WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What prop for my toon?

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score
Have a 2006 - 24 foot tri-toon by Smoker craft with a Johnson 140 4-stroke EFI motor. I would like to step up to a stainless prop from the OE aluminum one. Right now the boat hits the rev limiter at will so I know I need more pitch. It's a heavier toon by comparison.
Any ideas?
Anyone in Havasu or Parker that will let you test props?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
There will be zero benefit from spending a ton of money on a stainless prop for the particular application.

I'm guessing you have a 3 blade on it? Find out what pitch it is and step up to a four blade with the same pitch. That should solve your issue for you.

:)

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score
There will be zero benefit from spending a ton of money on a stainless prop for the particular application.

I'm guessing you have a 3 blade on it? Find out what pitch it is and step up to a four blade with the same pitch. That should solve your issue for you.

:)
Yes it's a 13 inch 3 blade, but not sure of the pitch as it was OE.
Thanks Rivermobster

DonS

Reaction score
You might also call Johnson and see if they can recommend a better performing prop for your boat style, engine size and weight.

Riverdad

Reaction score
Bob

Here is my experience with changing my prop on my tritoon. No one has a web site or correct answer for your boat. I searched for days.

What I learned was first, you need to make sure your motor is mounted at the right height. I read a dozen articles telling me where to raise or lower my motor too. Then, I saw a video from a mechanic for Mercury racing who showed where they mount their outboards when they are running. I matched that and got immediate results.

Next, I had to find the right prop for my boat. My WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is 6K. After trying several props, I found a 4 blade 17P to be the best for speed and performance.

Another thing I figured out is that most of the articles claiming speeds my boat should meet with my 225 Honda were all BS. They test them with no fuel and no one on the boat, expect the driver. When I got close to those numbers, I figured that was my sweet spot.

So, the bottom line is make sure your motor is mounted at the correct height and then play with your props until you find the best match.

Reactions: DLC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Bob

Here is my experience with changing my prop on my tritoon. No one has a web site or correct answer for your boat. I searched for days.

What I learned was first, you need to make sure your motor is mounted at the right height. I read a dozen articles telling me where to raise or lower my motor too. Then, I saw a video from a mechanic for Mercury racing who showed where they mount their outboards when they are running. I matched that and got immediate results.

Next, I had to find the right prop for my boat. My WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is 6K. After trying several props, I found a 4 blade 17P to be the best for speed and performance.

Another thing I figured out is that most of the articles claiming speeds my boat should meet with my 225 Honda were all BS. They test them with no fuel and no one on the boat, expect the driver. When I got close to those numbers, I figured that was my sweet spot.

So, the bottom line is make sure your motor is mounted at the correct height and then play with your props until you find the best match.
Alittle more info please... what web site??? what speed???? 3 or 4 blade?