WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What sold you on your boat?

Your ad here

Reaction score
What was it that sold you on your boat, other than price? Current boat, last boat, or from the past. For me, I was walking up to the gate to checkout this 21' Howard and Alice in Chains was playing on the stereo. I haven't even seen the boat in person and told myself, Alice in Chains is playing, my favorite band, I'm buying this boat. Check it out and it's a clean 1990 boat with 185 hours and all original except for some engine items. 5 days later it was mine.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For me it was the couch across from the drivers seat and the fridge.. well that and the twin 400’s

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I was 13 and my dad was buying it. Pretty sure whatever boat he wanted to buy I would of been on board with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score
What was it that sold you on your boat, other than price? Current boat, last boat, or from the past. For me, I was walking up to the gate to checkout this 21' Howard and Alice in Chains was playing on the stereo. I haven't even seen the boat in person and told myself, Alice in Chains is playing, my favorite band, I'm buying this boat. Check it out and it's a clean 1990 boat with 185 hours and all original except for some engine items. 5 days later it was mine.

I’ve been reliving a 90s revival in my music taste the last year or so. Before you showed up I had STP and sublime playing.

When I do open houses I bake an apple pie in the oven.. Cheers!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Build quality, full cabin with sink/shitter with a freshwater system, and condition.

I'll take an older with dated graphics but is built like tank, than something flashy that the builder may have cut corners

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Local bote company let me do a one off build. This is in Oklahoma years ago...kid can sink it when I take a dirt nap.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The previous owner had taken a perfectly beautiful west coast boat that was a one off in TX and in perfect condition and then managed to absolutely neglect and destroy it in his few years of ownership. I had to save it.

New engine, drive, carpet, 1/2 of the upholstery, engine hatch, seat bases, bottom, rubrail, wrap, stereo, tabs, and a whole bunch of hours later, Im a happy guy.... well mostly 😎

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Something we could get off of on the beach compared to the previous boat which made my wife happy. Mey have to replace it with a pontoon soon though.

RodnJen

Reaction score
All around utility and reverse facing seats. There are many more but that’s a good start.

Backlash

Reaction score
The 19' Howard was a "I cant pass this deal up!" situation.

The 19' Daytona was because the Howard project wasn't finished, and I was tired of sitting on the beach. Plus it looks better sitting in the water than pretty much every other boat made.

The 23' Formula is my retirement gift to myself. It was almost free, and will give me something to work on when I retire. 😁

Wayn-o

Reaction score
It was different than all the others - open bow Hallett Vector

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
😎
'
2EXTK4X7WZAULOV6HAK3V4P2DE.jpg

SoCalDave

Reaction score
First real love was my 1982 Raysoncraft (19.5') with the 1981 225 Blackmax, that was a fun boat that Kyle at WOT Marine has now.
My second marriage was with my 1995 Hallett 210ob. That was a great/solid and more of a family boat that we enjoyed as well.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
Wife said to do whatever I want… apparently that doesn’t mean what I thought it did. So now I have an 84 LTV and a Donzi deck boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We didn't set out to buy new..we were honestly looking at several models and a new high HP pontoon at horizon. We just couldn't swallow the used price for a 15+ year old boat..and I wasn't willing to drop that much coin on a pontoon...even though I really liked it (garage height was a factor too).

I have two kids...what I really wanted was a speedster...but my wife wasn't really on board with their age... Mom was also a factor/part of it (62)...without her the river would have never been a thing for us..and she loves to be on the water. We walked into a situation at Advantage that was above what we had "planned to spend" but wasn't out of our budget etc, and we had time to make changes we wanted...It was one of those "right time, right place, we have the money things." I really wanted a west coast built boat...preferably a havasu built boat bc I'm a firm believer in investing locally.. Advantage IMO was good to us for the most part..we 100% love our X-flight..we're coming up on 1 year of owning it. Theres some minor kinks that I need to call Bill/Bob about but honestly the boat's been amazing. My wife got what she wanted: A safe family friendly boat, I got what I wanted..a poker run capable boat at 29', and mom got what she wanted in spending time with her grandkids.

My favorite things...the cabin..bc MaK can sleep when she gets tired..the fans keep it very cool actually. I crashed in it the 4th of July morning..and didn't sweat to death? lol. The built in coolers (even though I hated them at first), the entry ladder on the trailer that we redesigned, and the fact that it handles rough water very well. The full length Bimini is a godsend on a summer day..well worth the money...The only thing I despise on this boat is the front shower/ladder hatch. I feel like something is off with
ours..and im beyond over fixing it...thast something I need to deal with next week while in town.

