transmission and 2 there has to be play or you will take out the rear bearing on your motor. It’s a tiny bit difficult to set it up the first time but it needs to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
My advice would be to call Alexi @BoostPower to get everything you need.

I would also do a manual valve body with a reverse shift pattern. When you install the trans you also have to set the spacing correctly on the spline drive. 1 it has to engage the pump on the transmission and 2 there has to be play or you will take out the rear bearing on your motor. It’s a tiny bit difficult to set it up the first time but it needs to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Stock. But yes if you need info my email is [email protected]. Thanks

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

sintax

Reaction score
The last 3 posts sum it all up for you, thats all you really need to know.

I'd suggest doing it right from the start, spline drive and HD Damper plate, and in my eyes the MANUAL reverse valve body is a must.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
You can use a welded converter that works perfectly fine. Cost is about $200. The reverse pattern valve body is a easy conversion. A cooler is a must.Proper spacing is important. Just add the same spacer thickness between the motor plate and the converter. A friend is running a glide in a V-Drive Daytona Eliminator. He runs this behind a 588 inch blower motor. Works perfectly fine.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I would use a power glide personally TH 400 is good but you never use first and parasitic loss in a 400 is high.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
thank you All, all good advise.
i have been side tracked looking for a gen 4 454.
thanks again, PJ

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
thank you All, all good advise.
i have been side tracked looking for a gen 4 454.
thanks again, PJ

I have a used ls6 and several 489 cube new in the smaller items we sell[emoji1303]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks , i drove to lake Havasu City last tues and bought a nice gen 4, Mercruser Mag 454, 385 hp, 750CFM Double Pumper MARINE CARBURETOR to dooley oil pan.
I will have to Wait for the turbo 400 tranny for later when I sell my 72C 10-18-014 Velvet drive.

454.jpg

Last edited:

Nikwho

Reaction score
When you guys speak of trans coolers, are you using just a standard tranny cooler, or are you using a heat exchanger that uses water to cool the transmission fluid?

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
This is my T400 to engine set up, How do I make any clearance adjustments?
I was told adjust it to .120 to .060
here is my spacer ring set up
View attachment 760278

It must have play. If not the front pump on the trans will wear n break. Depending on the crank thrust clearance we set em to .100 + or - .020. It also depends on the drive plate your using. Some flex more then others. If it’s too loose it is no good as well.

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
It must have play. If not the front pump on the trans will wear n break. Depending on the crank thrust clearance we set em to .100 + or - .020. It also depends on the drive plate your using. Some flex more then others. If it’s too loose it is no good as well.

Sent from my Efi Beacon!
Thank you, How is the adjustment achieved?
I have a 3/8 rear motor plate, Regular flywheel, damper, 3/8 spacer ring, to spline drive
turbo 400 splin drive.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Yea, The ring would be the adjustment all right.
Thanks, This will be a challenge here without a mill.