WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What member spun out their Daytona in front of me today?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
WTH. There is some serious shit happening on the water today. People seem to be all fired up !!!

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
It was pretty cool in the morning. But by 11 it had a definite Holiday vibe. Since I don't do amature weekends, I bailed.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No.. middle of river, below sandbar before mouth of the river. Couple hundred feet after passing me it spun.

Everyone was ok, noone ejected, I’m sure the seats in the Daytona were soiled though. :)
Honestly, how does one do this without trying? It ain't a jetbote.

gqchris

Reaction score
No.. middle of river, below sandbar before mouth of the river. Couple hundred feet after passing me it spun.

Everyone was ok, noone ejected, I’m sure the seats in the Daytona were soiled though. :)

Did he lose his air or something? Trimmed high usually in that area!

I remember running with a DCB one time in that area with my cat. I got behind him stupidly and lost my air, holy shit. Sponsons started hunting and I soiled myself. Lesson learned!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Honestly, how does one do this without trying? It ain't a jetbote.

So.. this guy passes me going 80-90, I believe a 27’ Daytona. I know cats don’t “chine walk” but this boat was bouncing side to side on the sponsons. My wife looked at me knowing this guy was nearly out of control. My thought was “I now see how these cats barrel roll”.

So another cat is coming at him up river, Daytona makes a hard 45 degree maneuver to avoid oncoming boat, at which point I realize this is not going to end well an back off the throttle. Daytona now swerves back to avoid driving into the shore, and immediately hooks and spins.

I’m up on his boat at this point. After realizing he’s still alive he give me and another boat that stopped a thumbs up.

So I took off again and left him to his own devices.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I’m thinking they spin out when you get bow steer. Being trimmed too low or making a sharp turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m thinking they spin out when you get bow steer. Being trimmed too low or making a sharp turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looked to be trimmed too high, with too much steering input. With too much steering input a sponson dug in.. hard.

Last edited:

WildWilly

Reaction score
yesterday was as good as any holiday weekend. Coming back down from pirates around 2:30 the water was a washing machine loaded with idiots not paying attention going any direction they wanted. When I was coming out on the lake, hugging the reeds, a pontoon that had been traveling down the middle decided to make a straight 90 across the mouth towards the Cali side right across myself and another boat. I was only going about 45 figuring he'd do something stupid and barely squeezed through between him and the reeds.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Absolute shit show out there this weekend reminded me of the early 90’s I think I will leave my boat in the garage next weekend
Imagine how bad if Windsor was going full capacity.😖

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So.. this guy passes me going 80-90, I believe a 27’ Daytona. I know cats don’t “chine walk” but this boat was bouncing side to side on the sponsons. My wife looked at me knowing this guy was nearly out of control. My thought was “I now see how these cats barrel roll”.

Cats and tunnels do all kinds of "stuff" based on water, speed, turns, and available air underneath, drive height ...........

I've been in many that walked or rocked at certain speeds with certain water,
almost all have a hop period you have to drive through that no one likes to talk about (especially magazines testing them)
Some times speeding up makes it better - sometimes it makes it unrecoverable.

UD

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Have never owned or driven a Cat boat. Have my eye on a super clean low hour Warlock 22SXT Cat. Boat is loaded with all high end stuff & has been hiding in a garage in Phoenix for a few years. After reading about spinning out, digging a sponson, doing weird a shit.......I dunno.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Have never owned or driven a Cat boat. Have my eye on a super clean low hour Warlock 22SXT Cat. Boat is loaded with all high end stuff & has been hiding in a garage in Phoenix for a few years. After reading about spinning out, digging a sponson, doing weird a shit.......I dunno.

I think a lot of it is a combination people exceeding the conditions, exceeding the capacity of the equipment, and also their seat time / experience. Take it easy, do not jam 5 adults in it on a Saturday, and enjoy the boat as you get comfortable driving it. No stress.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is a combination people exceeding the conditions, exceeding the capacity of the equipment, and also their seat time / experience. Take it easy, do not jam 5 adults in it on a Saturday, and enjoy the boat as you get comfortable driving it. No stress.
I'm well past the point in my life that I have to always run on pin. I have nothing to prove or need someone to LAM. It's actually nice to see the surroundings instead of it being a blur.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Most cats at high speed are riding sponsons bow high especially if your trimmed too high. When you make a sudden turn the sponson opposite the turn wants to dig into the water as the boat leans. (Cats lean opposite of a V Bottom in a turn) This is one of the reasons they barrel roll when a dual motor cat experiences a seized engine or drive at high speed. The boat wants to make a 90 degree turn :eek:

This guy should go buy some lottery tickets. He’s one lucky fuck, lol.

traquer

Reaction score
Damn. I think I'll stick with airing out the front of my vee-bottom boat. Riding on the "pad" is enough excitement for me lol

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
That’s why if I ever buy I cat, I’ll be taking the Tres Martin course. That’s exactly the kind of stuff he teaches you: evasive maneuvers (and safe operation so you don’t get yourself in those positions anyway).

That being said, kudos to the Daytona for staying upright, could’ve been much worse.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
That’s why if I ever buy I cat, I’ll be taking the Tres Martin course. That’s exactly the kind of stuff he teaches you: evasive maneuvers (and safe operation so you don’t get yourself in those positions anyway).

That being said, kudos to the Daytona for staying upright, could’ve been much worse.
I’ve driven plenty of cats over 100 mph. Loosing control is because you were not paying attn for the speed you were going. Only dumbasses crash their boat. These guys should have their balls removed and go buy a paddle boarding or something!

