WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What kind of pizza do you like?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the best for anybody, but the Naci and The Dragon at Rock 'N' Robles at Lake Nacimiento are some of the best pizzas I've ever had. I'm pretty sure @g.faulk will agree

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Antonio’s in Avalon thin crust with bacon and pineapple.
I’d never order it that way until a local brought a couple into the Marlin Club.

MFSOB Good.

BONER

Reaction score
Pizza is like the Vag. Worst I've ever had was pretty good...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Home Made!
Roll out your dough and pinch the edges.
Coat the pinched edges with the oil from a jar of sun dried tomatoes.
Sprinkle garlic salt on the oily edges.
Apply your handmade sauce from your home grown tomatoes, home grown basil and standard flavorings.
Top with mozzarella and fontina.
Dump on spicy italian sausage.
Pepperoni.
Sun dried tomato bits.
Chopped artichoke hearts
Add Mexican four cheese blend.
Add pancetta (italian bacon bits)
Add chopped black olives.
Add garlic clove shavings
Sprinkle on Romano and Parmesan.
Add a few grinds of black pepper
Top with crumbled feta.
Bake in the smoky hot oven for 4 minutes with a deck temperature of just under 600 degrees.
Throw out a handfull of cornmeal on the cooking deck.
Slide in Pizza and rotate often.

Pizza (6).jpg
Richard and a pizza.jpg

You can cook other thing in there too!
Pizza Oven (1).jpg
Chickens, lamb roast, and a ham.

Attachments

• pizza (1).jpg
    pizza (1).jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 40

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Home Made!
Apply your handmade sauce from your home grown tomatoes, home grown basil and standard flavorings.
Pepperoni.
Sun dried tomato bits.
Chopped artichoke hearts
Top with crumbled feta.
Bake in the smoky hot oven for 4 minutes with a deck temperature of just under 600 degrees.

View attachment 821641 View attachment 821642

You can cook other thing in there too! View attachment 821643 Chickens, lamb roast, and a ham.

Although those aren’t my flavors, the process is spot on!

Next week I think I’ll start a homemade pizza thread.
I don’t have a brick oven, but I do them on my Traeger at between 450-500 degrees...depending on how it’s working that day.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Chicago Fire is a small chain here in the Sac area that can throw down a pie........
They have a two layer job that I get as a "stockyard" that is phenomenal.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Home Made!
Pepperoni.
Sun dried tomato bits.
Chopped artichoke hearts
Top with crumbled feta.

View attachment 821641 View attachment 821642

You can cook other thing in there too! View attachment 821643 Chickens, lamb roast, and a ham.

i need a good crust recipe that doesn't stick to the peel when I try to slide into my egg.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Pizza is my favorite food! There was a place in Prescott on White Spar in the pines, Papa’s I think, one of the better ones I’ve ever had. Here in So Cal, Romano’s in downtown Redlands is very good. Warehouse in La Verne is good, too. I don’t think found “the best” yet so I’ll keep searching :p

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
i need a good crust recipe that doesn't stick to the peel when I try to slide into my egg.

We typically use the dough from Trader Joe's. They're only $2.00. Add flour and corn meal. Corn meal on the peal is key. Like ball bearings. Don't let the dough sit on the peel too long. It absorbs into the dough and makes it stick. More corn meal on the stone too.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hands down best pizza ice ever had is from petrillos in san gabriel. Been going there since i was a kid and 40+ years later still havent found a pizza that even comes close.

my parents dated going to that location. We hit up the one in Glendora from time to time. We usually buy from the location in upland they used to own and sold the rights to the current owners.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
He’ll no, had a previous Italian Girlfriend. One thing about all these ethnic girls, they know how to cook. I don’t have a figure like GRADS. Gotta watch that shit.
WTF does that mean?

cofooter

Reaction score
Best pizza I ever had was a deep dish pizza at a greasy pizza shop down by the lake in Chicago. Forget the name, only been to Chicago once, but damn was that a great pizza.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I have been know to make some home made pizza here and there. These i made with almond flour pizza crust.

Pizza.jpg

Pizza1.jpg

Pizza2.jpg

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Sonny’s is good. Tony’s Little Italy in Placentia is really good too. Ginas in Laguna or Irvine.

Sonny’s in San Clemente is mediocre at best......at worst its cardboard.....has been for 30 years. Try Surfside Pizza (down by DMV in San Clemente), the very best in South OC, with anything you want on it. I like pepperoni, black olives, Italian sausage and mushrooms.

The owner (Kenny) used to run Stuft Pizza in San Clemente. He delivers.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Red West, Rosati's, Papa Leone's in that order for basic pizza. For a "weird" pizza, it's the chicken ranch from Rizzo's.

infield

Reaction score
Gambinos. It is a midwest deal. Franchised places always in a building that housed something previously or maybe some strip mall. Best crust ever and the dessert pizza is unbelievable.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Marri’s Pizza in Long Beach in the ‘80’s is the best I’ve ever had...Apparently they have moved from their downtown location to somewhere on the outskirts???...

... I highly recommend staying away from Little Toni’s in North Hollywood couple of weeks ago...mediocre pizza mediocre spaghetti and meatballs and the worst service I’ve ever had...And that only cost $75:eek:

NicPaus

Reaction score
...Marri’s Pizza in Long Beach in the ‘80’s is the best I’ve ever had...Apparently they have moved from their downtown location to somewhere on the outskirts???...

