WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What One Car Does It All For You?

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I have my '34 Ford 3 window coupe, a 1963.5 Galaxie (390/4 speed) and 2002 C5 Corvette. Each car kind of has its own purpose and focus but every once in a while I think about consolidating down to one car that would fit all my needs.

I'm an old car guy so it would have to be a classic (1970's or older) that would handle well (like the Vette), haul ass (like the 392 Hemi powered coupe) and be a nice riding cruiser (like the Galaxie), get decent mileage and be able to do a cross country road trip.

I'm kind of leaning towards a C2 Vette or maybe metal bumper C3 with an LS and 6 speed trans, restomod but mandatory would be 15" wheels because I absolutely hate big rims and rubberband tires on old cars! :mad: :D
I would also like to have a little more interior room so maybe a gen 1 Camaro? I'm not a brand snob so I'm open to any make/model.

Trying to think of something that I would like enough to give up 3 cars in exchange for one. Sugestions?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I always used to want a 84-88 Monte SS with a TPI 406 and a 6-speed and Vette brakes and wheels, but that was before ProTouring parts and LS engines.

This is a very tough question, but something I think about all of the time.

Call me crazy but I’m over multi-computer controlled vehicles. I’m seriously thinking of building my ‘70 C10 into a daily driver with a one of my turbo 3.8L’s and a 6L80E. The only amenities would be AC, and remote doors. Cables for heat and defrost controls are fine by me.

Responses to this thread will be interesting.

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm tired of driving my F150 daily. Keeping it for off road and towing, want a car for DD duty. Leaning towards a C6 Vette. Think its the last year to look like a Vette should. It has enough modern performance to keep me happy.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The 34 3-window. Chopped, not channeled, with fenders optional. Yours is sweet.

I have wanted one since my Dad told me his glory stories of postwar SoCal and the lakes racing. I got a ride around the fairgrounds with Pete Chapouris in the Calfifornia Kid on day when we had the '40 at the Nationals in Merced in 1982. That set the hook even deeper.
Cole Cutler took me for a ride in his in Auburn, Ca, That is when I knew that I was too damn tall for a channeled car, (broke my 22 year old heart)
I have the last hot flathead my Dad built pickled, put away for that car. 1/4x1/4 stroker 59AB block, Harmon Collins Mag, choice of intakes...Thickston High rise 2 97s or 3 97s on a Offy. It has Edelbrock heads on it now but I have more goodies...probably enough for good start on another engine. Have a Merc shaft that is good to go. anyway the engine has adjustable lifters, and a hot cam and enough compression that 100 octane is required. He and Joe Reath were buddies, I listened to lots of bench racing with those two as they put that engine together in our garage.
Want to put it in a Coupe with a 5 speed and a real quick change. Rings and steelies. 56 Ford caps. Commercial headlights, dropped and drilled and chromed axle, split wishbones, hairpins.
You get it.
If I don't live long enough and cant $ together a Coupe maybe my one of my sons can.
My heart still skips a beat when I see a chopped 33-34 coupe on the road from any angle.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
My all time favorite...... 1967 Vette, 427, coupe,,4 speed, side pipes, knockoffs, marina blue with a black stinger. 👍

Found this pic.

1605492925209.jpeg

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Any modernized (aka ICON) Fj4x series Toyota Landcruiser. Linked on coil overs for a smooth ride and a modern drivetrain for power and reliability.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
For me, there is no one car. It has to sound good, and have enough umph to put me back in the seat. It has to have style, but I have diverse tastes when it comes to cars. A built flatty has a great sound, and with the right gears they'll make an old coupe or roadster pretty quick. The rumble of a 540, or a 350 with a massive cam, just fuel to the fire.
For me, the is no end all be all. Whatever car strikes me for a time. Build and drive, as money permits, and as long as it's interesting, it stays. When the interest lacks, sell to fund the next venture.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
As long as we're dreaming and spending your money and not mine, I vote for a 2door 66-67 Fairlane powered by a nice 427FE or perhaps a 427W and 3 pedals under the steering wheel. A locker out back hanging from a 4 link (although I would personally prefer leafs with traction bars for the nostalgia). Disc's all around and no bigger than 16s inside the rubbers, I like mag500s. White stripe out on the tires. Hotrod red is the way to go. Black pleated leather on the inside.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have my '34 Ford 3 window coupe, a 1963.5 Galaxie (390/4 speed) and 2002 C5 Corvette. Each car kind of has its own purpose and focus but every once in a while I think about consolidating down to one car that would fit all my needs.

