WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What made you smile this week?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A Former German POW lives in our neighborhood and still on occasional evenings walks by our house. It's been sometime since I've seen him. 99 years old. Immigrated to the US and became an exec with Benz.

Captured in Africa, sent to the US/Arizona and post war worked a citrus farm not too far from where he lives today. "We were well treated in the camp, even paid for our work" he once told me.

I got to wondering what became of him and I'll be damned that same week he and his son walked by. I was glad to see him. Made me smile.

He asked about our cat that tapped out at the end of his life cycle some time ago. Meiko the cat, renown by all the neighbors took care of the rodent and dive bombing birds for a half block in either direction of our home. Always returned home happy and well fed.

My dad just turned 99 and still cooks and makes the most awesome salads and spaghetti sauce. He reloads shells my wife collects while picking up trash around campsites. The last of the living WW2.
Dad has an awesome upstairs outdoor deck near the American River and still hosts a weekly WW2 and Korea veteran lunch. Theirs but a few left.
Much younger veterans nicknamed The Better Angels assist all the old Veterans with food deliveries, house repairs-runs to the doctor-check on them twice a day and so on.

Dad had retina surgery yesterday and it went perfect.

Anything make you smile recently?

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have a huge Coyote population in our area. Not a problem unless you have small pets that go beyond the family dogs protection.
So our cat is strictly indoor. That cat means a lot to the kids and the wife.

I’d be mopping the kitchen floor and there, sitting outside the glass on the patio is the cat watching the birds.
How’d she get out,,,,,,, yet again?

I was washing the window behind the bushes and discovered this:

426d3458-6eaf-4eb1-9656-d3e01488a822-jpeg.53320

That weasel makes me smile.

nameisbond

Reaction score
My pup Bella makes me smile everyday. She has a bad habit of going under the porch. The people who lived here before me must have had a dog. Bella always finds a dog toy or ball under there. Every time she comes out with a new prize, it makes me laugh. She found an old tennis ball this morning. Last night was a Nerf football.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
A Former German POW lives in our neighborhood and still on occasional evenings walks by our house. It's been sometime since I've seen him. 99 years old. Immigrated to the US and became an exec with Benz.

Captured in Africa, sent to the US and worked a citrus farm not too far from where he lives today. "We were well treated in the camp, even paid for our work" he once told me.

I got to wondering what became of him and I'll be damned that same week he and his son walked by. I was glad to see him. Made me smile.

He asked about our cat that tapped out at the end of his life cycle some time ago. Meiko the cat, renown by all the neighbors took care of the rodent and dive bombing birds for a half block in either direction of our home. Always returned home happy and well fed.

My dad just turned 99 and still cooks and makes the most awesome salads and spaghetti sauce. The last of the living WW2.
Dad has an awesome upstairs outdoor deck on the American River and still hosts a weekly WW2 and Korea veteran lunch. Theirs but a few left.
Much younger veterans nicknamed The Better Angels assist all the old Veterans with food deliveries, house repairs- check on them twice a day and so on.

Dad had retina surgery yesterday and it went perfect.

Anything make you smile recently?

Those stories made me smile. Thank u for sharing

nameisbond

Reaction score
Oh, I saw a doc on the captured Germans by the Canadians and British in WWII. We were closer to Britain in those days, so we took the Germans captured by the British to Canada. We put them to work and paid them. Since there was nowhere to escape to. We gave them passes to leave jail and spend the money they earned in the town near the POW camps. After the war most of the prisoners immigrated to Canada.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Lots of things to be grateful for you just need to take a few moments to think about them and that should bring a smile to your face. In this time where there are many things trying to steal our happiness I think it's important to do this.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Things that bring a smile this week: Shopping's done, kids are healthy, wife is too, my brother in law and his girl are making the 7hr drive Christmas day after his shift...a family Christmas with an uncle and aunt, kids are excited. Lots of stuff I can't remember, but pretty happy with the simple stuff!

Water Romper

Reaction score
RDP, Jameson and knowing the Hallmark Christmas movies will be over in 4 days. ...But then, a German Prison camp? I'm smiling that thank god that poor guy is alive in the USA and what I assume is happy. Insert "perspective" here

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Spent today with my daughter...

Walked all around Hobby Lobby and bought LOTS of presents!

Went to Honey Baked Hams and scored a 7lb ham for Christmas day.

Went got sushi and took it home for the clan.

Decorated a Christmas tree and now sitting by the fireplace.

Was smiling all day today! Being retired Fucking rules!!!

500bbc

Reaction score
A neighborhood secret Santa that left a bag of homemade Christmas sweets on our porch that are top shelf. There's a last name on the gift tag.

Don't know the name but I WILL track them down.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well my dad is in the hospital but feeling better. That's number one right now.

And being able to spend time with this gal. Got up early and cruised around Vegas before all the other people were out. Such an amazing town! Damn, I'm blessed and I couldn't ask for more.

20201220_093607.jpg

20201220_090655.jpg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
A neighborhood secret Santa that left a bag of homemade Christmas sweets on our porch that are top shelf. There's a last name on the gift tag.

We do this 😎never will you find us 😂we get kids to help 😉

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Wow, that is very cool. Cookies and candy take so much time to make. However, it would be tough for me to eat something I didn't know where it came from unless I lived in Pine Bluffs Wyoming or some place like that. :)

cofooter

Reaction score
Things that bring a smile this week: Shopping's done, kids are healthy, wife is too, my brother in law and his girl are making the 7hr drive Christmas day after his shift...a family Christmas with an uncle and aunt, kids are excited. Lots of stuff I can't remember, but pretty happy with the simple stuff!
Awesome, its the simple stuff that you remember, have a great Christmas and New Year!!!!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Wow, that is very cool. Cookies and candy take so much time to make. However, it would be tough for me to eat something I didn't know where it came from unless I lived in Pine Bluffs Wyoming or some place like that. :)
My wife has been making her world renowned toffee for a few weeks now, yesterday cookies, more today. All but a few pieces of it all is gifted. The amount of time and effort she puts into this just continually proves to me how beautiful of a person she is inside. I wasn't lying when I said she puts a smile on me.