WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is the Software a Mercruiser Tech Would Use to Diagnose Problems/Change Parameters?

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Is it the Diacom Marine from Rinda or is it something else?

Got a two beep alarm periodically on the boat yesterday (twin 496HOs) and would like to hook up to it to see what the problem is. All fluid levels are fine, engines running fine without reduced power, and I halfway expect that it will clear itself, but it would be nice to see if the computer saved any codes.

Also...I recently installed Vessel View Mobile and am having a tough time getting it to work. After I try a terminal resistor I apparently need and if it still doesn't work, Mercury says I may need to have a dealer get into one of the computers and change it from a starboard engine to a port engine so the information being received by the Vessel View module from each engine doesn't conflict. Apparently an easy change, but got to get into the computers to do it.

Since it's a long way from where I keep the boat to a dealer, I'd like to get the diagnostic tools for my own use. If I'm going to pop for that, I'd like to just get the "full" version that would allow me to do what a dealer does.

What's out there for those of us who would like to do this stuff ourselves?

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Mercury DDT with Smartcraft cartridge and it will change engine recognition from port to stb or vice versa. It's been a long time since I used it and can't remember what it can do otherwise. I think it was made by Rinda for Mercury.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Something tells me Merc is going to keep that close except for the top tier price. $$$ ;)

Is it the Diacom Marine from Rinda or is it something else?

Got a two beep alarm periodically on the boat yesterday (twin 496HOs) and would like to hook up to it to see what the problem is. All fluid levels are fine, engines running fine without reduced power, and I halfway expect that it will clear itself, but it would be nice to see if the computer saved any codes.

Also...I recently installed Vessel View Mobile and am having a tough time getting it to work. After I try a terminal resistor I apparently need and if it still doesn't work, Mercury says I may need to have a dealer get into one of the computers and change it from a starboard engine to a port engine so the information being received by the Vessel View module from each engine doesn't conflict. Apparently an easy change, but got to get into the computers to do it.

Since it's a long way from where I keep the boat to a dealer, I'd like to get the diagnostic tools for my own use. If I'm going to pop for that, I'd like to just get the "full" version that would allow me to do what a dealer does.

What's out there for those of us who would like to do this stuff ourselves?

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have to be a dealer to get the newer software that runs from a laptop. Think it was $2400 plus an annual update fee when they switched from DDT. Someone like Paul OD1 probably knows the latest and greatest. I bought mine new on eBay about 10 years ago for $600, I just checked eBay and there are couple of used ones for a grand. Not trying to steer you that way because I'll say again its been a long time since I used mine and cant remember what its capabilities are.

HST4ME

Reaction score
The Rinda works well, and check the water pressure sender.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
You should be using mercury cds g3

Do you have the proper scanning tools, Shane? I imagine you do. If I can't figure something out, I could consider bringing the boat up to you on the weekend of the 21st if you're around. Kind of a long drive though...

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Mercury CDS G3 is typically considered for Merc dealer use only via dealer numbers, phone numbers, registering/validations every 45 days, etc.... 8M0098656....
What is CDS G3?.. CDS G3 is a standalone PC‑based program that complements the original Mercury Computer Diagnostic System (CDS) by providing diagnostic support for select engines and Mercury Joystick Piloting systems. Additionally, all configuration functions necessary for preparing these systems for delivery are supported. CDS G3 allows for CAN‑based multiple‑processor communication through a clean, easy‑to‑navigate interface.

Diagnostics:
Diagnostics allows access to diagnostic functions that enable the user to perform operations like injector test, spark test, setting engine location, cylinder misfire test, etc. These tests are initiated by CDS G3, but are controlled by the ECM/PCM.

Set Engine Location: This feature allows the user to view or change the current engine location. Changing the engine location is necessary when setting up a multiengine boat. Because this is a configuration feature, and not a test, this procedure will eventually be moved to the Configuration section.

The Rinda Technologies Hand-Held TechMate Pro Scanner Tool Now Supports Mercury G3, MerCruiser G3 & Mercury Racing G3 Engine Diagnostics Thru 2017! http://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm

The TechMate Pro should help narrow down most issues that sound the warning horn but I don't believe it will help you configure from starboard to port engine.....A call to http://www.rinda.com/company.htm should help you better with engine configuration questions though as they are generally pretty up-to-date on their tech advice.

All that mentioned, what year is your engines?
Is the boat already set up with -- (or did you install mercruiser junction boxes for your new vessel view mobile?) -- digital throttle and shift using command modules mounted up under the helm area, smart craft gauges, digital ignition key, etc. using existing junction boxes?.... How sure are you the two engines are set-up/rigged to communicate with each other normally ?

If you haven't yet maybe try video searching "Mercruiser vessel view mobile installation" to see if they help any.
VesselView Mobile: How to install with junction box at helm (SmartCraft capable engine)

Posting your engine serial numbers may help certain members here help you out a little bit better as well.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Mercury CDS G3 is typically considered for Merc dealer use only via dealer numbers, phone numbers, registering/validations every 45 days, etc.... 8M0098656....

