WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is this!, and a photo of a project I did a few years ago.

rrrr

Reaction score
Well, actually, it was more than a few years.

I was digging through some old files and found this red tag from a City of Dallas electrical inspector, issued in January 2000. I've saved it all these years because it still makes me laugh when I see it.

The tag was issued at a data center I was building in the Infomart, a 1.5 million square foot building which was one of the first "colocation hotels" in Dallas. It had started out in the 80s as a technology center, with showcase offices for many large clients like Exxon/Mobil, Hewlett Packard, IBM, etc., and by 2000 it was being repurposed as primarily a data center property. I built out about 150,000 SF of data center space in the building, with the individual data centers having roughly 10 Mw electrical services along with several 2 Mw gensets and several Mw of UPS capacity.

Since then the building has been maxed out, and was sold for $800 million in 2018. Last week Equinix Data Centers announced they are building a new $140 million structure in the Infomart's parking area, which will mimic the original design and contain 100% data center space.

Anyway, my electrical contractor had installed some temporary runs of 1100 KCMIL DLO cable to power up a data center space under construction, because the 4160V automatic transfer switches were delayed in shipping, and we had to light up the space so hardware installation could begin. The temporary work was a little too primitive for the inspector's taste. It was pretty funny when it was found on the front door of the space.

😁 😁

49589762028_df3677706e_c.jpg

I went looking for some photos of the Infomart to see if there were any online of work that I did.

I found this photo. In 2000, my company built out two 15,000 SF data centers in the building. Each data center had about 300 tons of dedicated computer room A/C units, and they used a glycol loop for heat rejection. I did the engineering and design of the two big drycooler platforms in the foreground, and my CAD operators created the structural drawings. I contracted with a steel fabricator in Houston to build the platforms. After fabrication, all of the steel was hot dip galvanized. The platforms were shipped to Dallas, and we set them on the roof with a 350 ton mobile crane, Both platforms were completed without any field rework, they were connected to the existing steel columns just under the roofing with a bolted splice plate connection.

49589960003_025c9faacb_c.jpg

Infomart Wiki page:

The Infomart is one of the largest buildings in Dallas, Texas (USA). It is the world's first and only information processing marketing center.[1]

It is located at 1950 N. Stemmons Freeway in the Market Center neighborhood between Oak Lawn and Interstate 35E near downtown. It is served by DART's Market Center Station.

History
The $85 million Infomart was opened as part of Trammell Crow's Dallas Market Center in 1985 on the site of the P.C. Cobb Stadium.[2] It was built to serve the needs of information technology companies and provide an environment that would stimulate growth. After several years as a permanent trade show for information technology vendors, the building was sold in 1999 and 2006.[3] The building was purchased by ASB Real Estate and currently serves as a technology office and data center, home to more than 110 technology and telecommunications companies.[4] The property and management team were recently merged with another Data Center operator, Fortune Data Centers, to create a national operator. The combined entity will operate under the name Infomart Data Centers.

In the 1980s and early 1990s, Infomart hosted combined monthly meetings of many Dallas-area computer user groups, including those for the Apple II, Atari 8-bit family, Atari ST, and Commodore Amiga.

In April 2018, ASB sold the Infomart building and their data centers located in the building to Equinix Inc for $800 million.

On February 20, 2020, Equinix Data Centers announced they intend to construct a new data center building in the parking lot area of the Infomart, with an estimated construction cost of $140 million.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Pretty interesting. The computing power heat needed to be cool from then until now has been reduced many fold. Hard to believe we need so much more but it is needed. I can only now wonder what the cost of re-roofing under that mess would be.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've worked on a few "phone company" buildings that had cooling setups like that. Much smaller though. We'd call roofing jobs like that "Spaghetti Farms". Lots of roof penetrations, and equipment underneath worth more than we'd make in a lifetime...good money in the roofing. Almost covered the cost of the antacids you needed.

Sherpa

Reaction score
its a small world after all. my employer has some* colo space from Equinix, and we host our own sites as well.

depending on what region youre located in, it seems to be evap cooling is more prevalent now. less PUE.... however I still prefer centrifugal chillers and the reliability
they provide........... but thats not my pay grade........

data centers are now what semiconductor was prior........ CASH PRINTING MACHINES.!