In the end..im on the water with my friends/family/kids..and thats why I love our boat.
tempImagekgpqsZ.png

Last edited:

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I always wanted a 21 Schiada since I was a kid. I was looking for a v-drive, open floors and real down pedal(non-electric). Checked out a 21 Rayson Craft and the guy wouldn’t budge on price so no deal. The next week went to GT Performance and checked out the Schiada there, settled on a price and got it. This boat checked all the boxes I wanted except for a back seat. I like not having to worry about passengers though. Sometimes I wish I had bought a “regular” boat. You know, full interior, radio, cleats, naturally aspirated and runs on pump gas. It’s worth it once you get behind the wheel and there’s always room for a second “regular” boat.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I only knew how to drive my first boat at full throttle, my wife refused to go on the boat with me at one point. She wanted a pontoon and I didn't. So I got a deck boat that does 30mph and seats 13. Happy wife, happy life. Plus it was 9k.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
For me it was the thought of having bitches sprawled across the bow...

599706_10151517597999170_481429777_n.jpg

As I got older a nice seating area with a table turned me on...🤦‍♂️

IMG_0206.jpg

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
The gel. These were the pictures I saw on the ad. It was in TX and I was in WI. After sending someone local to look it over, I negotiated a deal and the person that looked at it for me went and paid for it and picked it up after I sent the money.

It’s been all downhill from there!🤣🤣
D29D34D2-E2FE-4129-9AB0-9BD40F80EA0E.jpeg

5874C734-18B9-49D3-B969-52CD693EA434.jpeg

She’s a little different today! After 7 years of messing with it, I’m extremely pleased with the outcome.

2C6BAEAB-5815-49B8-9534-2BA902141DDD.jpeg

C8F45C65-B3F2-440B-A150-A152697C1061.png

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I went to Eliminator with a bucket of cash. Stood around for an hour, and I was just ignored. Obviously didn't need my money. Went to Crownline at Bert's, who said the color I wanted was a year out. Went to Advantage and they said it would be a year to get one ready for me. Went to Hallett and they wouldn't give me a price. Went to Cheetah Bob, and his price was so cheap, I was concerned with their workmanship. Went to Carter Reed at Warlock, he showed me his prototype 25' World Class, and sold me. I know people all talk smack about Reed, but he honestly treated me well.

Singleton

Reaction score
I wanted something more Havasu friendly. Had a V and beach access (getting in/out) was PIA.
Wife wanted something more user friendly with the kids when we beach, etc.

First ride in a west coast deck boat sold us on the idea.

humvkev

Reaction score
I wanted something that would work in Parker, Havasu, and the larger lakes. It needed to be in good condition and is good for the kids and wife. I bought used because the price of a new boat for my young family does not make sense.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Watching it run in rough water... Followed by a ski ride behind it, and I was SOLD!

samsah33

Reaction score
Was under contract for a new custom, but that fell thru and I didn't want to miss a season. Scanned the classifieds and found one with the shape and the engine I wanted with comfort for the wife and could handle the toys for the kids. Win win win.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Lavey and Hallett and both had things I liked but not all in one boat. I stopped in at Howard on my way north one day and for me, the 25 Bullet had all the aspects I liked from Hallett and Lavey in one boat. Plus I get along great with Gene and Mike.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
My dad likely has a different perspective to the actual purchase, but a similar sentiment. Cruising past Ron Pratte's pristine Hallett display at Echo Bay for years made us envious of owning a Hallett. Back when Echo Bay had water, and the number of Hallett's on Overton Arm, was like DCB's on Havasu. Long before Pratte moved to Overton Beach. Those Teal "Happiness is 100ft of Hallett", not a single dock line out of place, just 🤤🤤🤤. The Eliminator was so good to us and never left us stranded, but we were out growing it. The 240 popped up at a boat broker in Anaheim, as a salvage, found it old skool style in Boat Trader, black and white news print. It had fallen off its hoist in Arrowhead, the sides were all f'd from banging into the dock, unattended, and it had big Ski-Race numbers down the side. The O'l Man saw the potential. The gel was repaired, race numbers removed, and once scrubbed up it was freakin' beautiful. First overnight slip stay back at Echo Bay, you bet your ass we had color matched bumpers and the dock lines were coiled perfect each night!!! The rest is history, +20 years, and we are not letting her go!

XClutchboy725

Reaction score
Have had a jet bote for decades, but needed something larger and more grandkid friendly. Was looking at used in the 25' to 28' range but came across this 23' Essex. Was amazed at how much room and seating it had inside for a 23' and she is definitely still a wave crusher for a 23...

IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_8667.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I could afford it! I did like the full bench in the back and the captains chairs. It was also pretty roome for a 21ft. And it was my favorite color blue.

DWC

Reaction score
Top 3 were ride, layout and the sound at start-up/cruise. Fits the whole family and then some with enough power to get underway and out of the way quick.
It does have an embarrassing centerpods but the training wheels don’t befront me. :cool:

1DB79444-AC66-4DE8-BC29-FC019B2D2C15.jpeg
7B0FEF79-75A9-445C-8972-150D4FBD2E58.jpeg
EAEA0EA3-C154-43EF-B49F-0512D2B8F5B6.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I wanted a race deck Biesemeyer flat bottom since watching them dominate the race course as a kid. Being competitive 50 years later is pretty cool too. At some point, I'm going to cut it into an open bow, add a Bimini and neon lighting and park it in the channel all day. :cool:

Biesemeyer Ad RaceBoatInd News April 1975.jpg