The Rinda Technologies Hand-Held TechMate Pro Scanner Tool Now Supports Mercury G3, MerCruiser G3 & Mercury Racing G3 Engine Diagnostics Thru 2017! http://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm

The TechMate Pro should help narrow down most issues that sound the warning horn but I don't believe it will help you configure from starboard to port engine.....A call to http://www.rinda.com/company.htm should help you better with engine configuration questions though as they are generally pretty up-to-date on their tech advice.

All that mentioned, what year is your engines?
Is the boat already set up with -- (or did you install mercruiser junction boxes for your new vessel view mobile?) -- digital throttle and shift using command modules mounted up under the helm area, smart craft gauges, digital ignition key, etc. using existing junction boxes?.... How sure are you the two engines are set-up/rigged to communicate with each other normally ?

If you haven't yet maybe try video searching "Mercruiser vessel view mobile installation" to see if they help any.
VesselView Mobile: How to install with junction box at helm (SmartCraft capable engine)

Posting your engine serial numbers may help certain members here help you out a little bit better as well.

My engines are 2005, I believe. Serial numbers 0W040025 and 0W035896. Since they have mechanical controls and no smart craft gauges, I had to install junction boxes for the Vessel View Mobile to work and that is the only purpose the junction boxes serve at this time. I did this under the helm along with 30' CAN data harnesses from the engines, CAN link, Dual Engine Adapter, and the Vessel View module adapter. It's done right as I worked with Mercury through several phone calls to make sure everything was good. The only thing I'm missing is the terminal resistor weather cap with the yellow tab on it. My engines only had the regular purple weather caps on the CAN data harness. Mercury says I need that weather cap with the terminal resistor on it, which I have on order now. If the Vessel View doesn't work after that, they say the only thing left is to configure one of the engines to identify as a port engine.

I honestly don't know how changing one of the engines to port would matter. In the app, you must specify which engine serial number is the port and which one is starboard. Also, the Vessel View Mobile has the ability to handle up to quad engine applications, so the app must have a way to differentiate between engines regardless of if they are set to port or starboard. In the quad engine example, only two options for which side an engine could be, but four engines...how would that work?

The engine alarm is another story. 50/50 on whether or not that will clear itself. Engines ran all day without a problem and it was on the last run the alarm showed up with no decrease in performance. In any case, I'd like to be able to plug into it and see what the problem is. Even better if I can get a hold of something that would show me that as well as allow me to make changes a dealer would make (starboard to port, for example).

It's just a long way from where I keep the boat to any dealer. Best to have as much capability as possible in whatever tool I end up getting.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I have the Diacom and with the right module will do what you need!..reset codes...Plus tell you everything else happen'n and then some! ;)

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Thanks for the catch up/detailed info for how your engine/boat rigging is set up, helps give a visual of where you're at. Sounds like you're on the right track with the help of Merc service support for the vessel view system at least....If you can get the system working correctly then it may also help give you some indication of why the warning horn started sounding.

I'm sure you methodology went through all the beginning setups when you first fired up the vessel view system such as you keyed on both engines in order to recognize each system....That mentioned I "think" some of the newer systems recognize what engine was turned on/keyed up "first" - 'in-turn possibly making that a master engine vs a slave engine. If that's a case, do you happen to recall what engine side you keyed on first which may be hindering proper performance.

^ If not a case then you maybe interested to know that at least back in the beginning of smart craft creation for sure and I believe this to still be true that all engines leave the factory as starboard engine as the main master while port is a slave engine which might seem a little odd as you'll note some of the info below from a manual that the vessel view system displays engines from left to right in the same order as their physical locations, port to starboard.......

11. Question: Is the ECM on the OptiMax set to Starboard when we receive them?
Answer: Yes. All engines leave the factory set for a Starboard installation. The System Monitor is also set to Starboard. If the engine setup is a dual application with a single trunk line, both the Port engine and Monitor must be set to Port. The engine is changed with the DDT.

Engine Setup
After a full system reset, or when VesselView is first installed without an OEM/dealer‑supplied personality file, the product will
use a default setup based on what it discovers by querying the SmartCraft protocol for the engine and drive type. You can also
manually select the engine type, malfunction indicator lamp, and the number of engines

Display Setup
The display setup screen enables you to choose where the data for each engine is displayed on VesselView. Typically, the
engines are displayed left to right in the same order as their physical locations, port to starboard. Some helm configurations
may require different display settings. If you choose to display only one engine in a multi‑engine application, VesselView
displays the collective data such as total fuel flow and range for all engines, but displays engine specific data for only the
engine selected for that display.