I'm an old car guy so it would have to be a classic (1970's or older) that would handle well (like the Vette), haul ass (like the 392 Hemi powered coupe) and be a nice riding cruiser (like the Galaxie), get decent mileage and be able to do a cross country road trip.

I'm kind of leaning towards a C2 Vette or maybe metal bumper C3 with an LS and 6 speed trans, restomod but mandatory would be 15" wheels because I absolutely hate big rims and rubberband tires on old cars! :mad: :D
I would also like to have a little more interior room so maybe a gen 1 Camaro? I'm not a brand snob so I'm open to any make/model.

Trying to think of something that I would like enough to give up 3 cars in exchange for one. Sugestions?

A nice cruiser, but handles like a Vette...

Sounds like you want a 7 Series BMW to me.

You Could turn any A body GM car into what you want, but it will take time and Big bucks. Sure would be a very nice ride though. I've built a few.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My all time favorite...... 1967 Vette, 427, coupe,,4 speed, side pipes, knockoffs, marina blue with a black stinger. [emoji106]

Found this pic.

View attachment 943136
Minus the black stinger..... This guy would bring his Vette around somewhat frequently to my old work in Paso.....
20171122_110347.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
69 Chevelle SS 396 or i would take back my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T from high school. I am talking Daily Driver. Loved those cars..

SnoC653

Reaction score
While a split bumper big block twin turbo 70 Camaro would be nice to have again, I want something different enough that they won't see it everywhere they look. I have a 70 skylark coupe that I could see with some messaging and a built Duramax in it. Would sip fuel and run in the low 10s or high 9s without any real effort. Be different enough to invoke looks, and has that classic Chevelle muscle look with a touch of class. Throw on the GS bits and it becomes a car to be dreuled over. It would have a nice ride and can still be made to carve corners. Not to mention have usable trunk and interior space for creature comfort.

That being said, it still wouldn't be one car for every purpose I need a vehicle to meet. Good luck with your quest to find that one special elusive all purpose vehicle to do it all.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
70-73 Camaro pro touring style with the rally style wheels and a slight rake to the stance. Throw an LS in it.
My parents had a 71 Z28 dark green with black stripes. they got rid of it because a car seat wouldn’t fit in the back.
Whatever! 😩

SoCalDave

Reaction score
CTS V2 or V3 sedan (my preference) hands down.

Reactions: DWC

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Sounds like you want a 7 Series BMW to me.

I know you love beemers, but you can't be serious! He said he wants 1970's or older. A first gen 7 series BMW (late 70's) was maybe 220 hp...? How does that fit the bill?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
8DD9821C-CD69-42F4-AA03-4831B111619C.jpeg
B79286FC-C86C-4C3E-B292-E830AD20382F.jpeg

pics are a year old
My 78 year old Uncle is going to be driving his 32’ around next week. He’s had it since high school in the 50’s , has been on blocks since 1968.
265 chevy, interior redone in TJ in the 60’s
All original paint/ patina
Can’t wait to ride in it , lol
He did a full resto on his stock 56 Big window truck so he has a “clean toy”’ to drive too.
He’s owned the truck since 58’

My vote is to never have “one” car
Variety is the spice of life when it comes to toys

PlanB

Reaction score
The 427 S/C Cobra was always my dream car growing up and in 06 we bought a nice Superformance replica. If I was to add another car to the garage it would be one of their GT-40's. The Cobra is a fun car, but with the GT-40 you would get some sun protection and AC.