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve driven plenty of cats over 100 mph. Loosing control is because you were not paying attn for the speed you were going. Only dumbasses crash their boat. These guys should have their balls removed and go buy a paddle boarding or something!
I don’t disagree, they could’ve hurt a lot of people. My comment was aimed at those who are scared to buy a cat because of situations like this. No need to be scared, a little education and head work and they can be very safe 👍🏻

702sandman

Reaction score
Since we are talking about this subject and I just bought a magic deck yesterday maybe you guys can give me some tips so I don’t make the same mistake. I’ve been a boater for 25 years and owned a 25 Daytona with a Teague 800 and several deep Vees, so I’m a confident boater but haven’t had my Daytona for 15+ years now. Never hurts to get advice of something new to me.
2F5957A7-F1AE-41B6-A17B-DE170F8DBCB9.jpeg
217962F4-C5A7-4B75-A80B-D87D076A72FD.jpeg

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Since we are talking about this subject and I just bought a magic deck yesterday maybe you guys can give me some tips so I don’t make the same mistake. I’ve been a boater for 25 years and owned a 25 Daytona with a Teague 800 and several deep Vees, so I’m a confident boater but haven’t had my Daytona for 15+ years now. Never hurts to get advice of something new to me. View attachment 877567 [ATTACHtype="full"]877568[/ATTACH]
What motor is in this?

ACS

Reaction score
Was this a 27 Daytona? They have no spray rail and are much easier to spin out. With too much trim it is easy.
I have been in one while it happened. It’s puckering to say the least.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Since we are talking about this subject and I just bought a magic deck yesterday maybe you guys can give me some tips so I don’t make the same mistake. I’ve been a boater for 25 years and owned a 25 Daytona with a Teague 800 and several deep Vees, so I’m a confident boater but haven’t had my Daytona for 15+ years now. Never hurts to get advice of something new to me. View attachment 877567 View attachment 877568
Very nice!

Icky

Reaction score
Are we including the professional racers in this statement?

Joe mama

Reaction score
Since we are talking about this subject and I just bought a magic deck yesterday maybe you guys can give me some tips so I don’t make the same mistake. I’ve been a boater for 25 years and owned a 25 Daytona with a Teague 800 and several deep Vees, so I’m a confident boater but haven’t had my Daytona for 15+ years now. Never hurts to get advice of something new to me. View attachment 877567 View attachment 877568
Very nice and great colors. I’m sure you will be enjoying the summer with that.

Backlash

Reaction score
I saw the white twin engine Skater running up and down Parker all weekend, rough and smooth water and it didn't seem to be phased by any of the water conditions. Hull design or driver's skill?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Was this a 27 Daytona? They have no spray rail and are much easier to spin out. With too much trim it is easy.
I have been in one while it happened. It’s puckering to say the least.

Yea appeared to be a 27

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
It wasn’t me!!!! Like stated above, my 27 daytona with the 496 HO doesn’t go fast enough to do any crazy stuff. This is my first boat and now on my third season with it. I find the cat to be very stable, even in pretty decent chop. Everyone who rides in my boat says it rides like a Cadillac.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I saw the white twin engine Skater running up and down Parker all weekend, rough and smooth water and it didn't seem to be phased by any of the water conditions. Hull design or driver's skill?

No idea what boat but as long as you trim down in any Skater you can crush almost any water & fly flat. We LOVE our slow 308.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Daytona’s at low speeds will have too much of the forward sponson in the water so they will grab waves and wakes and track left and right. They are a very bow heavy boat especially if you cut a hole in the deck. After 60 or so it goes away and over 70 they are the best to drive, mine hops a few times at 85 then is a pleasure to take past that, a cat that isn’t packing air at slow speed is not what the hull was engineered to do well. If you are going slow and have to make a quick evasive maneuver there is a good chance you can grab a sponson and hook.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Most cats at high speed are riding sponsons bow high especially if your trimmed too high. When you make a sudden turn the sponson opposite the turn wants to dig into the water as the boat leans. (Cats lean opposite of a V Bottom in a turn) This is one of the reasons they barrel roll when a dual motor cat experiences a seized engine or drive at high speed. The boat wants to make a 90 degree turn :eek:

This guy should go buy some lottery tickets. He’s one lucky fuck, lol.

Not trying to be mean, but not one thing in this post is right.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Are you confusing a white skater with the 30 Victory that was running Parker this weekend? I did not see a white skater but there could have been one there...Very nice boat and definitely not going to get out of shape on Parker water...

A6A6F19B-1507-4FEF-BC89-462CAF9DEEEF.jpeg

Reactions: DWC

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Are you confusing a white skater with the 30 Victory that was running Parker this weekend? I did not see a white skater but there could have been one there...Very nice boat and definitely not going to get out of shape on Parker water...

View attachment 877769
There was an all white 24 skater with twin 3.2 mercs on it, we spent Saturday at a birthday party at castle shores and it ran by a few times

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
Nope, I know my boats. There was a Skater, the Victory and several Eliminators running up and down the river. The Skater looked to be the best handling of the bunch.....but I'm biased as I love their boats. The Victory is nice and all but it looks too tall midship for the length of the boat. It is nice but not visually proportional.

BingerFang

Reaction score

View attachment 877769

I saw that boat ripping Saturday morning, such a beauty!

She's Mine

Reaction score

View attachment 877769
Andrew Price from Outboard Mafia was running Parker Saturday in his 28 Skater with twin OBs. Bad ass boat that eats up the water of Parker and Havasu easily.

This is a beautiful Victory. Hope to see it on the water soon