WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Propeller

vdcruiser

Reaction score
What propellers do you guys with high horsepower/fast cruisers use ? Mfg./# blades/size?

Blown Hallett

Reaction score
Call tom Bently at Menkins, give him your specs and he will set you up.

Mike:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
nothing with more than 16" pitch, most stuff is 11.5/11.25x15/16

2 blades for anything over 90 or 100 depending on the boat

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2 blade from Tom.11 3/4x15.We will see how it does.:thumbsup

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I have used a 11 1/4X16 two blade Menkens SS and a 11 3/4X16 two blade Menkens steel. I got leary of the stainless throwing a blade and got the steel. Both performed very well, but I was wondering how the steel would work if I had it cut down to 11 1/2" dia. The boat is a 21' Howard with a blown 548 BBC.

lebel409

Reaction score
What's it do now?

Fast out of the hole? Slow?

HP?

What degree is the propshaft sticking out the bottom?

gears?

All stuff your prop guy will want to know.

Another guy to try is Ron Braaksma, google RBprops.

wrighton

Reaction score
What's it do now?

Fast out of the hole? Slow?

HP?

What degree is the propshaft sticking out the bottom?

gears?

All stuff your prop guy will want to know.

Another guy to try is Ron Braaksma, google RBprops.

All good questions right there to include RPM, out of the hole, cruising, and top end.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
It is a heavy boat, so I don't expect it to come out of the hole like a drag boat. Even with 48% gears it will cavitate the prop if I stand on it from an idle. Once on plane it accelerates pretty good and pulls to about 6300 rpm,(109/110 mph on radar). I've changed the strut to 7.5 degrees and moved it forward 6 1/2" from original. I was wondering if a little more top speed would be possible with a different prop. I am also considering extending the center strakes as they do not touch the water at top speed.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
How about 'more blade rake' to reduce the effect (drag) of the diameter, but not reduce the 'blade surface front to rear area' (bite) ? Do the strakes, you know it will lift the tail dry out the bottom, give more speed and control. I still like 'short stubby wide bladed' 3 blades, like an 11 1/4 X 16 Menkens (Az) they have very low slip numbers on my stuff.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Yes I understand extending the strakes will improve things, but I haven't actually talked to someone who has done it to their boat. I have two 3 blades, a 11 3/4X16 from Tom Bently and a 11 1/2X15 1/2 Menkens,(Arizona). The Menkens was damaged and the blades had to be reduced in size to remove the damage, so he added some cup to compensate and it bites really hard, but I can't turn it many rpm's. The 2 blades seem to be 5-6 mph faster though.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Could it be the 'big gears' won't turn the prop hard enough ? That 'overweight' deluxe family 20 OPENBOW I did a few years ago ran 102 @ 6000 RPMs (just driver aboard) it went WAY FASTER @ 6700. I am your number one cheerleader for 'blade speed', but if it is 'slip sliding away' what good is the blade speed ? We all agree that any prop that will make a heavy cruiser 'run the number' will 'slip like hell' getting onto plane. I always go to 3 blades on heavy boats because I want to make a 'smaller drag window' under the boat. I can get more BITE surface area in a smaller diameter with a 3 blade, and I then gear it to what the motor requires. IMHO more gross weight REQUIRES more 'bite/footprint' than the light flatbottoms we wish we had. Your boat runs great, and I hope you are soon able to 'inch up' on the speeds and control you want from the package. YOU SIR are about 15 MPH FASTER than most of the 21 Howards/Spectras on this planet today ! I salute your continued hard work.

SS 201

SS 201 Schiada
Reaction score
If Dallas cupped the prop you can file some of the cupped edge to get more RPM or speed. That is if he put a edge on the blades, thats how he did mine.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Thanks AzGeo,( George ?) I am happy with the way the boat performs, but like most hotboaters we are never totally satisfied :D. Do you think the extended strakes will add handling and speed or just handling. I freshened the engine this spring and went to a roller cam in hopes of gaining some speed, but so far I haven't seen it, only better acceleration. I'm on the edge now as far as handling goes at top speed. On some runs it feels great and on some not so great. I guess I need to bite the bullet and do the strake thing.

SS 201, I have filed some of the cup off, I just don't want to go to far because this prop is so smooth for cruising and it bites really good.

oldschool

Reaction score
I have a heavy old 20' Hallett SS open bow v drive cruiser running a 496 turbo motor and C500 w/29's. I have 2 props, a steel 11 1/4X15 3 blade Kindsvater and a stainless 10 7/8X15 Menkins 3 blade. I've been using the steel prop, it also was cut down because of damage, mostly. The boat will run in the mid 80's at about 6,200 RPM(don't know how accurate this is because it comes off the vdrive and will"bounce" a bit). TO ME, it feels like I need a prop that will load the motor more and help build boost at lower RPM's.???The boat handles well across the board. So I would guess a larger prop and/or more blade surface would help bring the RPM's down.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I would test an 11 1/4 or 11 3/8 X 16 three blade Menkens. The 16 would load the motor more and the diameter 'should not upset' the boat too much. IF you have a 'round bottom keel, all the way back', you may encounter control problems ???? Often I have had to run 15 pitch VS 16 pitch to attempt in controling the 'hull torque reaction' when the hull has no 'flat spot' or 'delta pad'. If you have a 'round bottom', the next step is GEARS, and with a C-500 our progress hits a big wall....

oldschool

Reaction score
I would test an 11 1/4 or 11 3/8 X 16 three blade Menkens. The 16 would load the motor more and the diameter 'should not upset' the boat too much. IF you have a 'round bottom keel, all the way back', you may encounter control problems ???? Often I have had to run 15 pitch VS 16 pitch to attempt in controling the 'hull torque reaction' when the hull has no 'flat spot' or 'delta pad'. If you have a 'round bottom', the next step is GEARS, and with a C-500 our progress hits a big wall....

Yes, this is a round keel boat, with 4 full length strakes, and it has a C500. Those 2 things aren't likely to change, besides that I don't think this hull was ever designed to be a big MPH boat. One thing I was told is key with this hull is to make sure the plates are flat all the way across. If the are down at all on the outside it will cause the boat to walk. Mid 80's is just fine with this boat. But I do need to try some different props out.
AzGeo, I always appreciate your insite and advise. Thanks.