IMG_1788.JPG

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I know you love beemers, but you can't be serious! He said he wants 1970's or older. A first gen 7 series BMW (late 70's) was maybe 220 hp...? How does that fit the bill?

I was joking for the most part.😝

But all joking aside, there are very few cars out there that have the power and handling of a vett, yet still ride like a dream! BMW is one of the few companies that can truly pull it off. Definitely not the only one though.

As far as me loving BMW, that love Only applies to their older cars. Like pre E60 machines.

The new ones are beyond amazing from a driving standpoint, but no Way would I own one out of warranty. After 9 years of working for them, I have no illusions of what their build quality Truly is, durability wise, it sucks.

If I wanted to make a cross country trip, and I had an open wallet...

It would be a Bentley Speed for me. Older one with the W12. Boom baby.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
B5E670F6-8EDE-477E-BFFC-D8912F2C791E.jpeg

17DD2647-258D-40A9-BE22-3DD48BBAC437.jpeg
463AF8D2-6A86-456E-A527-A238482A7B32.jpeg

My favorite older BMW, Cole Foster’s 71...

Hard to narrow it down to just 1...To try and combine your 3 in to 1, pre 70 that is drivable and attainable, like others mentioned 67 Vette coupe would be high on the list for me. 67 or 70 Chevelle.
67 Mustang fastback. 68 Charger ( I have one and it’s very comfortable) 70 Cuda or Challenger. 62 Bel air bubble top. I’ve had a few 67-69 Camaros and they are a little small inside.

Probably favorite overall, 300 SL.

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score

attitude

Reaction score
Mine would have to be a C6 Z06, it was released when I was 10 years old and my Grandpa bought me a model of it because I had always been a corvette fan as a kid. Something about that car has always stuck in my head. Sure there are better faster sexier cars out there but none of them do it for me like a C6z. I bought mine when I was 23, two weeks before I found out my girlfriend was pregnant and I’ve only been able to drive it about a 1,000 miles in the last 1.5 years my sons has been alive so it will be going up for sale either this week or next. I hope to have a C6 Z06 carbon edition back in the garage someday but for now toys that the whole family can enjoy are more important.
F5F48511-1F3B-41BA-A486-9E17795A5D82.jpeg

spectras only

Reaction score
My daily driver is 99 Viper GTS, track toy is 04 Miata [ turbo now ;) ] TT and boat hauler F-150 ecoboost,, grocery getter, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi [ wife's car ] and two race prepped Go-Karts. I think it's about all I need, maybe🤔

If, won the lotto, I'd hunt down a Maserati MC 12 and make it the one and only car to drive.

1605559350503.png

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
In the market soon for one of these. I miss the V8 in my old M3, but this will be much faster:

1605559950687.png

My old M3: might get another down the line when I have money to aquire a mint condition one with the intention of keeping it forever

1605560067348.png

spectras only

Reaction score
This was my one and only car when I was 19 yrs old. 1932 Fiat Balilla , Looks very Fordish, 😁haha
It had a NSU built engine that was rare. It's in Austria somewhere, restored
.For scooter buffs here, I also had a 1956 NSU Prima 150cc electric start, licensed by Lambretta. Typical German fashion, it was over engineered with a troublesome electric start, and use of Cardan type shaft drive with bevel gear train, instead of the proven cjain drive by Lambretta and Vespa. I had to push start that sucker more often than by the start button. :(

1605560267567.png

Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Lot's of good stuff here.

After thinking about it all weekend and then re-watching my all time favorite movie, American Graffiti I have come to the realization that I always have been and always will be a hot rodder and I can't give up the coupe.

Like some of you said, there really isn't any one single car that can do all of what I'd want in a car and each car has its specialty so I'll just keep what I got.

And there are faster cars out there, especially these days with turbos and computers and such but there ain't nothing like an old school hot rod! I'm lucky enough to have lived through and experienced cruising and even those those days are long gone, it sure is nice to relive them at times even if they are just in my mind.