... I highly recommend staying away from Little Toni’s in North Hollywood couple of weeks ago...mediocre pizza mediocre spaghetti and meatballs and the worst service I’ve ever had...And that only cost $75:eek:

I picked up 11 pizzas and a few salads for my Grandma's 95th in September and 7 Pizzas and salad last trip few weeks ago for my nephews 3rd. Bomb pizza. Its around the block from one of my Sisters. Parking sucks but the owner has me park in front for pickup.
Screenshot_20191202-222044_Chrome.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Haven't had a really good pizza since I quit King Arthur's in 1969.:D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
probably Chicago Fire in Roseville

stayed in Sac this weekend - tried Chicago Fire.

This is about 80% authentic -

Better than most who have not a clue. I enjoyed the pie - but its not equal to Lous, Ginos, Unos dues, and certainly not equal to Pequods.

The good it took a full 42 minutes from order to get so they got that part right. NY pies fly out in 10 minutes.
The crust snapped in the center
The thickness of the side was correct.
It was built upside down correctly but not enough base layer cheese

CF diverged from the real deal in a few ways

1. crust is too thick at the base of the L in the pan out to about 1.5 inches

2. Susage is chunks and not a full layer

3. Cheese should be an entire discreet layer.

3. Tomatoes didn't seem crushed but more like sauce

Maybe I needed to order the "Abe Froman" to get a more authentic pie, but I wanted to see what you get with what they consider the base pie.

UD

IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
In Havasu , El Padrino, hands down ! In the south end of Havasu

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Usually preferred thin crust, no olives or fishy shit, everything else I could eat. Never was a fan of half baked deep dish dough, even before I quit carbs.
There are a few cauliflower dough pizzas that are pretty decent, the good ones turn out to be most like thin crust.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hands down best pizza ice ever had is from petrillos in san gabriel. Been going there since i was a kid and 40+ years later still havent found a pizza that even comes close.

This man knows what he is talking about...

Still have some in the fridge from the weekend. Yum.

There is one in Glendora as well. ;)

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Kiwi on top seems gross.

Lets look at a more authentic chicago pie than CF

This is from Hollywood pies - and is about a 95% accurate pie.

Notice the cheese in an entire layer- as is the pepperoni.
Crust is thinner and there is no hint of sponge.
(This was meatball so I didn't expect a layer of sausage)

The L at the wall of the pie is much thinner than CF's, but still a hair too thick but the rest of the pie is spot on.

UD

IMG_7233.jpg

EBT531

Reaction score
Kiwi on top seems gross.

Lets look at a more authentic chicago pie than CF

This is from Hollywood pies - and is about a 95% accurate pie.

Notice the cheese in an entire layer- as is the pepperoni.
Crust is thinner and there is no hint of sponge.
(This was meatball so I didn't expect a layer of sausage)

The L at the wall of the pie is much thinner than CF's, but still a hair too thick but the rest of the pie is spot on.

UD

View attachment 836676

I'll be in the area this week. Will have to give it a shot

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
I’d never order it that way until a local brought a couple into the Marlin Club.

MFSOB Good.

Unfortunately, I heard they will be closing. Big Olafs (ice cream) is already gone........
Things seem to be changing a bit on the island

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
FF6DFF6D-E672-4024-8411-A710746198DC.jpeg
BD84A935-CA41-414A-90AC-C02396D05EF7.jpeg
For a chain, Lou Malnatis, otherwise Vito and Nicks by Midway airport. True Chgo style bar where everyone still drink Old Style, they only accept cash and the pizza is a delicious thin crust. I haven't found anything decent in AZ.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
D’Agostino’s, on Addison. Couple blocks west of Wrigley. The Old Style was at a bar around the corner. Can’t remember which one, we went in all of em

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

MFSOB Good.

I have yet to have a pizza from Antonio's that I did not like... great pizza for sure!

I also heard they might be closing. Honestly the "island group" and the California conservatory is running all of the good things of avalon out. The locals are all closing shop as the island group takes over(running them out in reality) its actually pretty sad.. the island group will ruin that little town and then blame it on someone else!!

River Runnin

Reaction score
Best Pizza in Parker Az. is La Piazza -- BBQ Chicken pizza and the best wings anywhere we've tried!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
upload_2020-1-20_19-10-35.jpeg

Uncle Tony's..East Providence. RI Now lock this thread...........there is no other!!:D

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Lit
I have yet to have a pizza from Antonio's that I did not like... great pizza for sure!

I also heard they might be closing. Honestly the "island group" and the California conservatory is running all of the good things of avalon out. The locals are all closing shop as the island group takes over(running them out in reality) its actually pretty sad.. the island group will ruin that little town and then blame it on someone else!!

little Antonio’s will supposedly stay open. But the main one near the beach is on borrowed time. We have family that live there. Sad indeed........

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Lit

little Antonio’s will supposedly stay open. But the main one near the beach is on borrowed time. We have family that live there. Sad indeed........

We also have family on the island. My wife's stepmom was born and raised on the island and one of her boys still lives there. We go for 7-10days every Christmas

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
We also have family on the island. My wife's stepmom was born and raised on the island and one of her boys still lives there. We go for 7-10days every Christmas

I have a brother-in-law that was born and raised on the island. He moved a couple of years ago, after retiring. Worked for the same place over 45 years, since graduating from high school. You don’t hear about that happening much anymore!
I’m sure they would know each other......

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I have a brother-in-law that was born and raised on the island. He moved a couple of years ago, after retiring. Worked for the same place over 45 years, since graduating from high school. You don’t hear about that happening much anymore!
I’m sure they would know each other......
Your screen name is probably the best one on here.:cool: