WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is this and how much to fix?

probablecause

Reaction score
What is this and how much to fix? 2005 F250, Right Rear Wheel.

Attachments

• InkedTruckLeak_LI.jpg
    InkedTruckLeak_LI.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 482

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
A leaking seal. But seals leak because something else is wrong, most likely in this case wheel bearings. That's why it needs to be looked at ASAP.
Just did this job on a Chevy 1 ton, had to buy a new hub assembly and bearings, parts alone at jobber cost were around $500. I figure a shop could
do it in 3 hours. I took two days.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I am going to guess axle shaft seal. I would probably do both sides while I was doing it along with wheel bearings, etc. Not a big job with the right tools. How many miles on the truck?

Justfishing

Reaction score
Really depends on what is wrong. Many times seals go because the bearing is gone. Then there is where the seal rides on the axle and a new axle may be needed.

The differential cover has to come off. New diff lube, gaskets and seals at minimum. May be worth it to change bearings. Not hard to do.

outboard_256

Reaction score

I would just assume wheel bearings and seals and if anything else obviously wrong when its apart. Do both sides and you will be good for another 140k miles. Would hate for you to do just the seal and have it leak in 10k miles or only do one side and the other start leaking not long after.

probablecause

Reaction score
Can I change the gear ratio on the rear without the 4x4 front or do I have to do them both

probablecause

Reaction score
I would just assume wheel bearings and seals and if anything else obviously wrong when its apart. Do both sides and you will be good for another 140k miles. Would hate for you to do just the seal and have it leak in 10k miles or only do one side and the other start leaking not long after.
I agree with you 100%. We are already knuckles keep in surgery

outboard_256

Reaction score
Can I change the gear ratio on the rear without the 4x4 front or do I have to do them both

you have to do them both. Other wise the transfer case will fight itself to death with the different output speeds of the front shaft vs rear shaft.