Press the arrow button to highlight which engine is to be displayed, and press enter. The following is a description of what
may be available, depending on the number of engines:

NONE

STBD

PORT

STBDCNTR (triples and quads)

PORTCNTR (quads only) ...<^ This might help with one of your latest questions regarding quad engines, etc. as it's all in the initial setup.
Press the arrow button to highlight Next to continue to device setup.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/818266/Mercury-Vesselview-4.html?page=12#manual

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Thanks for the catch up/detailed info for how your engine/boat rigging is set up, helps give a visual of where you're at. Sounds like you're on the right track with the help of Merc service support for the vessel view system at least....If you can get the system working correctly then it may also help give you some indication of why the warning horn started sounding.

I'm sure you methodology went through all the beginning setups when you first fired up the vessel view system such as you keyed on both engines in order to recognize each system....That mentioned I "think" some of the newer systems recognize what engine was turned on/keyed up "first" - 'in-turn possibly making that a master engine vs a slave engine. If that's a case, do you happen to recall what engine side you keyed on first which may be hindering proper performance.

^ If not a case then you maybe interested to know that at least back in the beginning of smart craft creation for sure and I believe this to still be true that all engines leave the factory as starboard engine as the main master while port is a slave engine which might seem a little odd as you'll note some of the info below from a manual that the vessel view system displays engines from left to right in the same order as their physical locations, port to starboard.......

11. Question: Is the ECM on the OptiMax set to Starboard when we receive them?
Answer: Yes. All engines leave the factory set for a Starboard installation. The System Monitor is also set to Starboard. If the engine setup is a dual application with a single trunk line, both the Port engine and Monitor must be set to Port. The engine is changed with the DDT.

Engine Setup
After a full system reset, or when VesselView is first installed without an OEM/dealer‑supplied personality file, the product will
use a default setup based on what it discovers by querying the SmartCraft protocol for the engine and drive type. You can also
manually select the engine type, malfunction indicator lamp, and the number of engines

Display Setup
The display setup screen enables you to choose where the data for each engine is displayed on VesselView. Typically, the
engines are displayed left to right in the same order as their physical locations, port to starboard. Some helm configurations
may require different display settings. If you choose to display only one engine in a multi‑engine application, VesselView
displays the collective data such as total fuel flow and range for all engines, but displays engine specific data for only the
engine selected for that display.

Press the arrow button to highlight which engine is to be displayed, and press enter. The following is a description of what
may be available, depending on the number of engines:

NONE

STBD

PORT

STBDCNTR (triples and quads)

PORTCNTR (quads only) ...<^ This might help with one of your latest questions regarding quad engines, etc. as it's all in the initial setup.
Press the arrow button to highlight Next to continue to device setup.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/818266/Mercury-Vesselview-4.html?page=12#manual

Since my keys are aligned from left to right, I know I keyed on the port engine and then the starboard engine. Didn't try it the opposite way. Based on other forms and information I've read, it really seems like that terminal resistor is the problem. If not, then I guess I'll have to take the thing to a dealer and have them set the port engine as the port engine. Really would love to do that on my own though.

In the information you've got above, what is a "trunk" line? You'd think that if the Vessel View Mobile made use of a single "trunk" line, the documentation I've been working off of from Mercury to configure this thing would say somewhere that it would be necessary to change one of the engines from starboard to port. No mention of that anywhere.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I have the Diacom and with the right module will do what you need!..reset codes...Plus tell you everything else happen'n and then some! ;)

It doesn't allow you to make changes to engine configurations like from a starboard engine to a port engine, does it?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Trunk line is just another wording Mercruiser used awhile ago which would be for the CAN Bus cable/line between the engine and helm typically blue in color.

single trunk line.
Two separate, blue, harnesses are used for each engine (two trunk lines)

Trunkline meaning
trunk line. n. 1. (Telecommunications) a direct link between two telephone exchanges or switchboards that are a considerable distance apart. 2. (Railways) the main route or routes on a railway.

Well this seems new, you could rent a marine scan tool from someone out of FL if desired, https://www.ebay.com/itm/RENTAL-Ple...ash=item362d282c85:g:gBgAAOSwmblZxppQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/496-mag-double-beep-alarm.173809/

Hope the terminal resistor helps.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Trunk line is just another wording Mercruiser used awhile ago which would be for the CAN Bus cable/line between the engine and helm typically blue in color.

Trunkline meaning
trunk line. n. 1. (Telecommunications) a direct link between two telephone exchanges or switchboards that are a considerable distance apart. 2. (Railways) the main route or routes on a railway.

Well this seems new, you could rent a marine scan tool from someone out of FL if desired, https://www.ebay.com/itm/RENTAL-Ple...ash=item362d282c85:g:gBgAAOSwmblZxppQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/496-mag-double-beep-alarm.173809/

Hope the terminal resistor helps.

No trunk line here then, I don't think. I pulled one cable per engine up to the helm and each goes to its own junction box. the only place the two separate systems come into one is on the dual engine adapter after the junction boxes and the CAN link that goes between the junction boxes.