--Sherpa
little fish in a big pond.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I wish I had pictures of the century Link facility in San Luis Obispo that I used to work on. They had roughly 600 tons of cooling on that building that were installed and NEVER EVEN USED! Now the heat loads are so much less that it made more financial sense to install 4-10 ton split systems than to even just fire up 1 of the Trane centrifugal chillers.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@rrrr , how much wire and piping goes into something like that? Linear feet used to measure, or just skip to miles :oops:

rrrr

Reaction score
Pretty interesting. The computing power heat needed to be cool from then until now has been reduced many fold. Hard to believe we need so much more but it is needed. I can only now wonder what the cost of re-roofing under that mess would be.

There's almost 4' clearance between the roof and the steel grating deck. The roof is EPDM or something similar with gravel ballast, so a new roof wouldn't be a big deal.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There's almost 4' clearance between the roof and the steel grating deck. The roof is EPDM or something similar with gravel ballast, so a new roof wouldn't be a big deal.
"Big deal" is a relevant term...I've vacuumed rock roofs, and run sweepers. I have never worked with a midget that could fit underneath the walk decks. A long time ago I learned it isn't the footage of roof to be replaced, it's the obstacles in getting it done. I see that one getting an SPF reroof. Much easier to spray around and under stuff. I don't know how popular they are out that way, but hand "welding" or bonding all the jacks for penetrations would suck. At least a lot of them would be in the shade though ;)

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Back in early-mid 2000’s I worked helped install a massive amount of power for this little start up called RagingWire. We did most of the power for their Sacramento “Colonic” Campus’:p The place was always a ZOO! They had insane power and cooling requirements for their data centers and were such a “rage” no pun intended, that we were planning or working on power distribution for their 2nd & 3rd facilities before the 1st was even complete. I think they kinda hit the Bigtime...

Sherpa

Reaction score
I wish I had pictures of the century Link facility in San Luis Obispo that I used to work on. They had roughly 600 tons of cooling on that building that were installed and NEVER EVEN USED! Now the heat loads are so much less that it made more financial sense to install 4-10 ton split systems than to even just fire up 1 of the Trane centrifugal chillers.

I worked for centurylink for 3 years......... it wasn't great, however it was my entry to datacenters. my experience prior was robotics and automated material handling systems for semiconductor wafer fab (Intel D2 Fab in Santa Clara).. RNB office building tied to it. It's Intel's world headquarters.
16 of the best working years ever..

as fir centurylink, it was ok. when Cyxtera bought the data center division, it got worse...... never knew we had a DC in SLO.

--Sherpa

Sherpa

Reaction score
Back in early-mid 2000’s I worked helped install a massive amount of power for this little start up called RagingWire. We did most of the power for their Sacramento “Colonic” Campus’:p The place was always a ZOO! They had insane power and cooling requirements for their data centers and were such a “rage” no pun intended, that we were planning or working on power distribution for their 2nd & 3rd facilities before the 1st was even complete. I think they kinda hit the Bigtime...
Ragingwire pays shit wages...........

heard the owner is a complete douche.

never met the guy though.

--Sherpa

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I worked for centurylink for 3 years......... it wasn't great, however it was my entry to datacenters. my experience prior was robotics and automated material handling systems for semiconductor wafer fab (Intel D2 Fab in Santa Clara).. RNB office building tied to it. It's Intel's world headquarters.
16 of the best working years ever..

as fir centurylink, it was ok. when Cyxtera bought the data center division, it got worse...... never knew we had a DC in SLO.

--Sherpa
It's not a data center. I can't really publicly say what it is I will say it is near the coastal data trunk line though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It's not a data center. I can't really publicly say what it is I will say it is near the coastal data trunk line though.

Hmmm, couldn't possibly be Tha Man...
Oh wait, yes it could...

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Ragingwire pays shit wages...........

heard the owner is a complete douche.

never met the guy though.

--Sherpa
IDK the owner either, but I agree with you on shit wages, cause me and my coworkers and the contractor we worked for got paid a Shit Ton of Union wages and OT.....:cool: