WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is the difference between a Sequoia and a Land Cruiser?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Been looking at used Toyota SUVs. Honestly I'm a bit ignorant about them. So both the LC and the Sequoia are full sized vehicles, but what makes the LC worth the premium over the other truck?

I'm guessing, to begin with, the LC is built on a different platform. What else?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
LC is a dedicated high-capability SUV platform, engineered for global markets on an over-built premium platform with 25 year life expectancy.
Built in Tahara, Japan, on a dedicated line in the industry's top-quality factory. It's offered in many variants, with many different powertrains.

Sequoia is loosely based on the Tundra platform, is built in the US, and is sold in select markets. Not really any variants beyond trim levels.

You get a lot more capability in the LC platform compared to the Sequoia.
You get a lot more room in the Sequoia than the LC.

If you're shopping used, consider checking out used Lexus SUVs. Not the crossovers, the real SUVs like GX and LX.
They're often priced comparably or even lower than their Toyota counterparts - people think they'll be expensive to fix, but in reality these costs are similar to Toyotas.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Bought my youngest son a one owner 03 Sequoia from the neighbor down the street. My son loves it, and the only thing that it’s missing is 4x4. He’s done a lot of research on Sequoia vs LC of the same time period—he’s told me that the main difference is the LC has a beefed up transmission.

As an FYI, the Sequoia has only been worked on by one mechanic who told us that the engine (assuming decent maintenance) is bulletproof to 300k or more. He did say that the transmission in the Sequoia is relatively weak.

All that being said this is just semi informed hearsay. My son is looking to sell it and switch to slightly smaller vehicle, a 4x4 manual 4runner. I’d also say that same year/condition/mileage LCs are more $.

@Sleek-Jet Good luck.

Last edited:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
LC is a dedicated high-capability SUV platform, engineered for global markets on an over-built premium platform with 25 year life expectancy.
Built in Tahara, Japan, on a dedicated line in the industry's top-quality factory. It's offered in many variants, with many different powertrains.

Sequoia is loosely based on the Tundra platform, is built in the US, and is sold in select markets. Not really any variants beyond trim levels.

You get a lot more capability in the LC platform compared to the Sequoia.
You get a lot more room in the Sequoia than the LC.

If you're shopping used, consider checking out used Lexus SUVs. Not the crossovers, the real SUVs like GX and LX.
They're often priced comparably or even lower than their Toyota counterparts - people think they'll be expensive to fix, but in reality these costs are similar to Toyotas.
The GX’s aren’t as cheap as they use to be. People caught on to their capabilities and reliability which obviously skyrocketed pricing. I’ve been in the market for a ~2005 GX470 for about a year now and I haven’t found a deal worth jumping on.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The GX’s aren’t as cheap as they use to be. People caught on to their capabilities and reliability which obviously skyrocketed pricing. I’ve been in the market for a ~2005 GX470 for about a year now and I haven’t found a deal worth jumping on.

I know a car flipper who scours the classifieds of retirement communities. He finds a shitload of cream puffs that way.

And since Lexus buyers are among the oldest in the industry, you might have some luck there [emoji106][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I know a car flipper who scours the classifieds of retirement communities. He finds a shitload of cream puffs that way.

And since Lexus buyers are among the oldest in the industry, you might have some luck there [emoji106][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s smart as hell. Good looking out
1611022245651.gif

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I’m in the market for one myself.

Found one reasonably priced, 06, lower miles, drove great.

But...

The kid selling it has only had it for a couple of months, and he bought it with a rebuild engine. He says the previous owner was rich and rebuilt it simply because he was taking a trip to Alaska and didn’t want anything to go sideways.
New owner also says he’s only selling because wants something smaller. This makes sense based on the horrid parking situation in front of his apartment.

Thoughts?

Dalton

Reaction score
Which years are you looking at? The newer Sequoia's are way different from LC's, the older ones have more similarities but still different. The next generation Sequoia may share the same chassis as the LC.

The LC is a global platform, you'll see the same truck in Africa, the Middle East, and Australian Outback. The Sequoia is a very reliable platform also.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
One is a tree, the other... A formidable off road vehicle!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m in the market for one myself.

Found one reasonably priced, 06, lower miles, drove great.

But...

The kid selling it has only had it for a couple of months, and he bought it with a rebuild engine. He says the previous owner was rich and rebuilt it simply because he was taking a trip to Alaska and didn’t want anything to go sideways.
New owner also says he’s only selling because wants something smaller. This makes sense based on the horrid parking situation in front of his apartment.

Thoughts?

I call BS.

Those engines are bulletproof. I'd wanna talk to the previous owner and the shop that did the work if it was me.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I call BS.
Those engines are bulletproof. I'd wanna talk to the previous owner and the shop that did the work if it was me.
But at least the odometer was rolled back too. So there’s that.

Anyway, hoping to score an 05+, with less than 150k miles for $15k or so. Missed out on a clean 90k miles for $17k in Anaheim a week back.